View Single Post
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Last night I was BU for a U14 game (FED Rules), and near the middle of the game the runners for the team at-bat started clapping, not in uniform, in an attempt to distract the pitcher during his preliminary motions, and hoping the pitcher would balk. My partner, PU called time, and announced that the offending team should stop immediately. (Personally, I thought it was a little nit-picky, but I had no real problem with the call). One of the base coaches starts yelling, "it doesn't say we can't clap in the rulebook". After the inning, my partner gave the explanation to the HC that he thought it was unsportsmanlike to do during a U14 game (or any game, really), and that he wouldn't have any of it. The coaches respected the reasoning, and it wasn't escalated any further.

Now, I haven't had a chance to get into my rulebook yet, but would this be considered a proper use for using a unsportsmanlike conduct rule from the book? Also, could it be considered offensive interference, since the offensive team is using this tactic to distract the defensive team, and while it isn't verbal, it is still audible for everyone to hear?

Thanks!
I wouldn't call him a pitcher if clapping led to a balk call against him.

Here the team in the dugout stands on the leading edge, claps and yells, "Rip it. Rope it." They do it for every batter. Probably have a few more in their repitour. Every now and then a good one-liner comes out of the dugout at the end of one of those chants that make the fans in the stand laugh. All part of the baseball "playing" atmosphere.

Last edited by SAump; Fri May 22, 2009 at 05:27pm.