The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction ignored?

Runner on first. Batter hits one in the gap. First baseman and batter/runner make contact as he rounds first on the way to second. Batter/runner ends up on second and R1 stops at third.

Is the obstruction by the first baseman ignored because the batter/runner achieved the base he was attempting to acquire?

Thanks
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Runner on first. Batter hits one in the gap. First baseman and batter/runner make contact as he rounds first on the way to second. Batter/runner ends up on second and R1 stops at third.

Is the obstruction by the first baseman ignored because the batter/runner achieved the base he was attempting to acquire?

Thanks
In this type of obstruction, where it sounds like he was obstructed after touching 1B and no play was being made on him, at the end of the playing action the umpire makes any base awards necessary to nullify the obstruction. The award, if any, is not so much the base the runner was trying for, it's the base the umpire judges he would have reached if there was no obstruction. If, in this play, the umpire judged the batter would have made 2B without the obstruction, the obstruction is ignored.

I'm referring here to OBR-based rules. I think the Fed (high school) rule is slightly different.

Okay, I took my shot; everyone else can start picking this apart.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 10:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
In this type of obstruction, where it sounds like he was obstructed after touching 1B and no play was being made on him, at the end of the playing action the umpire makes any base awards necessary to nullify the obstruction. The award, if any, is not so much the base the runner was trying for, it's the base the umpire judges he would have reached if there was no obstruction. If, in this play, the umpire judged the batter would have made 2B without the obstruction, the obstruction is ignored.

I'm referring here to OBR-based rules. I think the Fed (high school) rule is slightly different.

Okay, I took my shot; everyone else can start picking this apart.
Pretty much what I would have said. If the umpire has any inkling that the BR could have possibly made it to 3rd, then he should award R1 home and the BR 3rd. It's a judgment call, and you want to err on the side of the offended team.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue May 19, 2009 at 12:18am.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Technically you are still acknowledging the obstruction, but you in this case acknowledge that the runner achieved the base you felt he was entitled to...
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post

In FED, all obstruction is "Type-B," or delayed dead ball (as OBR would also have in this case). Also, all OBS awards the obstructed runner at least his advance base, or more if needed to nullify the obstruction.

In this case, if you judged that the runner would have acquired 2B (which was also his advance base), no additional award would be appropriate under FED rules.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post

Thanks
There should have been an obstruction call when the BR made contact with F3 ("That's Obstruction!"). That being said, R1 stopped at 3rd so the BR could go no further than 2nd. The obstruction is then ignored. If, however, the BR stopped and returned to 1st, the award would be 2nd base only (R1 at 3rd, remember?).

If there is obstruction on a following runner, the position of the lead runner may end up determining where the obstructed runner will be placed.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
There should have been an obstruction call when the BR made contact with F3 ("That's Obstruction!"). That being said, R1 stopped at 3rd so the BR could go no further than 2nd. The obstruction is then ignored. If, however, the BR stopped and returned to 1st, the award would be 2nd base only (R1 at 3rd, remember?).

If there is obstruction on a following runner, the position of the lead runner may end up determining where the obstructed runner will be placed.
True, but the obstructed runner can also "force" an advance runner to the next base.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
True, but the obstructed runner can also "force" an advance runner to the next base.
I don't understand. Example, please?
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I think what Bob is saying is that if you feel a B/R need be awarded 2B on the play and R2 is there already, you can award him 3B to "open" up that base to award the B/R 2B.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 12:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
I think what Bob is saying is that if you feel a B/R need be awarded 2B on the play and R2 is there already, you can award him 3B to "open" up that base to award the B/R 2B.
That's two chicken dinners!!! Now knock that off!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
That's two chicken dinners!!! Now knock that off!!!
I would be careful if I was you. If you have read one of my other threads Umpire Shirts (like I would ask about another kind) you could tell that I tend to like chicken dinners. (any type of dinner works well with me though really)
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
That's where I'm confused. How can I think an obstructed BR would have attained second base when a preceding unobstructed runner is camped out there?
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
That's where I'm confused. How can I think an obstructed BR would have attained second base when a preceding unobstructed runner is camped out there?

R1. Batter hits a "sure double." He doesn't see R1 returning to second in the belief that R2 missed the base. F3 obstructs BR as BR rounds first.

Put BR on second and advance R1 to third.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Award is minimum of one base. Technically (maybe if the contact with F3 is really big and knocks the runner down to the point where it can't be ignored) you could force the runner from second to third in order to award the base to the B/R. I would be hesitant to do so but maybe in that situation I might.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 02:32pm
Stop staring at me swan.

FED OBS, while similar to OBR Type B, has a one base award beyond what they've already achieved attached to it. Am I interpreting that correctly?