The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Obstruction ignored? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53283-obstruction-ignored.html)

mj Mon May 18, 2009 09:12pm

Obstruction ignored?

Runner on first. Batter hits one in the gap. First baseman and batter/runner make contact as he rounds first on the way to second. Batter/runner ends up on second and R1 stops at third.

Is the obstruction by the first baseman ignored because the batter/runner achieved the base he was attempting to acquire?

Thanks

SethPDX Mon May 18, 2009 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 603017)
Runner on first. Batter hits one in the gap. First baseman and batter/runner make contact as he rounds first on the way to second. Batter/runner ends up on second and R1 stops at third.

Is the obstruction by the first baseman ignored because the batter/runner achieved the base he was attempting to acquire?

Thanks

In this type of obstruction, where it sounds like he was obstructed after touching 1B and no play was being made on him, at the end of the playing action the umpire makes any base awards necessary to nullify the obstruction. The award, if any, is not so much the base the runner was trying for, it's the base the umpire judges he would have reached if there was no obstruction. If, in this play, the umpire judged the batter would have made 2B without the obstruction, the obstruction is ignored.

I'm referring here to OBR-based rules. I think the Fed (high school) rule is slightly different.

Okay, I took my shot; everyone else can start picking this apart. :p

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 18, 2009 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 603027)
In this type of obstruction, where it sounds like he was obstructed after touching 1B and no play was being made on him, at the end of the playing action the umpire makes any base awards necessary to nullify the obstruction. The award, if any, is not so much the base the runner was trying for, it's the base the umpire judges he would have reached if there was no obstruction. If, in this play, the umpire judged the batter would have made 2B without the obstruction, the obstruction is ignored.

I'm referring here to OBR-based rules. I think the Fed (high school) rule is slightly different.

Okay, I took my shot; everyone else can start picking this apart. :p

Pretty much what I would have said. If the umpire has any inkling that the BR could have possibly made it to 3rd, then he should award R1 home and the BR 3rd. It's a judgment call, and you want to err on the side of the offended team.

umpjong Mon May 18, 2009 11:41pm

Technically you are still acknowledging the obstruction, but you in this case acknowledge that the runner achieved the base you felt he was entitled to...:D

mbyron Tue May 19, 2009 07:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 603027)

In FED, all obstruction is "Type-B," or delayed dead ball (as OBR would also have in this case). Also, all OBS awards the obstructed runner at least his advance base, or more if needed to nullify the obstruction.

In this case, if you judged that the runner would have acquired 2B (which was also his advance base), no additional award would be appropriate under FED rules.

ozzy6900 Tue May 19, 2009 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 603017)

Thanks

There should have been an obstruction call when the BR made contact with F3 ("That's Obstruction!"). That being said, R1 stopped at 3rd so the BR could go no further than 2nd. The obstruction is then ignored. If, however, the BR stopped and returned to 1st, the award would be 2nd base only (R1 at 3rd, remember?).

If there is obstruction on a following runner, the position of the lead runner may end up determining where the obstructed runner will be placed.

bob jenkins Tue May 19, 2009 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 603087)
There should have been an obstruction call when the BR made contact with F3 ("That's Obstruction!"). That being said, R1 stopped at 3rd so the BR could go no further than 2nd. The obstruction is then ignored. If, however, the BR stopped and returned to 1st, the award would be 2nd base only (R1 at 3rd, remember?).

If there is obstruction on a following runner, the position of the lead runner may end up determining where the obstructed runner will be placed.

True, but the obstructed runner can also "force" an advance runner to the next base.

Paul L Tue May 19, 2009 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 603105)
True, but the obstructed runner can also "force" an advance runner to the next base.

I don't understand. Example, please?

Ump Rube Tue May 19, 2009 12:22pm

I think what Bob is saying is that if you feel a B/R need be awarded 2B on the play and R2 is there already, you can award him 3B to "open" up that base to award the B/R 2B.

SanDiegoSteve Tue May 19, 2009 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 603178)
I think what Bob is saying is that if you feel a B/R need be awarded 2B on the play and R2 is there already, you can award him 3B to "open" up that base to award the B/R 2B.

That's two chicken dinners!!! Now knock that off!!!:p

Ump Rube Tue May 19, 2009 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 603179)
That's two chicken dinners!!! Now knock that off!!!:p

I would be careful if I was you. If you have read one of my other threads http://forum.officiating.com/basebal...ther-kind.html you could tell that I tend to like chicken dinners. (any type of dinner works well with me though really) :D

Paul L Wed May 20, 2009 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 603178)

That's where I'm confused. How can I think an obstructed BR would have attained second base when a preceding unobstructed runner is camped out there?

bob jenkins Wed May 20, 2009 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 603541)
That's where I'm confused. How can I think an obstructed BR would have attained second base when a preceding unobstructed runner is camped out there?

R1. Batter hits a "sure double." He doesn't see R1 returning to second in the belief that R2 missed the base. F3 obstructs BR as BR rounds first.

Put BR on second and advance R1 to third.

FTVMartin Wed May 20, 2009 02:09pm

Award is minimum of one base. Technically (maybe if the contact with F3 is really big and knocks the runner down to the point where it can't be ignored) you could force the runner from second to third in order to award the base to the B/R. I would be hesitant to do so but maybe in that situation I might.

johnnyg08 Wed May 20, 2009 02:32pm

FED OBS, while similar to OBR Type B, has a one base award beyond what they've already achieved attached to it. Am I interpreting that correctly?