The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction?

Situation - NFHS game. Bottom 8, visitors up by one. R3, one out. Ground ball to SS, who throws home. Catcher blocks R3, THEN catches throw and tags runner out. Runner never got to home plate.
Now, this call went my team's way, so I'm certainly not complaining. But I thought it looked like obstruction, but when I came home and re-read the rules, I wasn't quite sure.
The rule states that obstruction is "when a runner is obstructed while advancing by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is attempting to make a play."
When is the catcher waiting for a throw attempting to make a play? The catcher definitely semed to have blocked, then caught, then tagged. If my perspective is right, should that have been obstruction?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Why in the world would R3 attempt home on a ball hit to F6? Sounds like foolishness was punished.

If the play is 'imminent', its not obstruction, ie, if F2 had to be where he was in order to catch F6's throw.

'imminent' = plate umpire's judgement
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach
Situation - NFHS game. Bottom 8, visitors up by one. R3, one out. Ground ball to SS, who throws home. Catcher blocks R3, THEN catches throw and tags runner out. Runner never got to home plate.
Now, this call went my team's way, so I'm certainly not complaining. But I thought it looked like obstruction, but when I came home and re-read the rules, I wasn't quite sure.
The rule states that obstruction is "when a runner is obstructed while advancing by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is attempting to make a play."
When is the catcher waiting for a throw attempting to make a play? The catcher definitely semed to have blocked, then caught, then tagged. If my perspective is right, should that have been obstruction?
If the catcher is making a play, ie receiving a thrown ball, and the play is imminent, he can block the plate. What is imminent you might say? A rule of thumb is the ball is in flight, directly at the catcher and in the air over the dirt cutout, which should be about 13 feet from the plate. If the catcher was where he needed to be to catch the throw and it was in flight 13 feet from the plate, then I would not rule obstruction. The block, the catch and the tag would have to be bang, bang, bang. It if was block, pause, catch, tag then maybe obstruction is the correct call.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Why in the world would R3 attempt home on a ball hit to F6? Sounds like foolishness was punished.

If the play is 'imminent', its not obstruction, ie, if F2 had to be where he was in order to catch F6's throw.

'imminent' = plate umpire's judgement
Uh, to try to score the tying run maybe? If it took an imminent play to get him then the field and throw had to be perfect.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
If the catcher is making a play, ie receiving a thrown ball, and the play is imminent, he can block the plate. What is imminent you might say? A rule of thumb is the ball is in flight, directly at the catcher and in the air over the dirt cutout, which should be about 13 feet from the plate. If the catcher was where he needed to be to catch the throw and it was in flight 13 feet from the plate, then I would not rule obstruction. The block, the catch and the tag would have to be bang, bang, bang. It if was block, pause, catch, tag then maybe obstruction is the correct call.
Everything here is true, but there's yet another way this is not OBS. If the blocking occurred too early (earlier than in the quoted post), but the runner did not alter his path, then F2 still did not obstruct. Remember that you have to have two things for obstruction - a fielder in a position that causes a runner to react (assuming no imminent play) AND a runner that actually does react (whether by his own will or by contact).
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Catcher blocks R3, THEN catches throw and tags runner out.

Catcher blocks R3 ... then catches throw...... obstruction all day long
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Catcher blocks R3, then catches ball ...... obstruction all day long in my judgement
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt
Catcher blocks R3, then catches ball ...... obstruction all day long in my judgement
Go back and read DG's post again.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Based on this, I would say the umpire made a very good call. Very close where the throw was when the catcher blocked, but in that situation I would figure that the umpire would err on the side of caution in making that call.
Incidentally, the ball was hit up the middle, so F6 had to go to his left to field the ball before turning and throwing home. No doubt R3 should have gone home on that - took a great play by the SS and the catcher to get him.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

I got a fantastic play, no obs. Catcher is in the act of making a play, A catch and tag of a runner, Doesn't need the ball in most rule sets, I believe NCAA he has to have ball right??

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Everything here is true, but there's yet another way this is not OBS. If the blocking occurred too early (earlier than in the quoted post), but the runner did not alter his path, then F2 still did not obstruct. Remember that you have to have two things for obstruction - a fielder in a position that causes a runner to react (assuming no imminent play) AND a runner that actually does react (whether by his own will or by contact).
Negative. If the runner slid directly into the catcher, as he should, he did not alter his path, and altering is not necessary to get an obstruction call. It if was block, pause, catch, tag then obstruction is the correct call.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt
This is a NFHS question, not LL, not NCAA.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Negative. If the runner slid directly into the catcher, as he should, he did not alter his path, and altering is not necessary to get an obstruction call. It if was block, pause, catch, tag then obstruction is the correct call.
Maybe this is just miscommunication.

If by "block" in that sentence, you mean the catcher was in the path of the runner and the runner contacted the catcher, then I agree with you - OBS. (And I would note that the runner's path DID alter - it was altered by the contact with the catcher).

If by "block", you merely mean that the catcher was in the path - but had no effect on the runner, then this is NOT OBS.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 09:52am
BigGuy

Obstruction

We were pretty much taught that if the fielder does not have the ball it is obstruction. "Imminent" is too vague and leaves too much discretion. If you always call it that way, if nothing else you'll be consistent.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
We were pretty much taught that if the fielder does not have the ball it is obstruction. "Imminent" is too vague and leaves too much discretion. If you always call it that way, if nothing else you'll be consistent.

Taught by whom - when?

OBR, FED, NCAA, LL? They all use different interpretations.

"Imminent" is too vague and leaves too much discretion.

That's why you get the big bucks - to decide those things. Get some advice from more experienced folks and learn how to call it.

If you always call it that way, if nothing else you'll be consistent.

But often wrong.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 10:47am.