The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Parents Say The Darndest Things

I know we have posted similar things like this before but I am still chuckling over this from last night.

JV game, I'm BU. First batter of the game walks on 4 pitches, loud parent for the visitors (next to V dugout along 3B line) yells "way to make him work Danny!"

"Danny" promptly takes a sizable lead against the LHP. F1 fires a throw over that picks off Danny easily for the first out. Same parent yells....................wait for it........................wait for it........................

"CALL 'EM BOTH WAYS BLUE!!!"

Oh my gosh, I had to turn around I was laughing so hard!

Old Fri May 15, 2009, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

My partner and I had just finished an outstanding, well pitched 3 - 2 game. As we were leaving, the losing pitcher's mother screams, "Horrible job umpire. We couldn't see where you were pointing when the ball was fair, only the home team's fans could see where you were pointing?!?!?"
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 11:40pm
Stop staring at me swan.

we couldn't even see where you were pointing...

that's a new one.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 11:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
My partner and I had just finished an outstanding, well pitched 3 - 2 game. As we were leaving, the losing pitcher's mother screams, "Horrible job umpire. We couldn't see where you were pointing when the ball was fair, only the home team's fans could see where you were pointing?!?!?"
Perhaps mom should have moved to the other bleachers for a better view!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 11:50pm
Stop staring at me swan.

oh...not the other bleachers...I'm sitting on MY team's side.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Talking

A few years ago, my partner and I were working our 5th game on a very hot day...a couple of guys were sick and two turned ankles...The UIC was a friend...no way would I have orked this many games in one day otherwise.

Anyway, U14...Championship game of COURSE goes into the 12th inning. No runs since about the 3rd or 4th.

In the bottom of the 12th, the first two batters strike out swinging. The 3rd batter walked and stole second. After the second pitch to the batter, the catcher threw the ball over the pitcher's head and it rolled past second base...winning run scores.

A parent yells(then echoed by at least two others: That's how you're gonna let it end Blue? How much did they pay you?

If anyone can TOP that for stupidity, I want to hear it. Notice I said TOP it. I do not believe it can be done.

Joe In Missouri
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

Last week I'm behind the plate working a Jr High game. Pitcher is throwing maybe 50 mph - slow pitches with a big arc. He throws two that are well inside, and just miss the batter who stands there without moving. On the third pitch batter raises his front arm into the pitch and starts toward first base. I tell the batter to get back in the box, no award of first because he intentionally moved into the pitch. Then I hear his father yelling "Get hit in the head next time so I can take, you to the hospital and decide which umpire to go after". Father then comes to the backstop demanding to know my name. All the time I'm wondering "What is this idiot talking about?" I didn't throw the pitch that hit him and am applying the rule as written.
In retrospect, I think he coaches his son to "take one for the team" and was outraged that his little plan did not work.

This guy gets my vote for Moron of the Year. I don' know if this tops your situation Joe, but it comes close.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Baseball parenting is the one area in which the brightest people prove their depth and intelligence by not speaking.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 09:38am
Stop staring at me swan.

We were working a game last night and a head coach was telling us that he has parents in the stands calling their kid's pitches from the stands.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Baseball parenting is the one area in which the brightest people prove their depth and intelligence by not speaking.
There's a lot more than one area...
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
There's a lot more than one area...
You mean comedy's another.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking to: MrUmpireSir

Yeah, you have a moron...but my morons are so much more moronic than your morons....you should be ashamed of yourself at the piddily little moron that you have!
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

jw, you cheated those boys out of a chance to win. You caused the first 2 to miss the ball, then YOU walked the next batter, THEN you threw the ball into center field. To top that YOU didn't call the runner out at home when it was perfectly clear to me that the catcher didn't even have the ball.

I hope you are thoroughly ashamed of the job you did during that game.

I'd love to try to top that, but I can't. The best I get is the typical "good game, blue" with an ever so slight hint of sarcasm. The one time that comes to mind...it was some how MY fault that the losing (home) team had 6 or 8 errors, 4 by the centerfielder in one inning (ball literally hit his glove and fell out). But I AM the one that cost them the game.

OH! One more, rec league not good ball at all. 2 teams from the same town. Some mom yells out some odd ball "your cheating" comment. I stop and ask "It's Calhoun City versus Calhuon City, who the hell am I cheating for?" It was nice and quiet the rest of the game.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Anyway, U14...Championship game of COURSE goes into the 12th inning. No runs since about the 3rd or 4th.
4 balls and 3 balks sends you home in the bottom of the 7th...
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
A few years ago, my partner and I were working our 5th game on a very hot day...a couple of guys were sick and two turned ankles...The UIC was a friend...no way would I have orked this many games in one day otherwise.

In the bottom of the 12th, the first two batters strike out swinging. The 3rd batter walked and stole second. After the second pitch to the batter, the catcher threw the ball over the pitcher's head and it rolled past second base...winning run scores.

A parent yells(then echoed by at least two others: That's how you're gonna let it end Blue? How much did they pay you?

If anyone can TOP that for stupidity, I want to hear it. Notice I said TOP it. I do not believe it can be done.

Joe In Missouri
I can't top this one, but the last coach who mentioned pay to me got tossed.