The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Parents Say The Darndest Things (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53249-parents-say-darndest-things.html)

Fritz Fri May 15, 2009 03:27pm

Parents Say The Darndest Things

I know we have posted similar things like this before but I am still chuckling over this from last night.

JV game, I'm BU. First batter of the game walks on 4 pitches, loud parent for the visitors (next to V dugout along 3B line) yells "way to make him work Danny!"

"Danny" promptly takes a sizable lead against the LHP. F1 fires a throw over that picks off Danny easily for the first out. Same parent yells....................wait for it........................wait for it........................

"CALL 'EM BOTH WAYS BLUE!!!"

Oh my gosh, I had to turn around I was laughing so hard!

:D

njdevs00cup Fri May 15, 2009 07:04pm

My partner and I had just finished an outstanding, well pitched 3 - 2 game. As we were leaving, the losing pitcher's mother screams, "Horrible job umpire. We couldn't see where you were pointing when the ball was fair, only the home team's fans could see where you were pointing?!?!?"

johnnyg08 Fri May 15, 2009 11:40pm

we couldn't even see where you were pointing...

that's a new one.

SanDiegoSteve Fri May 15, 2009 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 602515)
My partner and I had just finished an outstanding, well pitched 3 - 2 game. As we were leaving, the losing pitcher's mother screams, "Horrible job umpire. We couldn't see where you were pointing when the ball was fair, only the home team's fans could see where you were pointing?!?!?"

Perhaps mom should have moved to the other bleachers for a better view!:rolleyes:

johnnyg08 Fri May 15, 2009 11:50pm

oh...not the other bleachers...I'm sitting on MY team's side.

jwwashburn Sat May 16, 2009 02:30am

A few years ago, my partner and I were working our 5th game on a very hot day...a couple of guys were sick and two turned ankles...The UIC was a friend...no way would I have orked this many games in one day otherwise.

Anyway, U14...Championship game of COURSE goes into the 12th inning. No runs since about the 3rd or 4th.

In the bottom of the 12th, the first two batters strike out swinging. The 3rd batter walked and stole second. After the second pitch to the batter, the catcher threw the ball over the pitcher's head and it rolled past second base...winning run scores.

A parent yells(then echoed by at least two others: That's how you're gonna let it end Blue? How much did they pay you?

If anyone can TOP that for stupidity, I want to hear it. Notice I said TOP it. I do not believe it can be done.

Joe In Missouri

Mrumpiresir Sat May 16, 2009 04:24am

Last week I'm behind the plate working a Jr High game. Pitcher is throwing maybe 50 mph - slow pitches with a big arc. He throws two that are well inside, and just miss the batter who stands there without moving. On the third pitch batter raises his front arm into the pitch and starts toward first base. I tell the batter to get back in the box, no award of first because he intentionally moved into the pitch. Then I hear his father yelling "Get hit in the head next time so I can take, you to the hospital and decide which umpire to go after". Father then comes to the backstop demanding to know my name. All the time I'm wondering "What is this idiot talking about?" I didn't throw the pitch that hit him and am applying the rule as written.
In retrospect, I think he coaches his son to "take one for the team" and was outraged that his little plan did not work.

This guy gets my vote for Moron of the Year. I don' know if this tops your situation Joe, but it comes close.

Kevin Finnerty Sat May 16, 2009 09:18am

Baseball parenting is the one area in which the brightest people prove their depth and intelligence by not speaking.

johnnyg08 Sat May 16, 2009 09:38am

We were working a game last night and a head coach was telling us that he has parents in the stands calling their kid's pitches from the stands.

Matt Sat May 16, 2009 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 602585)
Baseball parenting is the one area in which the brightest people prove their depth and intelligence by not speaking.

There's a lot more than one area...

Kevin Finnerty Sat May 16, 2009 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 602591)
There's a lot more than one area...

You mean comedy's another.

jwwashburn Sat May 16, 2009 12:48pm

to: MrUmpireSir

Yeah, you have a moron...but my morons are so much more moronic than your morons....you should be ashamed of yourself at the piddily little moron that you have! :D

ManInBlue Sat May 16, 2009 05:38pm

jw, you cheated those boys out of a chance to win. You caused the first 2 to miss the ball, then YOU walked the next batter, THEN you threw the ball into center field. To top that YOU didn't call the runner out at home when it was perfectly clear to me that the catcher didn't even have the ball.

I hope you are thoroughly ashamed of the job you did during that game.:eek::rolleyes:

I'd love to try to top that, but I can't. The best I get is the typical "good game, blue" with an ever so slight hint of sarcasm. The one time that comes to mind...it was some how MY fault that the losing (home) team had 6 or 8 errors, 4 by the centerfielder in one inning (ball literally hit his glove and fell out). But I AM the one that cost them the game.

OH! One more, rec league not good ball at all. 2 teams from the same town. Some mom yells out some odd ball "your cheating" comment. I stop and ask "It's Calhoun City versus Calhuon City, who the hell am I cheating for?" It was nice and quiet the rest of the game.

umpjong Sat May 16, 2009 08:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 602568)
Anyway, U14...Championship game of COURSE goes into the 12th inning. No runs since about the 3rd or 4th.

4 balls and 3 balks sends you home in the bottom of the 7th...:D

DG Sat May 16, 2009 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 602568)
A few years ago, my partner and I were working our 5th game on a very hot day...a couple of guys were sick and two turned ankles...The UIC was a friend...no way would I have orked this many games in one day otherwise.

In the bottom of the 12th, the first two batters strike out swinging. The 3rd batter walked and stole second. After the second pitch to the batter, the catcher threw the ball over the pitcher's head and it rolled past second base...winning run scores.

A parent yells(then echoed by at least two others: That\'s how you\'re gonna let it end Blue? How much did they pay you?

If anyone can TOP that for stupidity, I want to hear it. Notice I said TOP it. I do not believe it can be done.

Joe In Missouri

I can\'t top this one, but the last coach who mentioned pay to me got tossed.