The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Stepping On the Plate - FED

If I understand the OBR rule correctly a batter is out if his foot is completely out of the batters box when he hits a ball. Therefore, part of his foot could be touching the plate yet he still not be out if part of his foot is in the box, correct?

If so, is it the same for FED? I ask because I saw it called and the umpire said "he stepped on the plate." No one argued but I was curious if its the same as OBR.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
If I understand the OBR rule correctly a batter is out if his foot is completely out of the batters box when he hits a ball. Therefore, part of his foot could be touching the plate yet he still not be out if part of his foot is in the box, correct?

If so, is it the same for FED? I ask because I saw it called and the umpire said "he stepped on the plate." No one argued but I was curious if its the same as OBR.
Nope. In FED, contacting the ball while being in contact with the plate is, indeed, the same as having a foot entirely out of the box. Therefore, the ball is dead and the batter out.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

OBR

6.06 A batter is out for illegal action when—
(a) He hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter’s box.
Rule 6.06(a) Comment: If a batter hits a ball fair or foul while out of the batter’s box, he shall be called out. Umpires should pay particular attention to the position of the batter’s feet if he attempts to hit the ball while he is being intentionally passed. A batter cannot jump or step out of the batter’s box and hit the ball.

Can this really be? nothing about touching the plate?

Last edited by jwwashburn; Tue May 19, 2009 at 11:30pm.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

I made this call in a 18-U wood bat game that goes by OBR. I said, "... the batter's out for making contact with one foot out of the box." The third base coach ran up and said, "What?! What batter's box?" (There was no stripe left.) I said, "He was standing on the plate when he made contact."

He said, "Oh, then he's out," shrugged and walked away, thinking that it was the rule, when I was trying to describe how I knew he was out of the box when he made contact.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 02:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
OBR

6.06 A batter is out for illegal action when—
(a) He hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter’s box.
Rule 6.06(a) Comment: If a batter hits a ball fair or foul while out of the batter’s box, he shall be called out. Umpires should pay particular attention to the position of the batter’s feet if he attempts to hit the ball while he is being intentionally passed. A batter cannot jump or step out of the batter’s box and hit the ball.

Yes. He can have his heel on the inside line and his foot on the plate in OBR. I have size 14s, and this is easy for me to accomplish.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
It's a good thing this wasn't an issue to be discussed with the umps after a recent game.