The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

DH Substitution

Just wanted to check and see if I kicked this one. FED rules, DH batting in the 4 slot for the pitcher. In the 5th inning, coach wants to bring the DH in to pitch and send the pitcher to play right field (original F9 to come out of the game).

Sorry coach, can't do that because they are both locked into the 4 slot in the order and your right fielder is batting 7th. Your pitcher can't move down to the 7 hole.

So instead he wants to make the old pitcher the DH and the old DH the pitcher.

Sorry coach, when the DH comes in to the field, you no longer have a DH, your old pitcher would be out of the game.

Although he agreed with my ruling on his first option, he continued to object with my ruling on the second option. He did pull the pitcher and let the original DH pitch and bat in the 4 hole, left F9 in as well. But he continued to complain that I was wrong on the DH and fielder not being able to swap places.

Pretty sure I still got this right but always like feedback from the forum to confirm or correct.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

You got it correct (in the world of FED)

-Josh
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think you got that one right Fritz. The DH is locked into the 4th spot in the order because that is where he has been batting all game, but the Pitcher is not if he was being DH'd for. If coach wants the DH to come in and pitch, he will stay at the 4th slot and then the former pitcher will bat in the #7 slot for the former right fielder who has left the game.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerblue View Post
I don't think you got that one right Fritz. The DH is locked into the 4th spot in the order because that is where he has been batting all game, but the Pitcher is not if he was being DH'd for. If coach wants the DH to come in and pitch, he will stay at the 4th slot and then the former pitcher will bat in the #7 slot for the former right fielder who has left the game.
Huskerblue,

That is absolutely incorrect for FED rules.

As jdmara said, Fritz was correct in his ruling.

From FED 3-1-4

Quote:
...A designated hitter and the player for whom he is batting are locked into the batting order. No multiple substitutions may be made that will alter the batting order. ...
JM
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

How much Fed rules have you worked?

Husker, you are correct for OBR and college, but Fed is Different. The old double switch does not work in this case. As was stated previously, once the DH enters on defense, the DH is terminated in Fed.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Good point Robert, I wasn't even thinking of OBR since this was a FED game. But in my OP, if we are under OBR, the DH in the 4 hole comes into pitch and stays batting in the 4 hole. DH tag is no longer available. F1 goes to right to replace F9 and now bats in the 7 hole. This is all legal correct?

However, under all codes, when DH comes in on defense for the person he is batting for, that person cannot then go to the bench and become the DH, correct?
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Good point Robert, I wasn't even thinking of OBR since this was a FED game. But in my OP, if we are under OBR, the DH in the 4 hole comes into pitch and stays batting in the 4 hole. DH tag is no longer available. F1 goes to right to replace F9 and now bats in the 7 hole. This is all legal correct?

However, under all codes, when DH comes in on defense for the person he is batting for, that person cannot then go to the bench and become the DH, correct?
Right. Once the DH plays defense his team loses the DH role.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
But in my OP, if we are under OBR, ... F1 goes to right to replace F9 and now bats in the 7 hole. This is all legal correct?
Yes, provided the player who was F9 was batting in the 7 spot.