The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

“Coach Dad” Shenanigans

I have to first preface this situation with the fact that this situation happened during a 13U travel game, in which each pitcher was given a balk warning. "Coach Dad" had already mentioned his stint in AAA to both myself and the plate umpire, the opposing coaches and his players. R1, R2 & R3, with F3 playing back, not holding the runner on.

When the catcher puts the signs down, F3 breaks toward the bag (timing play) and F1 throws the ball to him five feet away from 1B. I call a balk warning. "Coach Dad" questions the call at the time, citing his AAA experience and the fact that I did not warn the other pitcher when he did the same type of play to 3B (this made me seriously question this guy's credentials). In between innings, "Coach Dad" and his posse of five other coaches (quickly fixed that) come out and say this is a legal play. Their justification was that they had already picked off nine runners.

Any good one liners to handle situations like this?
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 07:45pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
I have to first preface this situation with the fact that this situation happened during a 13U travel game, in which each pitcher was given a balk warning. "Coach Dad" had already mentioned his stint in AAA to both myself and the plate umpire, the opposing coaches and his players. R1, R2 & R3, with F3 playing back, not holding the runner on.

When the catcher puts the signs down, F3 breaks toward the bag (timing play) and F1 throws the ball to him five feet away from 1B. I call a balk warning. "Coach Dad" questions the call at the time, citing his AAA experience and the fact that I did not warn the other pitcher when he did the same type of play to 3B (this made me seriously question this guy's credentials). In between innings, "Coach Dad" and his posse of five other coaches (quickly fixed that) come out and say this is a legal play. Their justification was that they had already picked off nine runners.

Not in my game.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 07:50pm

Quote:
"Coach Dad" had already mentioned his stint in AAA to both myself and the plate umpire, the opposing coaches and his players.
Big whoop, I say...I've umpired so many former major league players as coaches and as players that AAA doesn't impress me in the least.

Quote:
"How come you never made it to the big leagues?"

or

"Well, this is how they call it in the big leagues!"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In between innings, "Coach Dad" and his posse of five other coaches (quickly fixed that) come out and say this is a legal play.

"No it isn't. Rule 8.05."
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 08:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

nah...usually people who brag about what they think is a big deal...pretty much take care of making themselves look like idiots...I wouldn't do anything but continue to umpire.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just "you're gone" when he cites his AAA experience as a way to argue your call.

Edited to add: I might only eject for this if he yells out loud about his AAA experience.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
"No it isn't. Rule 8.05."
Exactly, the best way I handle coaches is with the actual rule. Since they don't know the rules it puts them obviously on the defensive.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Exactly, the best way I handle coaches is with the actual rule. Since they don't know the rules it puts them obviously on the defensive.

Thanks
David
Tim_C would say to never cite a specific rule in an argument.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

After further review

This is not a balk.
Quote:
steps to first base and throws to the first baseman who, because of his distance from the base, is (or would have been) unable to try a tag against the runner at first base
What are you going to do now?

Last edited by SAump; Sun Apr 26, 2009 at 09:14pm.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
This is not a balk.
What are you going to do now?
If F3 had no play on R1 it was.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:15pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Tim_C would say to never cite a specific rule in an argument.

I would agree w/ TimC on that one. No need to show him up...he'll probably look it up anyway...or ask one of his buddies at work the next day who "umps" and he'll let him know.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I would agree w/ TimC on that one. No need to show him up...he'll probably look it up anyway...or ask one of his buddies at work the next day who "umps" and he'll let him know.
Come on guys - this is not rocket science. We are not talking about quoting verbatim rules to a coach, that would be as Tim would say OOO.

We're talking, coach comes to discuss rule, (with some dumb observations or other comments as was discussed in OP above). Coach, the rule states that (and we give a very quick but concise rule statement) and then we move on.

This gets the job done, without sounding OOO, and definitely puts the coach on notice, I know what I'm doing and that's what we going to adhere to in THIS game today.

I don't spend much time talking to coaches during a game, just my style.

Maybe I made it sound like we going to be quoting rules etc., or as some would do, pull their rule book out .... just kidding!!!

Thanks
David
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I just read 8.05 again and I don't see anything on this "move". However, J/R says it is a balk if a pitcher "throws to first baseman who, because of his distance from the base, is (or would have been) unable to try a tag against a runner at first base."

I can envision a possible attempt at a tag in this situation if F1 is catching the ball 5 feet from the bag while moving toward the bag.

If memory serves this "move" is covered in the Evans Balk video as well.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

The MLBUM says a throw to F3 not near the bag is a balk, however a throw to a middle infielder or third baseman, not near 2nd or 3rd is NOT a balk!
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
The MLBUM says a throw to F3 not near the bag is a balk, however a throw to a middle infielder or third baseman, not near 2nd or 3rd is NOT a balk!
It also says "and is obviously not making an attempt at retiring the runner at first base". In this situation "F3 breaks toward the bag (timing play) and F1 throws the ball to him five feet away from 1B."