The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I made a post this morning in this thread. What happened to it?
Unaccountable censorship. Welcome to the club.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Why not? It ends arguments almost instantly and prevents subsequent arguments. Follow that advice if you like prolonged and frequent arguments. A quick partial quotation of the wording of an applicable rule has always resulted in a quick and favorable end to an argument.
If you quote a rule number it makes you sound like a smart a$$, number 1, and also you may be off by a number or get them confused so you'll look like a moron if the coach looks it up.

You should use RULE BOOK LANGUAGE if you feel like quoting a rule number.

"Coach, since his throw was the 2nd play by an infielder, by rule, it's 2 bases from where they were when the throw left the fielder's hand."

Used rule book language and applied it to the situation. If you feel like quoting a rule number, add the optional italics portion of the quote to make it sound more definitive.

better than...

"Coach, 7.05g says blah blah blah..."
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Kev,

I re-read your post and it seems like we're on the same page. I think you just misunderstood what the person you were quoting was trying to say. He was talking about rule NUMBERS and not actual rules.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't care if God taught him that balk move. It is still a balk.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unaccountable censorship. Welcome to the club.
Unsupported accusation.

I don't see any deleted posts in this thread.

There was a thread where "flowerchild" made one of his usual asinine posts. Someone responded to it. Both were deleted.

If that was mbyron and this thread, that explains it.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Unsupported accusation.

There was a thread where "flowerchild" made one of his usual asinine posts. Someone responded to it. Both were deleted.

My post was on topic and well-reasoned.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
My post was on topic and well-reasoned.
Probably. But, if it quotes the deleted post, it gets deleted, too.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
If you quote a rule number it makes you sound like a smart a$$, number 1, and also you may be off by a number or get them confused so you'll look like a moron if the coach looks it up.

You should use RULE BOOK LANGUAGE if you feel like quoting a rule number.

"Coach, since his throw was the 2nd play by an infielder, by rule, it's 2 bases from where they were when the throw left the fielder's hand."

Used rule book language and applied it to the situation. If you feel like quoting a rule number, add the optional italics portion of the quote to make it sound more definitive.

better than...

"Coach, 7.05g says blah blah blah..."
I never said I quote a rule number, nor would I ever quote a rule number. I said, and follow this carefully, "A quick partial quotation of the WORDING of an applicable rule has always resulted in a quick and favorable end to an argument."

That's what I said and that's what I do. And it works, and I'm never doing it to be a smart a$$, but for resolution and fair play. Why do you have to be disagreeable?
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unsupported accusation.

You always censor and refuse or fail to accord any poster the courtesy of simple moderation, or at least personal accountability for your censorship of their posts. No reason stated publicly, and no answer to any PM. Nothing.

Moderating a forum always causes less anger and frustration than unaccountable censorship. You should try it.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Probably. But, if it quotes the deleted post, it gets deleted, too.
Sure. Also not moderation.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never said I quote a rule number, nor would I ever quote a rule number. I said, and follow this carefully, "A quick partial quotation of the WORDING of an applicable rule has always resulted in a quick and favorable end to an argument."

That's what I said and that's what I do. And it works, and I'm never doing it to be a smart a$$, but for resolution and fair play. Why do you have to be disagreeable?
Read my retraction I posted directly below that post
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
I don't care if God taught him that balk move. It is still a balk.
Why?

IMO, there have been some persuasive posts explaining why this isn't (necessarily) a balk. Rather than just declaring that it "is still a balk", please explain why you think this is a balk.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO this would be a HTBT situation to start with and both sides of this have spoken. The OP requested some one-liners to use. If this play would have been judged a balk by all of us on this board because we were all at the game and this coach came out and gave that 9 pick-offs crap, this is just a line to use on this former AAA jerkof!.
Many times a pitcher with a good move will not balk 99 times out of 100 but that 1 time he does balk(players are not infallible), and the umpire calls the balk correctly does not warrant the crap about the other 99, and that he has never been called for this before, or he was taught this move by Roger Clemens(feel free to add any other pitchers names), etc., etc. Feel free not to use this line. It may or may not be a line that could or should ever be used at any level, or it may be a line that could only be used at a certain level.

Last edited by tballump; Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 06:02pm.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:26pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
IMHO this would be a HTBT situation to start with and both sides of this have spoken. The OP requested some one-liners to use. If this play would have been judged a balk by all of us on this board because we were all at the game and this coach came out and gave that 9 pick-offs crap, this is just a line to use on this former AAA jerkof!.
Many times a pitcher with a good move will not balk 99 times out of 100 but that 1 time he does balk(players are not infallible), and the umpire calls the balk correctly does not warrant the crap about the other 99, and that he has never been called for this before, or he was taught this move by Roger Clemens(feel free to add any other pitchers names), etc., etc. Feel free not to use this line. It may or may not be a line that could or should ever be used at any level, or it may be a line that could only be used at a certain level.
What?!?!?!
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Don't really see the problem with this play. It isn't a balk. See the Evans video. If F3 is breaking toward the bag and receives the ball 5 ft away he can easily apply a tag with the next step and in doing so is making a play. What is the problem?