The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Publicly - numbers & fingers directed at F1. one-oh, two-two, three-two, etc.

Privately (to B and F2 only) same except 1-0 = one ball, 2-0 = two balls (same for strikes), 2-2 = twos and 3-2 = full. No fingers.

I've been to a bunch of NCAA clinics and no one has told me to change. However, it could be because they were too busy correcting everything else.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I still can't believe this thread (a) exists and (b) is now 4 pages long.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Talk about making little things out of nothing. I once worked with a guy that believed that every time he signaled the count, I was supposed to also signal the count in the field. We are in the second inning and he calls time out to come into the field and tell me this. (true story) My reply was your kidding right? He said "No, I take this stuff very seriously. I then told him that based upon what I have seen of his strike zone so far, I didn't want to embarass him by showing the correct count.

We didn't talk the rest of the game and fortuanely never worked together again either.???????????????????
That's funny right there. I don't care who ya are.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

This whole thread reminds me of why I don't ask some umpires what time it is. Instead of telling me the time, they tell me how to build a watch.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

At a college clinic, the instructors taught to verbalize loudly with fingers on odd counts, except 0-1/1-0, and verbalize even counts to batter and catcher. I've used it ever since and it works greatly to keep you in the game and rarely loose the count.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatty View Post
I've used it ever since and it works greatly to keep you in the game and rarely loose the count.
Do you ever tighten the count?

I verbalize and signal the count on every pitch from the second pitch on, except if the batter fouls off a few, and I rarely have anyone asking me what the count is due to my giving it so often.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Read, Pause, React

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
Do you ever tighten the count?

I verbalize and signal the count on every pitch from the second pitch on, except if the batter fouls off a few, and I rarely have anyone asking me what the count is due to my giving it so often.
Have you ever been told you may be giving the count much too often?
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hardly at all. As I mentioned above, it's second nature to me and significantly cuts down the number of times I'm asked, "What's the count?"
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I thought this thread was funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
What about these...
If the count is...
0-1 say O and 1
0-2 say O and 2
1-0 say 1 and O
2-0 say 2 and O
3-0 say 3 and O
1-1 say 1 and 1
1-2 say 1 and 2
2-2 say twenty-two
3-2 say Count is full or 3 and 2 or thirty-two
Mainly asking about saying twenty-two, I use it, never had a problem. I do not, however, say thirty-two, count is full is what I use.
Is there a scoreboard operator in the park? {HeHeHeHe}

Despite numerous attempts for conformity here after the OP, people who count twenty-two, or Full Count or 3 and 2 or thirty-two or 3 - 2 are not helping matters. Most of us conform by the time we get to two balls, two strikes. I will allow others to say 2-2 or 3 and 2. There is always going to be one in nine.

All nine are NO-brainers, but the those first five are especially O-brainers, and those last three will get mentioned in my post-game too. I do signal after contact or a swing and a miss. I try not to signal after a first ball or first strike call. I do not verbalize the count every single time, mostly w/ runners on base, or request. I never say never. I believe the umpire should not take on scoreboard or announcing duties. I believe it should remain quiet, like in golf, a moment for concentration. YMMV.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Apr 12, 2009 at 02:06pm.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 02:10pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
will get mentioned in my post-game
With all seriousness, what would you post-game with me on this? I would like to do it the way it is intended to be done.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

The d is in the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
With all seriousness, what would you post-game with me on this? I would like to do it the way it is intended to be done.
For example, 1 ball, 1 strike isn't eleven, and 1 ball, 2 strikes isn't twelve.
I believe this is important info to pass on during post-game discussion.
I have been told never to verbalize twenty or thirty or full count.

Your post raises the big question about the need for a verbal "Zero, Oh or No" ball count.
There is no need to verbalize the "Zero, Oh or No" counts.
For example, 0 ball, 1 strike is 1 strike, and 0 ball, 2 strikes is 2 strikes.
Verbalize 1 or 2 strikes, or 1, 2 or 3 balls, only adding "Oh or No" from time to time.

We all have been there, done that at one time or another. Asking for a reason why or for an explanation after using them when I am told not to really isn't a discussion I want to enter. There are some small things like this that are simple to accept by most people. Then again, I don't always do what I'm told either, sometimes I simply forget, or continue to ignore great advice and do the things I want to do.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Apr 13, 2009 at 01:23pm.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
How about two closed fists and the shout of "The count is full"?
I've been to several clinics over the years and it has always been taught that "full count" is slang and that an umpire should always say, and indicate "3-and-2" or "3 balls, two strikes", but never "full count".

Now, informally, if either the batter or catcher asks me "What's the count?", I may say "Full count." But I consider this a private, informal conversation.

To me, putting up two fists indicates that there is NO COUNT. Also, most of the fans don't understand that signal. It's naive to think that none of our signals are intended for the fans.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

I never verbalize the count. I use telepathy to plant the count in the minds of all present.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Whe the count is 2 balls and 2 strikes..... I say 2 "n" 2... I call that the "Chuck Woolery"!!!!! I loved Scrabble!
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Have you ever been told you may be giving the count much too often?
I give the count much less frequently at ballparks with a scoreboard that indicates balls & strikes and is operated by a competent individual. Some ballparks have a 12-yr-old girl operating the scoreboard which usually causes more confusion than assistance since mistakes are constant. In the latter case, I just umpire the game as if the scoreboard did not exist. In my opinion, if the scoreboard is not going to be operated properly, then I'd prefer they just turned the darn thing OFF.

When the scoreboard is managed properly, and when the count is indicated incorrectly (which occasionally happens), I not only remind the participants what the count really is (in case they are relying on the scoreboard), in addition, I usually signal in the direction of the scoreboard operator to get him to correct the mistake - which they are usually only too happy to do.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN