The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Verbalizing the Count? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52690-verbalizing-count.html)

Freddy Fri Apr 03, 2009 07:00am

Verbalizing the Count?

Partner on Wednesday verbalizes the count, when necessary, as I've been accustomed to do, that is, "TWO...TWO", signalling with fingers, of course, with one hand for the balls and two for the strikes. We post-gamed it, agreeing on the clarity of using fewer words, skipping the "and" between the TWO's, and omitting the words BALL and STRIKE.
Partner on Thursday commented to me, "You're supposed to say "TWO BALLS...TWO STRIKES", not just the two numbers." He said, "That's what the book says."
I thanked him for his input, since I'm always willing to yield to "the book" in order to comply with Fed mechanics. But I can't find anything specifying one way or the other.
I know different officials have different habits and preferences, and I come down on the side of clarity with the fewest words necessary. But there a preferred Fed mechanic for verbalizing the count?

bob jenkins Fri Apr 03, 2009 07:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 593773)
But there a preferred Fed mechanic for verbalizing the count?

I don't think so.

IMO, this is one of those situations where you don't want to appear to be "different" -- as long as you're communicating the information, do what others in your area do.

CajunNewBlue Fri Apr 03, 2009 07:42am

I disagree (sorry).
IMHO do it CORRECTLY, even if its different from what everyone else is messing up.
And to my knowledge its always number and something eg: 2 balls 1 strike. and its "foul" not foul ball (i hate that, pet peeve)
In every mechanic book i own its always 2 balls 2 strikes.

peace.

cardinalfan Fri Apr 03, 2009 08:08am

2-2 is one time when I usually don't verbalize "ball" and "strike". But maybe I should. I have seen some batters who probably don't know if it is "2 Balls and 2 Strikes" or "2 Strikes and 2 Balls".

nopachunts Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:21am

I try to verbalize the count only once during the at-bat and that is when the next pitch is a "money" pitch. Either 3 balls, x strikes, or x balls, 2 strikes. If the first two pitches of the at-bat are strikes, I will tell the batter he/she has two strikes and will signal the count but don't verbalize the count until the first ball.
I will signal the count to the BU(s) whenever a runner has advanced on their own, passed ball, steal, etc. or the BU gives me a lost count signal.

Durham Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:28am

Quote:

But there a preferred Fed mechanic for verbalizing the count?

No, and even if there was I would tell you to do what is comfortable for you. If you don't get a playoff game, or if you get a bad rating based on the words you use when you give the count, please allow me to speak with that evaluator.

PeteBooth Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:54am

Quote:

Quote:

Partner on Wednesday verbalizes the count, when necessary, as I've been accustomed to do, that is, "TWO...TWO", signalling with fingers, of course, with one hand for the balls and two for the strikes. We post-gamed it, agreeing on the clarity of using fewer words, skipping the "and" between the TWO's, and omitting the words BALL and STRIKE.
Partner on Thursday commented to me, "You're supposed to say "TWO BALLS...TWO STRIKES", not just the two numbers." He said, "That's what the book says."
I thanked him for his input, since I'm always willing to yield to "the book" in order to comply with Fed mechanics. But I can't find anything specifying one way or the other.
I know different officials have different habits and preferences, and I come down on the side of clarity with the fewest words necessary. But there a preferred Fed mechanic for verbalizing the count?

As with most of these type OP's do what your association wants you to.

MAIN POINT - EVERYONE knows the count.

Pete Booth

cardinalfan Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 593836)
No, and even if there was I would tell you to do what is comfortable for you. If you don't get a playoff game, or if you get a bad rating based on the words you use when you give the count, please allow me to speak with that evaluator.

How about two closed fists and the shout of "The count is full"? :eek:

MrUmpire Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:11am

Quote:

It really doen't matter to me what you use, unless its "twenty-two" when the count is two balls-two strikes, fist banged together to indicate a count of three balls and two strikes.

However, since you base your practice on "clarity", explain to me how 1 - 2 is more clear than One Ball - One Strike.

Durham Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardinalfan (Post 593844)
How about two closed fists and the shout of "The count is full"? :eek:

What is wrong with that? Isn't that what we all use?

JRutledge Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 593852)

No.

Peace

MrUmpire Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 593852)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 593853)
No.

Peace

Durham:

Your humor is apparently lost on some people. Good luck Sunday.

Durham Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 593855)
Durham:

Thanks! :)

JRutledge Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 593855)
Durham:

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...mages/sigh.gif

Peace

zm1283 Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:53pm

I just say "1-2" or whatever the count is. I usually give the count after the third, fifth, and seventh pitches unless the next pitch will lead to a walk or strikeout. (3-0 or 0-2 count) In that case, I just say "3 balls" or "2 strikes" and nothing else.