The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
It's is a given that all officials strive to improve their game...
Unfortunately, that is not universally true.

Quote:
I sat through an evaluation, after the game, and the evaluator spent 99% of the time picking apart all of the things I did wrong. he was accurate in his assessment and i will strive to improve in the area's mentioned.

It would seem to be better if both positives and negatives were mentioned, so, you have positive feelings about your game.
Prior to doing an evaluation, I ask the umpire if he wants information to help him improve, or is he working to move up to higher levels of ball.

If he wants to simply improve, the evaluation is 50/50 positive to items that need fixing. If he is working to move up, say from HS to college, the evaluation is about 25/75 on things that are fine to things that need fixing.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 07:41pm.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

I do believe the 'One minute manager' system works for some things. However, having been on both sides of the evaluation process many times I know that the positives are the things you so not need to work on, if you want to improve you need to hear the negatives.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Cap Crease...

Please explain the 'Little League Crease'.
Is this a crease down the middle or more like a 'Western Fold'?
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

In management training, I learned to start and end an evaluation with something positive. This way the meeting starts and ends well.

You all might gripe about evaluators, but I've never had an "official" evaluation. I have to count on more experienced partners and sites like this to better myself as an official.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon View Post
Please explain the 'Little League Crease'.
Is this a crease down the middle or more like a 'Western Fold'?
I've never heard the phrase "Little League Crease". I've heard Western Fold, Califrornia fold, AAA fold; and I've heard it expressed with "fold" substituted with "roll."

I assume "Little League Crease" is meant as a derogatory term.

I haven't seen a MiLB umpire, A, AA or AAA without it for at least the last ten years. As occurs with many things, it has spread to the amateur ranks. Mny of the D-1 umpires at Regionals, Super Regionals and the CWS had thier caps so styled.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 06:26pm
Stop staring at me swan.

are you referring to the creased bill? that's old school
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
are you referring to the creased bill? that's old school
johnny,

I believe the reference is to a crease across the "crown" of the hat.

JM
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 06:37pm
Stop staring at me swan.

oh that crease! :-) silly me. long week tgif
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 06:38pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I've seen guys use clothes pins on their caps...I only creased one of my hats...the other two guys on my crew had theirs creased...so I was in Rome...no biggie to me either way
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quite a few years back I was invited to work the Little League Big League Western Region in Sacramento, CA. I showed up without any creases in my cap. (note I wrote cap and not hat.) It was quickly brought to my attention by a few fellow grizzly umpires that did some time in our countries Armed Services that we wear a "cap" and not a hat. It was also pointed out to me that it is in respect and honor that we as umpires crease our "caps" in a military fashion. In respect of those that have served, I have since ALWAYS creased my cap prior to walking on the field. I have never served in the military. Just my dos pesos.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
It's is a given that all officials strive to improve their game
You wish.
This isn't a given for anyone being evaluated on anything...whether it's McDonald's workers, umpires, or the top dog of JP Morgan Chase.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

In my association, there is a "voluntary" evaluation program.

If you want one, you sign up on our website, and it costs $20. If you sign up, you get a 2nd evaluation "free". You pick the game you want evaluated, and if an evaluator is available, they "take" it. If not, you pick another date.

The write up of the evaluation ONLY go to the person being evaluated.

In the two years I have been with the association, I have had three evaluations done through this program. They were done by three different experienced guys who are all well thought of in the association.

I was surprised by the thoroughness and specific detail in the evaluations I received. I found them extremely useful and an excellent "investment". They primarily focused on area of improvement, but there were some positive comments as well. I don't think anyone was particularly concerned with my "feelings" while doing the writeup.

The leadership of the association is somewhat frustrated that more members don't take advantage of the program. More should.

JM
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Charging to get evaluated?

Its poor response is built into the cost. It should be $0.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 10:04am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post

If you want one, you sign up on our website, and it costs $20. If you sign up, you get a 2nd evaluation "free". You pick the game you want evaluated, and if an evaluator is available, they "take" it. If not, you pick another date.

In the two years I have been with the association, I have had three evaluations done through this program. They were done by three different experienced guys who are all well thought of in the association.

I was surprised by the thoroughness and specific detail in the evaluations I received. I found them extremely useful and an excellent "investment". They primarily focused on area of improvement, but there were some positive comments as well. I don't think anyone was particularly concerned with my "feelings" while doing the writeup.

The leadership of the association is somewhat frustrated that more members don't take advantage of the program. More should.

JM
If I had to guess, it sounds like maybe it's an external group doing this...probably outside of the association. If my guess is correct, it's really not different than paying to go to a camp, plus you get live game action. I agree, I'd rather not pay $20...but if in your area, that's the only formal evaluation you can get from a competent evaluator, and you're interested in improving...why not?
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post

JM

We have a similar system, but....

Each umpire receives one evaluation at no cost as part of the association's efforts to track performance. If, however, an umpire would like an additional evaluation for any reason, he would pay a sum equal to half his game fee which would to the evaluator to compensate for travel expenses and forfeting the opportunity to work his own game.

Most of those who take advantage of this opportunity are in the lower two ratings classification. Some are experienced members looking to take the step to college ball. We get maybe 20 such requests a year.