View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Just like everything in real life , there are good and bad evaluators.

Some believe that they are truley being helpful by only addressing your mistakes. Some just have no personality to begin with and some shouldn't be allowed to do what they do but, they either know someone or are the only one's to volunteer for a job no one else wants to do. You have to take this stuff in consideration when being evaluated.

I used to evaluate both Ice Hockey and Baseball officials and for every negative comment, I would try to find some positive comments to go along with them. Believe me, it is very very easy to find something wrong with just about every offiicial if you want to. Unless you are being evaluated for a career position, evaluations should be used as a tool for improvement. Ratings are generally too subjective and should be something privately discussed between the association, assignor and yourself. Unless your association assigns by the "good ole boy system." your assignments should reflect how you are progressing. Then again, I one time worked in an assoiciation that ranked you totally by the coaches ratings. Advancement was limited by the need for officials at a given level. Once you achieved Varsity status (and many times this was very questionable) you were there for life.

Best advice is to take into consideration any comments that can be used to improve your officiating skills. Don't be afraid to try new things and you should be looking to improve in every contest you work. Complacency, and not expecting the unexpected will almost always get you in trouble. Experience is the best preparation one can have to face this.

I have seen evaluators stand on the sidelines critisizing the official in front of the public, yelling at the official in the middle of the game, giving officials the same rating no matter how they performed, and yes, also performing evauations just because he was getting $5.00 for every one submitted. Take all these things in stride and if your association is not continually trying to improve the new officials and bring them up in the ranks because of personal greed, then maybe it is time to move on because the association will eventually fall apart anyway.

Good luck, and never quit trying to improve.