The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

What type of evaluations do your associations do? Who does the evaluating, coaches, piers, assignors, former officials, or somebody else? What kinds of forms are out there and which ones work better than others for the evaluating process?

I'm looking at improving what our association is currently doing (which isn't much). Any suggestions or examples of what other people do around the country is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

We currently have no evaluation system in our association.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
I'm in Florida and we have to have an evaluation and attend a clinic every three years. You can check out our state association website at http://www.fhsaa.org, go the officials section and there eval forms there... Hope that helps
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Viking32
Who does the evaluating, coaches, piers?
We typically get longshoremen to do the evaluations.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

The eval forms I use look like this:

Give the official one point for every "true" answer.

1) there was no overtime
2) at least two technicals were given
3) the official called an intentional foul at the end of the game when the defender hugged the offensive player and it was obvious he was fouling to stop the clock
4) the captains meeting took under 15 seconds
5) the official brought enough prescription painkillers to share with the evaluator
6) the official bought dinner for the evaluator after the game

Two point bonus question:
7) the official was more interested in calling the game by the proper rules than he was in his "court presence"

Scoring:
0-7 this guy is toast
8 he gets more games
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Jumped right out at me too, however I passed on that one. I knew someone with too much time on their hands wouldn't be able resist the opportunity.

Mregor
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity officials evaluate JV officials that work the games immediately prior to the V games. Coaches evaluate both the JV and V officials. At the end of the regular season, coaches develop a list of which officials they would like to see in the post season and those officials are ranked and scheduled accordingly.

It's a horrible system that's terribly political. Often times, JV officials are rated low for not staying to observe at least half of the Varsity game. JV officials are also rated low to keep them from moving up and taking away Varsity games from the "old dogs." The form that's used is very subjective and provides no explanation as to what they're supposed to be looking for. How are coaches supposed to evaluate us on mechanics and positioning if they don't know where we're supposed to be and what we're supposed to be doing?

There are a few associations around the country that have their evaluation sheets posted online. A quick search for "official evaluation" should turn up some examples.

Hope this helps
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
We in Seattle do that same as stewcall, However we go beyond that and have evaluation for our varsity folks as well. We each get 5 evaluation per season from paid evaluators, (former officials, Current College officials, etc). if you are interested in the form we use go to http://home.officiating.com/sowb/Doc...serverform.pdf

we use these score to determine position on our varsity and non-varsity lists, playoff and state tourney assignments.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
The eval forms I use look like this:

Give the official one point for every "true" answer.

1) there was no overtime
2) at least two technicals were given
3) the official called an intentional foul at the end of the game when the defender hugged the offensive player and it was obvious he was fouling to stop the clock
4) the captains meeting took under 15 seconds
5) the official brought enough prescription painkillers to share with the evaluator
6) the official bought dinner for the evaluator after the game

Two point bonus question:
7) the official was more interested in calling the game by the proper rules than he was in his "court presence"

Scoring:
0-7 this guy is toast
8 he gets more games

WOW, you guys use the same evaluation system that we do...
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Ouch. Guess I was writing a little too fast huh? Oh well.

Thanks for all the responses, and keep 'em coming if you've got something else to contribute. It's good to see that some of our peers are doing evaluating around the country.

Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Our non-varsity officials can receive a rating each and every game if they so desire because it is a self initiated evaluation. The JV official initiates the process by filling in the top half of a form and sending it to the varsity officials for their input. If you don't ask for input, you generally won't get it -- unless the varsity official saw something that really needs to be addressed. There is a place on the top half of the form for you to point out what you "think" you did right and vice versa. The system seems to work pretty well if you are serious about wanting an eval. Throughout the season, the varsity officals evaluate each other and at the end of the season, they are ranked by the association VP who is responsible for the rating process. I believe that coaches can scratch (blacklist) either 2 or 3 officials and the assignor will usually not send that official to that school. The assignor sends the state league a list of officials to be considered for playoffs at the state level. The assignor decides who does district and regional playoffs.

You can see the form at http://www.cboa.org.