The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Evaluations-Need your help

Fellow officials...Reaching out again for help. Became board member this year with our organization. Trying to put together an evaluation form that we could use for officials that request to have evaluations done for them?? These would be by request only..First do you think this would be a good idea?? and do you think you could show me some links where to find similar forms from other boards?? Thanks for your time
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Our state HSAA has a standard evaluation form which our local organization's evaluations committee adapted. But their starting point was that standard form, so I'd look into that. Why do work that's already been done?
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I've looked at this form previously and think it would be great for evalutions at any level of officiating. It's well thought out, IMO

http://www.naso.org/modelevalform/im...elevalform.pdf

-Josh
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness View Post
Fellow officials...Reaching out again for help. Became board member this year with our organization. Trying to put together an evaluation form that we could use for officials that request to have evaluations done for them?? These would be by request only..First do you think this would be a good idea?? and do you think you could show me some links where to find similar forms from other boards?? Thanks for your time
The one thing that seems most sorely missing in this business to nearly everybody I've ever talked with about it is quality, useful feedback. What you're talking about sounds like a great way to help fill that void for your officials. Kudos to you!

Here's a link to the forms that we use here in northern Utah. http://www.utahhighschoolrefs.org/in...d=14&Itemid=32 I believe we've been using some variation of this form for a few years now. It seems useful to me, as long as the evaluator is providing written feedback, not just numbers for calculating an eval score. The evaluation criteria is linked from the same page.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 02:20pm.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 08:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One More To Peruse ...

RATINGS GUIDELINES FOR EVALUATION

REACTION TIME
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made.

INTESTINAL FORTITUDE
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls - without regard to the score, whom it may
hurt, or how it may effect future relations with the coach.

CONFIDENCE
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her
reaction to a situation.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification.

POISE
Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves tensions and creates a steady effect upon
contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Is courteous and polite.

CONSISTENCY
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example
consistency in the determination of a block vs. a charge.

JUDGMENT
Uses fair and unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.

COOPERATION
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official
Is not overly sensitive to constructive criticism.
Has a sense of loyalty to fellow officials, a willingness to share the responsibility and avoids
attempts to shift the blame.

KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROPER APPLICATION OF THE RULES
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as
important, the not calling of a rule violation will have. (i.e. advantage / disadvantage)

MECHANICS OF OFFICIATING
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the Officials
Manual.

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Is in excellent physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
The one thing that seems most sorely missing in this business to nearly everybody I've ever talked with about it is quality, useful feedback. What you're talking about sounds like a great way to help fill that void for your officials. Kudos to you!

Here's a link to the forms that we use here in northern Utah. http://www.utahhighschoolrefs.org/in...d=14&Itemid=32 I believe we've been using some variation of this form for a few years now. It seems useful to me, as long as the evaluator is providing written feedback, not just numbers for calculating an eval score. The evaluation criteria is linked from the same page.
The form BITS linked to is one that we have used for approximately 7 years now... what you see is that each category (or item to be looked at is 4 points) we stayed away from a 5 point scale because eberyone uses a 3 as a cop-out... This form has more than 100 points but behind the scenes we adjust to a 100 point scale

what we have learned is that is must be constant and used regularly. We also we have found that law of averages takes into account the differences between evaluators. The more evaluations the easier it is to get a good picture.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Thank you

as always, good stuff made available to see..Thanks