Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The best way to handle those ridiculous requests is to ask the coach a similar or relevant question. I have asked on several times, "You want him to help me on a call that he is 50 feet away from?" It makes me laugh when they do not know what to say after such a question.

Peace
I have often answered a request on a close play, "Let's see, you were 180' from the play and you think that you saw something that you want me to ask my partner, 50' away to rule on a call that I was 3' from?" Then I usually turn and walk away before they can answer me.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 07:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The best way to handle those ridiculous requests is to ask the coach a similar or relevant question. I have asked on several times, "You want him to help me on a call that he is 50 feet away from?" It makes me laugh when they do not know what to say after such a question.

Peace
I had a coach last season who simply couldn't believe I wouldn't get help on a routine play at first from the A position (he thought there was a pulled foot - there most certainly was not). He was stunned to the point of not knowing what to say, so I turned and walked away from him.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I had a coach last season who simply couldn't believe I wouldn't get help on a routine play at first from the A position (he thought there was a pulled foot - there most certainly was not). He was stunned to the point of not knowing what to say, so I turned and walked away from him.
I had one ask me to get help on a close play at the plate with my partner out in deep C with runners on the bases.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
I have decided that if the Managers and HC's are going to request me getting help on the routine, I will in turn ask him to get help on his game strategy. I used to ask each HC at the plate meeting if I in any way helped them make out their line-ups. After each assured me that I had not, I then informed them that since I didn't help them, I would not require their help umpiring.
This must be a joke. Saying that at a home plate meeting is unthinkable.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Your the man OZZY

I believe there is a moderator on another Forum that would say "here we go with that "help" stuff again? Baseball is a game of judgment calls not help calls.
These coaches know exactly what they are doing when they try to make you look bad to the crowd by asking for help all the time and watching umpires get help all day, or by not getting help and then giving those looks of disbelief when the umpires do not. They are just playing you against one another knowing that this area is one of those areas that can make you look bad to the crowd either way, and make them look good, like they are doing their job at your expense. I believe getting help all the time on the field would put one in the "Smitty" column of umpiring for ones field work rather than the usual Smitty uniform part. Besides, I believe "help" was the name of a song anyway.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

When I was younger (so much younger than today), I never needed anybody's help in any way. But now these days are gone, and I'm not so self assured. Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors ... so to speak.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Its ironic that in basketball and football, we hear the complaint from coaches/fans- "you cant call that from back there", when a thrown flag or whistle comes from the official farther away than a partner, but in baseball its just the opposite (in coaches minds)....
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Get the Call Right (Headline of first page of NFHS Baseball Guide, done by Referee Magazine {add your own opinion here})

"For years, umpires at all levels were told to make the calls that belonged to them without getting help. That philosophy is outdated and must be discarded. (my emphasis). The new umpires manual has included four paragraphs on the importance of getting the call right."
Perhpas it's the "water" but I am with Ozzy about this getting the call Right business.

It's too bad the below philosophy is not adhered to anymore. Ah the good ole days

From the archives, Carl's infamous FAB V

Quote:
The FAB 5 (When calls may be legally changed)

1. Half swing called a ball changed to strike. (OBR 9.02c CMTs 1, 2, 3)

2. Two umpires make opposite calls on the same play. (common sense: only one can be accepted)

3. An umpire misapplies a rule. (9.02b/c)

4. Home run changed to double, vice versa; fair to foul, vice versa on balls hit out of the park. (professional practice)

5. "Out" called on a tag play, but the ball falls free, and another umpire observes it. (JEA 9:15-16)

The Terrible Three (Three times a call CANNOT be legally changed after it's made)

1. Swipe tag
2. Force play (or play on BR at first)
3. Fielder on/off the bag

ANY call can be corrected:

Carl: "He's out!" Then, immediately: "No, no, no. Safe! The runner is safe!!" That's bad timing -- but it's legal.
Pete Booth
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Its ironic that in basketball and football, we hear the complaint from coaches/fans- "you cant call that from back there", when a thrown flag or whistle comes from the official farther away than a partner, but in baseball its just the opposite (in coaches minds)....
In fact, in baseball it's exactly the same thing: coaches working the officials to try to get a more favorable call.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Rarely do I encounter a truly great coach. And even among great coaches, I have never encountered a coach who's a better umpire than even me.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Read and take head of the coach's warning the very end.
The Baseball Scorecard
Get the call right. There is only one call.

the thread you linked to seems to have nothing to do with this thread in this forum, plus it's 5 years old.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

4.12 Crew Consultation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
the thread you linked to seems to have nothing to do with this thread in this forum, plus it's 5 years old.
Dignity or "fairness" is fine, but getting the call right is better.
Those are some very respected officials (AB and Allan), but I happen to agree with RunsCreated.
Add D3K and balk calls to Pete's list of Carl's list, unless they fall into #2.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Dec 31, 2008 at 03:39am.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
[post title: MLBUM 4.12 Crew Consultation]
Dignity or "fairness" is fine, but getting the call right is better.
Those are some very respected officials (AB and Allan), but I happen to agree with RunsCreated.
Add D3K and balk calls to Pete's list of Carl's list, unless they fall into #2.
Is that a direct quote from the MLB manual? I don't know of any MLB umpires named AB, Allan, RunsCreated, Pete, or Carl. Are they executives?
Closed Thread