The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:19pm
Huck Finn

How is the preseason in your area?

I was just thinking about the games I've had so far. We start early here so with college and high school double-headers I've already had about 15 games.
I don't really remember a good game yet. It seems like both high schools and colleges have either single games or tournaments involving teams they know they can beat. Is it coincidence or is it that way where you live too?
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:33pm
Lighten up, Francis.

My high school schedule hasn't started yet, but my D3 game yesterday was fantastic. Two quick athletic teams, both shot pretty well. Ended up a 6-point game.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:51pm
Huck Finn

I bet that was fun. None of my college or high school games have been close.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
My high school schedule hasn't started yet, but my D3 game yesterday was fantastic. Two quick athletic teams, both shot pretty well. Ended up a 6-point game.
What?!? No overtime?!?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I've had a couple of close ones, and a couple of blowouts. One of the close ones was two bad teams playing each other, and one blowout was a small-school girls team that blew out the large-school team.

I haven't noticed anything different this year than past years; it seems like teams just haven't hit their stride yet.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
None of my college or high school games have been close.
Yeah - traveling can be a bit*h.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

What do you mean by Pre-season? I have an idea but I am not completely sure.

The reason I ask is because there is no such thing as pre-season where I am from unless you are talking about scrimmages and games that do not count. Even college games at the level I work are for real now. They might not be conference games, but they count towards rankings and record.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Game 1: HS Varsity (Girls); Final score 76-33.

That's all we have had so far.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have to admit my biggest frustration here is little to no pre-season and off-season basketball. first scrimmages are this weekend, and those schools whose football teams are in the playoffs aren't generally participating.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 05:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
1st scrimmage this Saturday. 2nd one on Monday. 3rd one on Tuesday. Then the season starts.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

My first scrimmage is tomorrow. My first game is next week.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

My .02

I have not officiated Bk in a long time, say 12-15 years, except for some JH/MS stuff to help some people out.

This year, I have done a lot of HS boys and girls BK, pre-season scrimmages for them. My pre-season has been great:

1. 3-man is stealing compared to 2 man stuff. I can count the number of times I was out of position on one hand, though I still react a little too slowly to TO's when I am Trail. that's fixable.

2. The game is much more physical, and since I called a tight game in the past, it has been a transition for me. There is too much reaching and grabbing, and defenders seem to believe that if I don't extend my forearm very far I can ride the driver, or block him from the cut to the hole. To me, I see a lot of fouls others don't call. I may need to make adjustments, but I have a hard time not calling blocks/holds on defenders who ride hands on a hip down the lane, lead with a forearm, or constantly hand check/off/hand check. The contact may be cheap, but advantage/disadvantage is crucial here, and I see too many defenders giving the slight to medium bump or hold, and thinking they can get away with it since it's not heavy contact, but it affects the o players drive.

3. Post players are really sloppy, everyone wants to move all the time, with motion offenses, no posts offenses who flash four or five different people in, but none of them can move inside well, or make a legal move inside w/o a travel. On the same side, everyone wants to run, and play up tempo games, and so many teams settle for bad shots, cheap TO's, or make some stupid play with the ball into a bad shot because they hear Coach A say, push it, push it.

4. I've sen too many quarters end up in a hackfest, esp. when one team plays full court and the other team has quick guards that abuse the pressure. It's either give up the layup, or give the foul, and too many people give the foul instead of just playing good old fashioned half court man.

5. Another reason why play is so physical is that shooting is so bad these days. Man alive, can't anyone hit a 15' j anymore? No let's throw up a 3, or an out of control drive then send 3 or 4 to the boards and and win the scrum inside. Yuk!

But, I got a say, for all the complaints, it is fun to be doing it on the court again. I never realized how much I missed it. Just like I miss so much being in the circle, another change I am making...
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Our last scrimmages were tonight

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
I have my first Scrimmage (Girls Varsity) tomorrow morning. It's been a while since I've done some basketball and I'm nervous. It's gonna take some time to get the cobwebs out

I guess I'm glad it's at a scrimmage and not a real varsity game.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

First scrimage tonight Girls V..looking forward to getting back on the court.a couple of more scrimages next week..then the season starts for me the first week in December. Just a god time of the year..Officiating sure helps me get through the long winters up here in NH