The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Hey everyone – My first NFHS BASEBALL game is this weekend in NJ and would like some opinions from other officials (The more responses the better) (for mechanics – please indicate your own personal mechanics for the following – plus any suggestions)

1)What is your typical strike mechanic? Some use the NFHS/ASA/ NCAA punched fist *(like an out signal) some still pointÂ…
2)What is your typical strike three (sell) mechanic? punched fist or arm up, punch or other
3)How do you signal play? (Waive emÂ’ in? point?) Do you verbalize?
4)Foul tip mechanic – The hand sweep or the arm sweep?
5)What does your pre-game duties consist of? How long do you wait until you get dressed without a partner? EtcÂ…
6)Tips/Comments on Sunglasses?
7)Tips/Comments on Mask or Hockey Helmet protector – Left hand removal?
8)Tips/Comments on one ball bag or two?
9)Tips/Comments on how you keep your lineups (do you rewrite them, etcÂ…)
10)Any additional tidbits?

Thanks
Pat
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have attended a local one ... But I wanted everyoneÂ’s opinion

I was told some of my mechanics are wrong - but its bad habits...

1)I still point for strikes
2)I "punch out" the batter on strike 3
3)I signal play by pointing... Or stop sign
4)Foul tip mechanic – The hand sweep
6)Sunglasses? Yes... If needed
7)Mask or Hockey Helmet - Own both --- use mask more often
8)one ball bag
9)keep your lineups the coaches give

Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

1)What is your typical strike mechanic? Some use the NFHS/ASA/ NCAA punched fist *(like an out signal) some still pointÂ…

I use the Gerry Davis like many others, we hammer the strike call.

2)What is your typical strike three (sell) mechanic? punched fist or arm up, punch or other

Straight forward bow and arrow. (Left arm forward and slightly down; right arm follows and is dramatically snapped back, like you are drawing a bow.)

Universal mechanic, point at the pitcher with right hand and say, "Play". If he is sleeping or taking too long - right hand out and a quick 'beckon' motion with your hand is all it takes.

A lot of guys use the whole forearm because they are holding a 'clickacounterindicator'. They don't want to risk losing it while indicating the strike. I just turn the hand over and swipe the back of the hand skyward twice. If it is the third strike, I then hammer it forward.

5)What does your pre-game duties consist of? How long do you wait until you get dressed without a partner? EtcÂ…

The parks I work usually have locker rooms. I set my gear in there and may head to the field if it is new to me. This allows a couple of things to happen; I can scout any problems and alert my crew and it shows the staff that the crew is arriving. If you are working a two man game and don't see a partner fifteen minutes prior...get dressed and hope that he shows up.

Use them on the field when necessary. Bolle, and Oakley make nice ones. I don't like the way it looks on a PU. But, if they built your fields so that the batter is looking into the sun, have at it.

More and more guys are going to a HSM, but I'm too old to want to try it and too cheap to buy one. Always remove and hold your mask with your left hand.

I use two, but that is something I've done for too many years. On a college field, you usually have a ball boy or team member to bring you extra baseballs. I don't like to have to wait and it feels more balanced.

Davis, +POS and Honig all make line up holders. I use a GD one and found a pen the same size as a bullet pencil. I like to use pen because it is permanent.

Get there early, don't fraternize with the teams/coaches/fans, trust your partners and have them trust you, always carry more gear than you think you'll need, clean your gear after every game (it'll last longer and it's ready when you're late the next day!), try to debrief the crew for a few minutes after the game, NEVER leave before your partner(s), bring some water and a small first aid kit for your trunk (for headache, cut or stinger), call your partner(s) the night before so there are no surprises, don't sweat the small stuff (it's all small stuff) and RELAX!

Good luck and let us know how you did.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

1)pointing for strikes isn't too bad....schools teach the fist, but you can get away with it...
2)keep your mechanic straight out in front of you (ie, pointing towards home) i prefer "the lawnmower", but that is just me
3)Signal and say it. Every single time. Mix it up a bit as well (ball's live, let's play, play, etc.)
4)That is the only foul tip signal. make sure to follow it with the strike signal
5)Make sure to cover players being properly equipped, special ground rules, substitutions, and pick a point of emphasis. I will wait in the parking lot until 5 mins before game time. If partner isn't there by then, time to go it alone.
6)Sunglasses. Absolutely if your vision is impaired by the amount of light. Don't keep them on if you don't need them. And make sure to buy ones that stay on your face and are impact resistant....i use oakley m-frames (cheap on ebay!)
7)Pure preference
8)one ball bag is all i ever need, but sometimes i do two if i am on a field where a lot of balls are lost.
9)you need to do more than just keep the lineup cards. You need to keep the actual lineup, and learn the substitution rules. Remember, any starter gets reentry

Good luck!
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
Hey everyone – My first NFHS BASEBALL game is this weekend in NJ and would like some opinions from other officials (The more responses the better) (for mechanics – please indicate your own personal mechanics for the following – plus any suggestions)

Thanks
Pat
A lot to ask.
1) Fist, as if pounding on a door.
2) Right arm with a fist towards the pitcher, and then exchange with the left.
3) Point with right hand shaped like a pistol, verbalize loud enough for batter and catcher only.
4) Right hand sweep across the top of left hand.
5) Get dressed when I get there.
6) Wear them when needed, bases or plate.
7) Mask
8) Two. I keep pen, brush, car keys, small sweat rag, (small bottle of water sometimes) in the left bag, along with one or two baseballs. In the right bag I only keep baseballs (I am right handed). Start every inning with at least one in the left and two in the right. Better to have two in each.
9) I take the lineups from the coaches and then keep changes on a form I designed. The form is in the left bag with the pen.
10) Tips - ball/strike, fair/foul, safe/out. Getting these right are most important. Develop a plate stance where you track the pitch with your eyes, while not moving the rest of your body. Track it straight to your mask if necessary. A bobble head doll calling pitches is not good.

[Edited by DG on Mar 8th, 2006 at 11:48 PM]
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
hammer. i used to be a pointer when i worked the box, and i got in the bad habit of trying to be a big shot and looking to the side when pointing. i use the hammer now, and i like it.

Quote:
the old motion where you look like you are tearing a piece of paper in half. i do it straight back from the catchers helmet, rather than how some do it from the side. of course that is only on a looking strike three. if you were talking about selling a third strike not caught or something, a stronger hammer works here.

Quote:
point and say 'play' to start an inning. this may be a bad habit, but after a foul ball or something along those lines, i dont verbalize those but i do make sure that i point the ball in. i make sure we are all ready to go, and point it in.

Quote:
go over coverages, partner-to-partner signs (for rotations and such), etc. standard pre-game. as far as getting dressed without a partner, i really dont know since ive never had to do it, but i guess if it was like 15 minutes before the game id suit up for the plate. i am hoping like hell that this never happens.

Quote:
oakley m-frames with the hybrid lenses. i used them when i played, i use them when i umpire. i dont wear them off the field though.

Quote:
im not going into hockey helmets, but never take off any mask with your right hand. i have it so ingrained in my head that i wont even pick up a mask with my right hand, out of my bag, off a shelf, etc.

Quote:
i like using two, for two reasons. one being that i am usually given 5-6 balls to start, and new ones come in here and there when a ball gets too crappy. 5-6 balls dont fit in a single bag. the second reason is being that i like the look of two bags a lot. even when i work summer ball and stuff where we get like 3 balls, they all fit in one bag but i still use the same system i do for when i have 6 balls. i work out of my right bag all the time. new balls i get go in the left, and i filter them through to the right.

Quote:
tee has a good system for this that i am going to be checking out this year. traditionally i have just used the sheets given to me at the plate meeting and its gone just fine, but i want to try out tims system and see how it works for me.

Quote:
have a great first season, im sure you will do fine
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Thanks....

Thanks everyone for your comments –
I know I have to break the habit of “the point” for strike… and this is the first season I’m working with other schools that assign themselves… so, I wanted to know your comments on partners not showing up…

Thanks Again
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Pat,

I may be the dinosaur in the group, but I still point for strikes. I don't turn my body away from the plate, most of the time if my body turns slightly I try to keep my head looking forward towards the plate. I know the hammer is an exceptable signal but I have a reason for pointing. I use the hammer when a player is out. In other words on a swinging strike three, I will use the hammer. I use the bow and arrow for a call strike three (straight back and no head or body turn). I have been doing it this way for the last 8 years or so and no one has asked me to change. Futhermore, the Eddings incident last year solidified my opinion that a called strike and an out need to have a different signal. I know some will disagree but that's my reasoning behind the point..

Lawrence
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Strike Three

I agree about the whole strike three mechanic - even the NFHS umpire manual (baseball) says that you should "experiment" and it needs another very visible mechanic
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Pat,

Are you being told that you can't point a strike?
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Yes...

I was evaluated by a "SR" umpire and he told me that it's the old mechanic... Ive been calling balls & strikes for 5 years (rec & some HS) but now...

He said the arm punch is the "ONLY" mechanic that should be used...

Ill try to keep him happy but personally I like the point.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence_Dorsey
Pat,

I may be the dinosaur in the group, but I still point for strikes. I don't turn my body away from the plate, most of the time if my body turns slightly I try to keep my head looking forward towards the plate. I know the hammer is an exceptable signal but I have a reason for pointing. I use the hammer when a player is out. In other words on a swinging strike three, I will use the hammer. I use the bow and arrow for a call strike three (straight back and no head or body turn). I have been doing it this way for the last 8 years or so and no one has asked me to change. Futhermore, the Eddings incident last year solidified my opinion that a called strike and an out need to have a different signal. I know some will disagree but that's my reasoning behind the point..

Lawrence
You are not the 'lone' dinosaur. I point for strikes & never turn my body or head. I stand up, point & I continue to face forward so that I can keep my eyes on the ball. The hammer strike mechanic looks too much like an out to me but a lot of people use it, especially in softball around here. My 3rd strike mechanic is exactly like yours.

The associations I work for worry less about our strike mechanics (point or hammer) and more about our strike zone consistency.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Thanks
Pat
[/B][/QUOTE]

1. I point to the right side
2. I pull back the right arm, and yell like a dying cow!
3. I point at F1, and yell, PLAY!
4. brush my fingers as I do when I eat to wipe off crumbs
5. I begin getting dressed once I arrive, without a partner, I still get dressed when I arrive, about 30 min.
6. I wear Oakley in the field, glare shield on my day mask. Yep, I have a day mask, and night mask does not have a shield.
7. I wear the Gerry Davis mask, I use my right hand-instinct.
8. I use 2 bags, it looks better and holds more balls, fewer delays. =====
9. I use what the coaches give me, I keep the changes, I also have the card for CR and such.
10. Just stay calm, relaxed and don't be to anxious behind the plate. When calling balls and strikes, when the F1 catches and you know it's a strike, say to yourself, "that is a strik." Then, yell, your strike sound. The same goes for balls. Remember, you have a partner, you don't have to do it all yourself.

Good luck
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Yes...

Quote:
I was evaluated by a "SR" umpire and he told me that it's the old mechanic... Ive been calling balls & strikes for 5 years (rec & some HS) but now...

He said the arm punch is the "ONLY" mechanic that should be used...

Ill try to keep him happy but personally I like the point.
Pat,

The SR evaluator that is trying to help you improve as an official isn't doing a very good job of focusing on the right thing. I mean, rules interpratation and knowledge, judgement, positioning, situations, any of this type of stuff then ok, listen to him, but style? You're working a new level of ball for you and he is worried about your style? Come on!

There is nothing wrong with the point at all, and many top college and professional umpires point. In fact I worked a Div 1 series this past weekend and all 3 umpires on the crew pointed. Infact I have worked roughly 25 Div 1 games and another dozen JC games this season and every single umpire pointed.

Point is a strike, hammer is an out. Safest thing to do IMO.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

This past weekend at the 3 day Evans Clinic it was taught that a strike call is a personal selection. The only taboo is to NEVER turn to the side to make the call. ALWAYS keep shoulders square to the field and make "a" strike call.

Seems pretty simple to me. Can't wait for one of the six "all time" crew chime in.

But, of course, this is just my opinion.