The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I have been asked to work a couple of preseason scrimmages --high school varsity. The AD says he wants to pay a half fee, even though he paid full fee last year. He said he was going to talk to other ADs in the league to see what they do, but someone must have spoken to him -- hence the change.

My assignor just shrugs when I ask. He says it is up to each team.

Are there any set "rules" in your area/association for getting paid for scrimmages? Last year, I think we had two or three 20-minute stopped time periods with the score cleared after each period. Otherwise, we play under "game conditions" (except there are few people in the stands.)
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

We don't get paid for scrimmages

The schools pay the chapter for scrimmages. We use the time to perform in front of coaches and get ready for the season. The money they pay the chapter goes for training fees and end of season activities.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Schools only pay $25 for a 2 hour scrimmage in my area. We put all scrimmage money in the association General Fund and sped it on training.

So we don't receive anything for scrimmages.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

In Southern Wisconsin, it varies. Some pay JV Fee ($35), some pay varsity fee ($55), some don't pay. Our association is even working a 4 school (V,JV,F) girls scrimmage for no pay. We get the gym two hours before the scrimmage to run a clinic. That is our pay.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Around here, HS scrimmages are donated. College scrimmages pay $100 for all the officials to split between them.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 04:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Just last week.

I have done scrimmages that pay and scrimmages that do not. I think you have to decide what is OK for you. How many games are you doing and what levels? How many officials are present? I would try to get as much as possible, but at the same time I have done them for nothing (not necessarily my choice). As a matter of fact I attended a college camp last week (on Columbus Day) and traveled over and hour from my house and was not paid anything. But it was a required meeting for an assignor and that was the best time. Sometimes you have to give back for all the money you make during and after the basketball season.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 05:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Also keep in mind that many insurance plans (not personal medical, but referee liability insurance) do not cover you for scrimmages.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 06:04pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Also keep in mind that many insurance plans (not personal medical, but referee liability insurance) do not cover you for scrimmages.
...And many other plans do cover volunteers.

mick
LL Umpire

Glad yer well, Padgett.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Scrimmages in Portland are unpaid.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

In my area, a normal game fee is given to the officials. Usually in a situation like this, it is given by cash on the spot rather than the association sending a bill for the game.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In NC, if you're working an NCHSAA sanctioned game or scrimmage, the association insurance covers you.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
...And many other plans do cover volunteers.

mick
LL Umpire

Glad yer well, Padgett.
Yes, indeed, and there are rumors that Padgett is also re-upping. Just rumors, mind you...
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
In NC, if you're working an NCHSAA sanctioned game or scrimmage, the association insurance covers you.
Same thing in VA. We work scrimmages for free. A scrimmage is usually 6 quarters (think the schools can only have 2 scrimmages) and we usually have 5 or 6 officials there. We run 3-whistle for all varsity scrimmages and we trade off quarters. We use the "off" quarter to critique each other. The coaches can usually request a stop at any time so they can make a "coaching" point to the players. The score is cleared for each quarter and in most instances, we run a quarter w/o shooting any F/T's (except when shooter is fouled) and the next quarter every non-shooting foul is 1 & 1.

The association "requires" each official to work 4 scrimmages -- some of us work more and some work less. The scrimmages also allow JV officials to maybe work a varsity scrimmage.