The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
I'd wear a football helmet if I thought I was in danger of falling.

Every umpire thinks about reducing the risk of injury. Standing behind the plate amounts to standing on a hilltop during a thunderstorm. One is taking a risk, however small the risk may be.

Someone stated that the risk from a concussion while wearing a mask or HSM is about even. There is no evidence one offers any better protection than the other. The main idea is to significantly reduce the risk of concussion by removing the danger.

I believe those who say it easy to take off a HSM once they pass the "muscle memory" stage. Why would they be opposed to wearing a chin strap? It applies the same muscle memory requirement w/out the danger imposed by that dangling throat guard. If I were hit that hard, I rather worry about the integrity of the frame than my state of well-being? BIWSTFAD!
SA, this post (and this whole subject) make no sense! I leave you to your fantasies - enjoy!
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
SA, this post (and this whole subject) make no sense! I leave you to your fantasies - enjoy!
At last, the voice of reason has spoken!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Can-he-leave-her

I understand your position about the chin strap. The original idea was safety. Worse things were said about the seatbelt. Wearing a seatbelt was once considered hoaky. The SUL, New View, and FX Shock have not matched promised expectations for providing great protection. All three are designed by product engineers. One was actually an innovative idea (SUL). But the other two were real hoakey.

Take a look at the future mask {similar baseball mask already used in Japan}.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/itech-ho...ll-shield.html
Better pictures available through search engine.

The cantilever {upside down L} design alone offers more protection than a HSM. If the helmet is worn properly, it will absorb most of the blow and padding could still be inserted to protect the chin. All the advantages I mention above apply. Open face bars already exist. But wearing the helmet w/out the chin strap poses the same hazard we face today.

Last edited by SAump; Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 09:38pm.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

With all due respect, this helmet is now considered hoaky.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Mandatory Helmet Requirement

I regret my sarcasm about taking a hacksaw to a brand new product. I should have stated what any experienced official would have stated.

If you wear bifocals, the seperation between lenses is as wide as that bar. If the bar blocks your vision of the ball, then you are standing to close to the play. One has to understand the concept of angle versus distance to fully appreciate the fact. You are not looking into the helmet, your looking out of it. The converse is if the bar blocks you vision of the ball, pray for the bar to protect you and thank God it is still there.

The other hangup appears to be the chin strap. What other sport allows a participating member to remove a helmet during live action? Comments were made about the ability to take off the helmet in one motion. You need to remove a mask to run faster or see better. Those chinstraps promise additional safety and eliminate the need to carry the helmet around on the ballfield. Why would one need to remove an umpire helmet?

Any future improvement in safety will have to look hoakey. Check out the protection around the neck, forehead and facial cage. Compare it to forehead, face grill and throat guard on any HSM up to latest Shock FX designed for baseball. Make the call.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...8960367&sr=8-6

Last edited by SAump; Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 09:27pm.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

This is getting to the point where it's not even funny even if it's a joke.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Following advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
This is getting to the point where it's not even funny even if it's a joke.
Quote:
"Maybe you should check with the Pros who wear the "bucket". Most of them remove the "bucket" as often as we remove our masks."
I understand why we remove the mask. The question is why do you remove the bucket so often? Wait a minute, you remove your helmet because we removed our mask. I am looking for any other reason you remove the bucket. Plain English, ball hit to LF, why take your eyes off the ball?

Okay I'll bite first. I take off the mask because I am really quick. When I go out on a fly ball, I don't want my mask to fling off in front of me and take my attention away from the play. If falling off when I take off isn't a problem, then I worry that it will fall off when I stop. That is the exact moment when I need to make my call. I can't be fidgeting around trying to catch my mask at the same time. Now how or why would a HSM lose its perch?

Last edited by SAump; Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 09:29pm.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
I understand why we remove the mask. The question is why do you remove the bucket so often? Wait a minute, you remove your helmet because we removed our mask. I am looking for any other reason you remove the bucket.
Well, do you need the protection of a mask or helmet after the ball has been put into play? If God thought we'd have better vision with bars in front of our face, he'd have built us that way.

Tim.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 02:11am

Quote:
I understand why we remove the mask. The question is why do you remove the bucket so often? Wait a minute, you remove your helmet because we removed our mask. I am looking for any other reason you remove the bucket. Plain English, ball hit to LF, why take your eyes off the ball?

Okay I'll bite first. I take off the mask because I am really quick. When I go out on a fly ball, I don't want my mask to fling off in front of me and take my attention away from the play. If falling off when I take off isn't a problem, then I worry that it will fall off when I stop. That is the exact moment when I need to make my call. I can't be fidgeting around trying to catch my mask at the same time. Now how or why would a HSM lose it perch?
You remove the helmet for the same reason you remove your mask, not because you removed your mask. Do you think helmet wearers want their helmets bobbing up and down when they run? Why of course not. But you already knew that, because, as you often do, you are just messing with everyone's head here!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Aside from the fact that those lacrosse helmets look incredibly stupid, I wouldn't trust one while taking a foul tip on the face.
I have never been hit by a foul tip. I have, however, been hit by a foul ball.

I can't believe no one else jumped on this.

On topic, I'll stick with my mask.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283
Aside from the fact that those lacrosse helmets look incredibly stupid, I wouldn't trust one while taking a foul tip on the face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
I have never been hit by a foul tip. I have, however, been hit by a foul ball.

I can't believe no one else jumped on this.

On topic, I'll stick with my mask.
We don't bother correcting umpires who emulate the stupidity of baseball announcers because they are proving that they are completely ignorant of the rules (as the statement from one zm1283 shows) and will never learn.

I await the onslaught of unintelligent announcer emulators

Last edited by ozzy6900; Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 08:09pm.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Dumb idea

The thought of a plate umpire wearing a lacrosse helmet is just plain dumb. But let's agree on one thing - protection is not the issue. Lacrosse helmets, like football helmets, are designed to protect the head from all angles. Umpire's masks and helmets are primarily designed for protection from only one direction, the front.

The suggestion that a lacrosse helmet wouldn't provide adequate protection from a ball hitting you in the face is wrong. Lacrosse balls are hard and travel at high rates of speed - just like a baseball.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not very familiar with Lacrosse, so just out of curiosity what type of ball do they use? Is it even comparable to a baseball going 90+ MPH and hitting you in the head? If not, why would you even consider wearing such?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
I'm not very familiar with Lacrosse, so just out of curiosity what type of ball do they use? Is it even comparable to a baseball going 90+ MPH and hitting you in the head? If not, why would you even consider wearing such?
From WikiAnswers:

"A fast shot in lacrosse, usually a sidearm crank, can travel between 100 and 110mph. Average speeds are in the 80-100mph range."

Fast enough for you?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post

I await the onslaught of unintelligent announcer emulators
He gone..........