The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Batting Cage Swings before game at bat

At an NFHS (FED) playoff game last night the home team had the on-deck batter in the cage taking swings until it was his turn to come to the plate. The batting cage was just off the home dugout. The opposing coach complained but nothing was done. Another home field advantage? The game was not delayed in any way due to this. Could the umpires have done anything? Is this bush or good coaching? I have never seen this before.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Maybe not bush league but have to admit I've never seen that before.

Advantage? If the kid needs that much BP then he's probably a horrible hitter to start with.

Rules? NOthing saying it can't be done in FED rules as long as the player doesn't delay the game any etc.,

But if he was not ready to go as soon as it was hit turn to bat, then you could tell F1 to pitch and go from there.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

I think that I would talk to the both coaches together. I would tell them that there was nothing in the rules to prevent the home players from taking BP before an at-bat, but that it certainly appears to be unfair to the visitors. I would tell them that if the home players continued taking this advantage, I would report the situation to my assignor, who would likely take the question to the state association for a ruling. Then I'd say, let's play ball.

I think the visitors have a legitimate complaint here, and I'd want to find some way to tell the home coach that I think it's legitimate, but without making up rules to do so. I think this little speech might do the trick.

Since it's not violating any rule in the rule book or any state ruling that I'm aware of, I would do nothing else on the field. You might try to sell it as unsportsmanlike, but I wouldn't.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 08:41am
Stop staring at me swan.

The pros do this all the time. He's not delaying his at bat. Any coach who would choose to complain about tick-tack stuff such as that...well, we are talking about coaches here.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 09:12am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
The pros do this all the time. He's not delaying his at bat. Any coach who would choose to complain about tick-tack stuff such as that...well, we are talking about coaches here.
If the batting cage is in a favorable location to the home team, I think the complaint remains legitimate, if not punishable.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

FED rule 1-2-3:

The on-deck circle should be to the side and away from home plate, 37 feet if space allows. Neither team's players shall warm up in the other team's on-deck circle. The on-deck circle does not have to be occupied, but if a player wishes to warm up, he shall do so only in his team's on-deck circle, provided the on-deck circle is located safely away from home plate. (2-23-1)

The pros don't "do this all the time"- not if they are the next batter. While they might go take a few cuts in the cage before then, once they are the on-deck batter they must be in the on-deck circle
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

A FED interp several years ago said that using the batting cage could be done if it wasn't a distraction (hint, hint), and that the home team did not need to make the cage available to the visitors.

I agree with the comments that it can't be the on-deck batter.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
A FED interp several years ago said that using the batting cage could be done if it wasn't a distraction (hint, hint), and that the home team did not need to make the cage available to the visitors.

I agree with the comments that it can't be the on-deck batter.
For those who don't take Bob's hint, I believe he's saying something along these lines: if the home team isn't making it available to the visitors, then he's going to rule it a distraction and disallow it. Or maybe he'll just disallow it anyway, stating that it's a distraction. Either way, we've got a ruling to support disallowing it.

I've seen a couple fields with cages by the home dugout, but I've not seen them used during a game. Good to know how to handle that if I see it.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

In our area the batting cage cannot be used by anyone during a game for actual batting practice. There is nothing against using it for warm up swings if it were close enough (no delay of game) and it can be used as a bullpen to warm up pitchers etc.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

FED 2001 Interps, Play1, RULING: The umpire has no jurisdiction over the use of equipment or facilities outside the confines of the field. This is a matter that must be settled between the coaches or their league. However, if the batting practice is taken during the game and the sound of the metal bats becomes distracting, the umpire can prohibit future use of the batting cage (10-2-3; Approved Ruling 1990)
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Great ruling. Keep the umpires focused on what happens on the field, but distractions to the game from outside can be addressed. Thanks, Bob.