The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 10:43am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump View Post

Our association in their appearance guidelines does not allow any mesh caps and is speciffic to fitted wool navy caps.
Man, I wish our association would get rid of the mesh caps. I think they look awful! I have never seen the better umpires wear them. So, what does that tell you?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 10:49am
rei

For that matter, I wish out associations board of directors (hint hint Tim C) would nut up and require that we all get the same darn hat! Right now, we still have guys wearing these old caps that are a lighter blue than the newer hats. Then, we have a bunch of those cheap ATL's, and are still selling them to guys. At least last year it was decided to go with the Richardson's, which are SO MUCH BETTER than those cheap ATL's that fade quickly and don't hold shape very well.

Also, insignia's on shirts! They piss me off!!! I could care less if you buy Gerry Davis, Majesty, or Honigs. But you know what, I already PAID for that shirt, and I don't need to be reminded of what I bought! But gosh dangit, why does everybody have to have a stupid insignia to GIVE AWAY the fact that the umps are shopping at different places. While a small thing, it is just another hole in the armor known as "uniform".

Between fading plate pants to fade to pink of purple, shirts with different insignia's, differing hat colors and styles, belts, shoes, umpires are a mess to look at.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

You can cover some of the insignia's with a sewn on flag.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I'm loving this thread.

As a fairly new umpire (2 years experience and just getting ready for my first year of HS ball), I don't have much experience to back me up in situations. With that, I made sure I had two things working for me:

1. Knowledge of the rules, and
2. Appearance.

At least, I thought I did.

When I signed up for my first umpiring gig (a small city league that teams up with other cities), all I got uniform-wise was a velcro-backed hat and a red umpire shirt. When I asked about pants and shoes, I was told, "We prefer black pants, but wear whatever you want." I didn't know how true this statement would be.

That night, I asked my wife what color would look good as an undershirt. I was told black, so that's what I did. I had an older, but still good-looking, pair of black slacks, so I used those. I went out and bought what I'd worn for years on a ball field: cleats. I also poured over the league's rules, as well as OBR, since they used them when league rules didn't specifically rule it out.

When I arrived at the field the next afternoon (almost an hour early), I was fully dressed, minus the cleats. I walked into the field house, and only the UIC was there. About 15 minutes before the start of the games, MOST of the umpires were there. What surprised me was that the "whatever you want" statement was true. Some were wearing shorts, one was wearing tan pants, and others were wearing jeans. I was confused. Not only that, some didn't even have the shirt that was given; most were wearing a red t-shirt, but a couple weren't. It looked like the UIC had just walked down Main Street and randomly picked people to umpire.

Now, don't get me wrong -- I wasn't perfect. I wore my shin guards on the outside (I didn't know any better, and that's what everyone else did), and I still wear a hat backwards (I was never given one that would work forward, and I have yet to find one in a store that would work) and cleats (plate shoes weren't worth the expense for the league I was umpiring).

I have since learned my lesson, and will make sure I'm correctly clothed for next season. I don't do it for the coaches, the players, or the fans. I do it for me and my crew.

A wise man once said that you "only have one chance to make a first impression." I hold this very true and try my hardest to make sure I'm looking the best I can when I walk onto the field. I can only hope the rest of my crew feels the same.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
and I still wear a hat backwards (I was never given one that would work forward, and I have yet to find one in a store that would work)
I'm confused. How does a hat "not work" forward?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm confused. How does a hat "not work" forward?
It's probably a regular hat in which the brim is too big- so it would "not work" forward.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 12:13pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
It's probably a regular hat in which the brim is too big- so it would "not work" forward.
I have accidentally grabbed my base hat for doing the plate. while a bit "snug", I have had no problems with getting my mask on. When taking the mask off, I just have to pull a tad harder out to clear the bill. No big deal.

Wearing a hat backwards just looks silly!
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I use 8 stitch "normal" hats for all my umpiring. I just takes a bit of practice.

I don't do combos or beanies, per the request of Jimmy Dugan.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I wore 8-stitch hats for everything until I got the new titanium Wilson mask, which is lower profile. I broke down and bought some 4-stitch hats.

For most masks, an 8-stitch works just as easily as a 4-stitch if you remember the mask goes out, then up.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I typically wear a 6 stitch hat behind the plate, I really don't care for the 4 stitch ones. But like Kyle & Rich have said an 8 can be worn with out too much problem, depending on the mask. I have worn my 8 stitch twice with my dynalite mask and all works fine, but it takes some conscious effort to remove your mask swiftly.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Sure it would. I will occasionally work the plate with a regular (8-stitch) bill, sometimes a 6-stitch. Loosen the mask straps, remember to pull out first, etc., etc...
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

I wear my base hat (8 stitch) when instructing the younglings at the clinics. When we get the part of teaching how to properly remove the mask, I watch for the youngling having the most trouble, borrow his/her mask and show them that even with the "wrong" hat and a borrowed, unfitted mask, it is the mechanic that removes the mask and leaves the hat in place.

That stated, I use a combo hat at the plate when I work (6 stitch) because it is comfortable (fitted of course), looks good, and I don't have any doubt that it will remain on my head. Beside, I never had any of our customers come out and measure the brim of my hat. Hat - cap who cares what you call it!

Oh yes, and we have several of our members who have ordered new "bird's bill", Jimmy Dugan specials over the last couple of years. No one (except your's truly) dares to say anything to them about their hats!
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Well, this thread has (predictably) strayed away from the original question, and has become once again a fashion topic. Or the ever-popular "how long is your bill?"

My strongly held position, based on attending way too many baseball games in my role as a dad, is that the participants truly don't care how an umpire is dressed. At the D1 level, if a plate umpire were to show up in blue jeans, with the leg guards (necessarily) worn on the outside, it would be noticed because it would be completely outside the norm. But the participants wouldn't care or withhold respect. (Of course there are some participants who would be unhappy regardless.) Respect stems from competence, and competence or the lack of shows up quickly for a plate umpire.

In reality, except for new umpires, the participants already have formed their opinion based on previous games.

There's nothing wrong with dressing the part, and I suspect it helps some umpires be confident and competent. It almost certainly is an important aspect of moving up in the ranks. But the participants form their opinions based on primarily an umpires actions.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 09:02pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
Well, this thread has (predictably) strayed away from the original question, and has become once again a fashion topic. Or the ever-popular "how long is your bill?"

My strongly held position, based on attending way too many baseball games in my role as a dad, is that the participants truly don't care how an umpire is dressed. At the D1 level, if a plate umpire were to show up in blue jeans, with the leg guards (necessarily) worn on the outside, it would be noticed because it would be completely outside the norm. But the participants wouldn't care or withhold respect. (Of course there are some participants who would be unhappy regardless.) Respect stems from competence, and competence or the lack of shows up quickly for a plate umpire.

In reality, except for new umpires, the participants already have formed their opinion based on previous games.

There's nothing wrong with dressing the part, and I suspect it helps some umpires be confident and competent. It almost certainly is an important aspect of moving up in the ranks. But the participants form their opinions based on primarily an umpires actions.
You have (predictably) missed the point many were trying to make in this thread.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Hi all:

Nigel's recent thread and Rich Ives response prompted me for this thread.

Whenever the word "Smitty" comes up I believe the first comment on the list is the way the umpire was dressed and then all the "other stuff"

Other than our peers and association mandates regarding dress apparel ie; HS, College etc. the question?

Do people really care how we look out there.

Let's take Nigel's case. Perhaps at the beginning of the game the participants got a good laugh but as the game progressed as long as they saw Nigel Hustle and call a good game is what is most important.

We talk about the BU carrying a ball bag or the PU wearing shin guards on top of their jeans etc.

BUT if they call a good game isn't that what is most important?

Before, everyone "jumps on me" I am in no way advocating that the BU carry a ball bag on the bases or wear shin guards on the outside of jeans etc.

I am merely pointing out that as Rich Ives suggested the dress issue is more of a concern for Umpire vs. umpire or association protocol than the participants.

I am sure we all know some umpires who are dressed sharp have the latest and greatest apparel etc. but when they step on the field the coaches "cringe" and say to themselves "Not him again"

So let's take away umpire associations for a minute in which we are mandated to dress a certain way. Is apparel that important of an issue for the participants or is it more of an umpire vs. umpire issue

Hey guys/gals it's been slow or

Perhaps it's "Pete are you for real with this" but like I said it's been slow

Pete Booth
I guess I'll reply to the topic of "participants"...once the game is going for a couple of innings, and you show you have control with good zone, timing, and all the other tools....it just doesn't matter what you look like, but how you act and how your field presence shows you have been there with the polish of the above skills...It proved itself in my OP on "smitty"

Good fodder though Pete..we have people in our association who like being that "not him again" guy...I would like to be under the radar myself when it comes to that quote..

fwiw..l wear a 6 stitch on the plate and 8 on the bases...richardson is all we wear..