The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Equipment Care

I just found this website a few days ago and find it to be very helpful. Anyway, I just finished my first year of umpiring and am in the process of putting my gear away. Just wondering what you all do to clean it before putting it away for the winter.

Thanks in advance
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 04:20pm
Stop staring at me swan.

what website?
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm
I just found this website a few days ago and find it to be very helpful. Anyway, I just finished my first year of umpiring and am in the process of putting my gear away. Just wondering what you all do to clean it before putting it away for the winter.

Thanks in advance
Clean it, make note of what I need to buy for next season, put it where I can find it again.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 04:42pm

TIP:

After you wash your gear, make sure it is completely dry before storing it, or the metal parts will rust.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
what website?

Sorry, this forum we're currently posting on.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 05:06pm

Johnny was just being a smarty pants with ya. Welcome to the forum.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm

Thanks in advance
I used to put my gear away in the winter, but it was only a for a few months, November through January. Now it just rides around in the trunk of my car like it does the other 9 months of the year.

I clean my chest protector and shins by spraying with a water hose, then lay on the floor of the garage with a fan blowing on them to thoroughly dry them.

Between games I spray the sweaty side with Febreeze and wipe with a dry cloth.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2008, 07:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I use Lysol in my shoes and CP, wash all shirts, pants, etc...I agree w/ the other posters though...don't store your stuff until it is 100% dry...also, consider ordering what you need for the 09 season now...because the popular sizes of stuff is typically on back order in March.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Talking annual clean up and clean out..........

Yesterday was my annual clean up and clean out.......

I removed all my gear and uniforms from the car, removed my clothing rack from the back seat.....

I starting cleaning the Gear:

Chest Protectors.

I have the WV Plat and a Honigs K1. I first inspect all straps and connectors....then I make up a solution of warm water and Tide. I have a small sponge and brush and I brush the solution on. I do not soak the padding. I spray a antibacterial kitchen cleaning solution on the platic parts........wipe clean with a clean sponge, hang both on hangers to dry....

Shin Guards

Same process as CPs, noting if any straps need replaced.

Plate and Base shoes

I clean and polish as I go during the season, so all they needed was dust wiped off and put back into the shoe bags. I need a new pair of all black base shoes for NFHS next year (noted for replacement)

Masks

2 (+POS Black and Honigs Navy both single bar)...padding removed, wiped clean with antibacterial spray and the leather pads wiped with a leather treatment wipe. Frames washed with soapy water, dried reassembled and returned to mask bags.

Uniforms

I sent 4 pairs of pants to the dry cleaners. Periodic dry cleaning keeps them in top shape and they store perfectly on hangers and covered with plastic. With moving to the darker grey pants will need to purchase at least 4 pair.

I washed all 12 of my Shirts..........nothing fancy, cold wash hung on hangers to dry.........Noted 2 shirts that could be donated to the summer association ...not badly faded, but not top shape......

Socks........started the season with 8 pair.......ended with 3 and a half.....between my son stealing them for his baseball games and the dryer eating them, I will need to replace.........

Ball bags....Navy +POS are starting to age.......Black Diamond brand I bought this year are inferior ...I have hated them ever since I bought them.......noted all 4 for replacement and will donate the others to the summer association.

Jackets

HS jacket is too big ( lost significant weight since I purchased it) but have a good home for it (new HS umpire). Navy jackets with red and white trim and the light blue trim new last year. Black jackets new this year as well.

Bag

I have the old rolling WV bag. I cleaned it out with a vacuum and sprayed it with the hose and brush.......dried......sprayed with fabreeze.......looking to get a new bag this year.

I am expecting to do some fall ball this year, so I will keep the unis and gear handy. But need to do some upgrading in the off season.

Need to buy:

2 Navy shirts
4 Pairs of Pants (charcoal)
8 Pairs of socks
1 Pair of all black base shoes.
1 All Navy HS Jacket
1 New Umpire Bag (hint to wife for Christmas)

Need to donate :
2 shirts
2 Black ball bags
2 navy Ball bags
1 Navy HS jacket

I am all ready for the season to start.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 09:59pm
Stop staring at me swan.

What shoe laces are you guys getting to replace the stock NB ones for the plate shoes? I'd like to get a set, and a spare pair...so that never happens again. Worked the state tournament on Thursday night and "snap"...had to pull one out of my base shoes...
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

JohnnyG...I went to my local Red Wing shoe store and purchased a few pairs of their waxed boot cords the right length for the NB 450's. They lasted the remainder of the season and I like the way they snug up. They are far superior to the OEM laces that come in the 450's.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
The new pants

Can anybody tell me exactly the shade of gray we are suppose to be wearing starting next season?

Are the shade used in the NCAA and MLB levels?
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
Can anybody tell me exactly the shade of gray we are suppose to be wearing starting next season?

The new FED "allowed" color is the same as the NCAA "dark grey."

Whether that's what you are "supposed to be wearing" or not depends on your state / association.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin

I'd check with your local association. While they may be allowed under new fed rules your association may be slower to change.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Slacks

In Portland we have a mixture of umpires. Some work college and high school others just work high school.

The "college group" will not purchase the "heather greys" and the high school only guys will not purchase "dark grey" therefore we will always be destine to have some crews that will not match.

Even in this year's five state championship games we had three member crews that had different shades of slacks.

I am not sure this will ever change in all areas.

Regards,