View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Hi all:

Nigel's recent thread and Rich Ives response prompted me for this thread.

Whenever the word "Smitty" comes up I believe the first comment on the list is the way the umpire was dressed and then all the "other stuff"

Other than our peers and association mandates regarding dress apparel ie; HS, College etc. the question?

Do people really care how we look out there.

Let's take Nigel's case. Perhaps at the beginning of the game the participants got a good laugh but as the game progressed as long as they saw Nigel Hustle and call a good game is what is most important.

We talk about the BU carrying a ball bag or the PU wearing shin guards on top of their jeans etc.

BUT if they call a good game isn't that what is most important?

Before, everyone "jumps on me" I am in no way advocating that the BU carry a ball bag on the bases or wear shin guards on the outside of jeans etc.

I am merely pointing out that as Rich Ives suggested the dress issue is more of a concern for Umpire vs. umpire or association protocol than the participants.

I am sure we all know some umpires who are dressed sharp have the latest and greatest apparel etc. but when they step on the field the coaches "cringe" and say to themselves "Not him again"

So let's take away umpire associations for a minute in which we are mandated to dress a certain way. Is apparel that important of an issue for the participants or is it more of an umpire vs. umpire issue

Hey guys/gals it's been slow or

Perhaps it's "Pete are you for real with this" but like I said it's been slow

Pete Booth
I guess I'll reply to the topic of "participants"...once the game is going for a couple of innings, and you show you have control with good zone, timing, and all the other tools....it just doesn't matter what you look like, but how you act and how your field presence shows you have been there with the polish of the above skills...It proved itself in my OP on "smitty"

Good fodder though Pete..we have people in our association who like being that "not him again" guy...I would like to be under the radar myself when it comes to that quote..

fwiw..l wear a 6 stitch on the plate and 8 on the bases...richardson is all we wear..