The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Some offiicials will go to their games after dressing at home, work, or in the local telephone booth. Here in Montana, even though snow is usually plowed in around the telephone booths and offer a great deal of privacy, none of the local ones are heated.
I personally like to dress out at the gym. Polishing my shoes and going over a pregame with my partner seem to be a great use of time.
If your a basketball junkie like myself, attend as many local games as possible, and don't already do so, you might want to consider the following tip..
During basketball season, keep a spare set of your uniform (everything that you would need to call a game) in your vehicle.
While it has not happened often in my career, this past week reminded me of why I do it.. Two officials, calling different contests went down for the count. One with a blown out knee and the other after losing color perception and experiencing dizziness with a heart rate at more than twice the normal frequency and half the normal amplitude (even after two hours in the emergency room at the local hospital) until some good drugs were shot into his IV.
It could allow you to earn a few extra $$bucks$$ or spare a fellow official running free-throw line extended to free-throw line extend by himself.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

cell phones have pretty much eliminated all the phone booths around here.

a buddy was just telling me that because he had his gear with him, he picked up a game when 1 ref no-showed.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
cell phones have pretty much eliminated all the phone booths around here.
Hmmm, changing with nothing but a cell phone for cover must be an interesting challenge
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Teach a man to fish and you'll be rid of him every weekend.
Build a man a fire and you warm him for an evening.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Teach a man to fish and you'll be rid of him every weekend.
Build a man a fire and you warm him for an evening.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
OOooooohhhhh Juulie..
You're such a romantic!

Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Most officials that I work with come and dress at the game site. When I first started I use to dress before going to a game site, but a quickly got out of that habit real quick because of not wanting to ride in my uniform.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 02:39pm
M.A.S.H.

I dress at the game site. I just like it better for some reason. Plus, while we are getting dressed, we go over our pre-game. Also, I have something to change back into after I get out of the shower.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

i dress at the game site, i usally stay to watch the other games and i dont want to stick out in the crowd.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 04:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Coming to games is very unprofessional. It sends the wrong message to the players, coaches and fans. It looks like you just came from another game or you have to go to another game when you leave. Also what happens if your get your uniform dirty before you get to the game (winter and raining weather for example)? Now your uniform is soiled and you have not even tossed the ball up yet. Great impression to leave everyone.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Coming to games is very unprofessional. It sends the wrong message to the players, coaches and fans. It looks like you just came from another game or you have to go to another game when you leave. Also what happens if your get your uniform dirty before you get to the game (winter and raining weather for example)? Now your uniform is soiled and you have not even tossed the ball up yet. Great impression to leave everyone.

Peace
I think it all depends on what level of ball I'm doing. If I'm working a middle school game, or at a site where i know a dressing room isn't available, I'll go dressed since I hate dressing in a public restroom. I think that looks even less professional than coming dressed.

This is one of those things that's going to vary by region, IMO. Let's not have such blanket assessments.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

Peace
I think it all depends on what level of ball I'm doing. If I'm working a middle school game, or at a site where i know a dressing room isn't available, I'll go dressed since I hate dressing in a public restroom. I think that looks even less professional than coming dressed.

This is one of those things that's going to vary by region, IMO. Let's not have such blanket assessments.
I couldn't agree more. If there's a question of getting my clothes soiled because I dressed at work and drove to the site as opposed to having to change in a school restroom, I'll change at work every time. I hate changing in a restroom. And then as I'm changing back into my street clothes after the game to watch the next game, that's usually when that loudmouth parent, Joe A$$hole, walks into the rest room. No thank you.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I personally like to dress out at the gym.
I prefer a more private place than the gym, like a coaches' office or locker room.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coming to games is very unprofessional.
Really? Do you email your calls into your partner and let him make the calls?

I must be butter, 'cause I'm on a roll!
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

unprofessional

Why is going to games unprofessional. I am not sure of the area that you all call in, but where I call we are lucky to even get an ofice to talk more less a place to shower after the game. With my work schedule and traffic in my area I am usually hustling to get to the site and always want to be ready to get on the court when I get there.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coming to games is very unprofessional. It sends the wrong message to the players, coaches and fans. It looks like you just came from another game or you have to go to another game when you leave.
What if I did just come from another game or I do have to go to another game when I leave?

I always try to show up and change at the gym, but it's not possible 100% of the time. I see lots of guys at lower levels show up dressed already.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.