The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

LLWS Regional Botched Appeal

Ok, it happened 3 hours ago, where are the details?
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 09:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

This was during the New England Regional between CT and NH. The CT batter hit a two run homerun in the top of the 7th. The NH coach came out, spoke with his pitcher and told him to appeal that the batter missed first. The pitcher kept asking for time after stepping off the rubber. The U1 wasn't allowing the appeal and the NH manager finally told the pitcher to just pitch.

The annoucers said that "The pitcher must step on the rubber, have time put in, step off, ask for time and then make the appeal." They were just as confused as the players it seems.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

The clueless manager kept telling his pitcher to call time.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Ohio and Indiana was the game this happened in. I believe in the 3rd or 4th inning.

Ohio batter hit the homerun and the rest of the story is correct.

I was getting angry at the TV when Kyle Peterson was talking about putting the ball in play, stepping off the rubber and calling time.....loooooooool
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
There was such an appeal during CT-NH game (which went six innings), but umps allowed it and called BR "safe" at 2B (solo Hr, BTW).

Ace
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 10:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
Ohio and Indiana was the game this happened in. I believe in the 3rd or 4th inning.

Ohio batter hit the homerun and the rest of the story is correct.

I was getting angry at the TV when Kyle Peterson was talking about putting the ball in play, stepping off the rubber and calling time.....loooooooool
Different play. This was just a basic appeal of 2nd base, which was not upheld. The replay showed the umpire looking right at the base as the runner stepped on it.

The one in the CT/NH game was the one that got all screwed up.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 11:21am
Veteran College Umpire

So the question is, even if the team couldn't execute the appeal correctly, did the runner miss the base?

JJ
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
So the question is, even if the team couldn't execute the appeal correctly, did the runner miss the base?

JJ
I don't think they ever showed a replay of it.

Now, the real question:

If F1 steps off improperly, say forward, is that an illegal pitch under LL rules, or not? Remember, there' s no runners on.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Same LL subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
I don't think they ever showed a replay of it.

Now, the real question:

If F1 steps off improperly, say forward, is that an illegal pitch under LL rules, or not? Remember, there' s no runners on.
PU may have incorrectly ruled an illegal pitch.
A new batter wasn't set in the batter's box when the pitcher began his preliminary motion.
The batter quickly set up and the umpire umpire immediately placed the ball in play.
The pitcher, already in motion, stepped forward and did not complete his delivery.
The umpire ruled this as an illegal pitch and charged a ball to the count.
The umpire gave a confident explanation.
"You gotta wait until I place the ball in play."
Nothing was said by either manager.
Should the results of this action be classified as a no-pitch or an illegal pitch?

Last edited by SAump; Sun Aug 10, 2008 at 12:14pm.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

so in both of these games the commentators were telling the fans that they need to get on the rubber to put the ball back in play, step off of the rubber, call time and then throw over?

that's whacky and this exact thing happened in the OH-IN game at first base. Probably tried three times to do it properly before the coach yelled at the kid to just pitch the ball
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
PU may have incorrectly ruled an illegal pitch.
A new batter wasn't set in the batter's box when the pitcher began his preliminary motion.
The batter quickly set up and the umpire umpire immediately placed the ball in play.
The pitcher, already in motion, stepped forward and did not complete his delivery.
The umpire ruled this as an illegal pitch and charged a ball to the count.
The umpire gave a confident explanation.
"You gotta wait until I place the ball in play."
Nothing was said by either manager.
Should the results of this action be classified as a no-pitch or an illegal pitch?

Didn't see the play. But, when the pitcher stopped his motion (noting the batter wasn't ready) it could have been a do over.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Only if you judge that F1 was in violation of 8.05(g), because it certainly wouldn't fall under (e).........................

Tim.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 02:52pm
Stop staring at me swan.

The Yankees appealed 3B last night after a Mauer Sac Fly scored Span from third base and I'll bet it didn't even make the TV broadcast...all they did was throw the ball over to A-Rod, maybe Jeter...there was somewhat of a play at home...he appeals 3b and 3BU rules on the appeal...

This sitch is another great reason to not over "call time" a mistake that many young officials make. It's good game management IMO to keep the ball live as often as possible.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
The Yankees appealed 3B last night after a Mauer Sac Fly scored Span from third base and I'll bet it didn't even make the TV broadcast...all they did was throw the ball over to A-Rod, maybe Jeter...there was somewhat of a play at home...he appeals 3b and 3BU rules on the appeal...

This sitch is another great reason to not over "call time" a mistake that many young officials make. It's good game management IMO to keep the ball live as often as possible.
You are right on with this. Two years in a row I have had teams try to appeal--and one lose a chance at an out--because my BU called time for some reason I can't remember, probably to let the runner get up.

One team finally got the out. The other (11/12 yo) just pitched the ball after I tried to explain to F1 that he needed a live ball to appeal. Oh well....
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 07:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX
Two years in a row I have had teams try to appeal--and one lose a chance at an out--because my BU called time for some reason I can't remember, probably to let the runner get up.
The team didn't lose a chance at an out because of anything the BU did by calling time. They lost their chance at an out because they were ignorant of the rules and did not properly appeal. It's not either umpire's responsibility to hold a team's hand through the appeal process. The BU can call time whenever he feels it necessary, and this should not in any way negatively affect a proper appeal.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25