The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   LLWS Regional Botched Appeal (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/47068-llws-regional-botched-appeal.html)

SAump Sat Aug 09, 2008 08:59pm

LLWS Regional Botched Appeal

Ok, it happened 3 hours ago, where are the details?

Welpe Sat Aug 09, 2008 09:25pm

This was during the New England Regional between CT and NH. The CT batter hit a two run homerun in the top of the 7th. The NH coach came out, spoke with his pitcher and told him to appeal that the batter missed first. The pitcher kept asking for time after stepping off the rubber. The U1 wasn't allowing the appeal and the NH manager finally told the pitcher to just pitch.

The annoucers said that "The pitcher must step on the rubber, have time put in, step off, ask for time and then make the appeal." They were just as confused as the players it seems.

kylejt Sun Aug 10, 2008 01:54am

The clueless manager kept telling his pitcher to call time.

orangeump Sun Aug 10, 2008 04:09am

Ohio and Indiana was the game this happened in. I believe in the 3rd or 4th inning.

Ohio batter hit the homerun and the rest of the story is correct.

I was getting angry at the TV when Kyle Peterson was talking about putting the ball in play, stepping off the rubber and calling time.....loooooooool

aceholleran Sun Aug 10, 2008 08:17am

There was such an appeal during CT-NH game (which went six innings), but umps allowed it and called BR "safe" at 2B (solo Hr, BTW).

Ace

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeump
Ohio and Indiana was the game this happened in. I believe in the 3rd or 4th inning.

Ohio batter hit the homerun and the rest of the story is correct.

I was getting angry at the TV when Kyle Peterson was talking about putting the ball in play, stepping off the rubber and calling time.....loooooooool

Different play. This was just a basic appeal of 2nd base, which was not upheld. The replay showed the umpire looking right at the base as the runner stepped on it.

The one in the CT/NH game was the one that got all screwed up.

JJ Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:21am

So the question is, even if the team couldn't execute the appeal correctly, did the runner miss the base?

JJ

kylejt Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ
So the question is, even if the team couldn't execute the appeal correctly, did the runner miss the base?

JJ

I don't think they ever showed a replay of it.

Now, the real question:

If F1 steps off improperly, say forward, is that an illegal pitch under LL rules, or not? Remember, there' s no runners on.

SAump Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:10pm

Same LL subject

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt
I don't think they ever showed a replay of it.

Now, the real question:

If F1 steps off improperly, say forward, is that an illegal pitch under LL rules, or not? Remember, there' s no runners on.

PU may have incorrectly ruled an illegal pitch.
A new batter wasn't set in the batter's box when the pitcher began his preliminary motion.
The batter quickly set up and the umpire umpire immediately placed the ball in play.
The pitcher, already in motion, stepped forward and did not complete his delivery.
The umpire ruled this as an illegal pitch and charged a ball to the count.
The umpire gave a confident explanation.
"You gotta wait until I place the ball in play."
Nothing was said by either manager.
Should the results of this action be classified as a no-pitch or an illegal pitch?

orangeump Sun Aug 10, 2008 02:07pm

so in both of these games the commentators were telling the fans that they need to get on the rubber to put the ball back in play, step off of the rubber, call time and then throw over?

that's whacky and this exact thing happened in the OH-IN game at first base. Probably tried three times to do it properly before the coach yelled at the kid to just pitch the ball

mick Sun Aug 10, 2008 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump
PU may have incorrectly ruled an illegal pitch.
A new batter wasn't set in the batter's box when the pitcher began his preliminary motion.
The batter quickly set up and the umpire umpire immediately placed the ball in play.
The pitcher, already in motion, stepped forward and did not complete his delivery.
The umpire ruled this as an illegal pitch and charged a ball to the count.
The umpire gave a confident explanation.
"You gotta wait until I place the ball in play."
Nothing was said by either manager.
Should the results of this action be classified as a no-pitch or an illegal pitch?

Didn't see the play. But, when the pitcher stopped his motion (noting the batter wasn't ready) it could have been a do over.

BigUmp56 Sun Aug 10, 2008 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt

Only if you judge that F1 was in violation of 8.05(g), because it certainly wouldn't fall under (e).........................

Tim.

johnnyg08 Tue Aug 12, 2008 02:52pm

The Yankees appealed 3B last night after a Mauer Sac Fly scored Span from third base and I'll bet it didn't even make the TV broadcast...all they did was throw the ball over to A-Rod, maybe Jeter...there was somewhat of a play at home...he appeals 3b and 3BU rules on the appeal...

This sitch is another great reason to not over "call time" a mistake that many young officials make. It's good game management IMO to keep the ball live as often as possible.

SethPDX Tue Aug 12, 2008 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08
The Yankees appealed 3B last night after a Mauer Sac Fly scored Span from third base and I'll bet it didn't even make the TV broadcast...all they did was throw the ball over to A-Rod, maybe Jeter...there was somewhat of a play at home...he appeals 3b and 3BU rules on the appeal...

This sitch is another great reason to not over "call time" a mistake that many young officials make. It's good game management IMO to keep the ball live as often as possible.

You are right on with this. Two years in a row I have had teams try to appeal--and one lose a chance at an out--because my BU called time for some reason I can't remember, probably to let the runner get up.

One team finally got the out. The other (11/12 yo) just pitched the ball after I tried to explain to F1 that he needed a live ball to appeal. Oh well....

SanDiegoSteve Tue Aug 12, 2008 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX
Two years in a row I have had teams try to appeal--and one lose a chance at an out--because my BU called time for some reason I can't remember, probably to let the runner get up.

The team didn't lose a chance at an out because of anything the BU did by calling time. They lost their chance at an out because they were ignorant of the rules and did not properly appeal. It's not either umpire's responsibility to hold a team's hand through the appeal process. The BU can call time whenever he feels it necessary, and this should not in any way negatively affect a proper appeal.