The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

How bad was the PU in last night's CA vs FL game? Let me count the ways.

1. Where was this guys strike zone? Did he have a strike zone? I can't believe how much he was squeezing both pitchers. Especially Pimentel of CA.

2. Missed HR call aside. Why was he talking to the BU at 3rd about what he saw and not the FU in left who made the call? Why didn't he gather the entire crew together to find out exactly what each of them saw or didn't see?

3. When the CA coach called time and complained that Dante Bichette Sr. was "taunting" his 1B coach and his batter the PU did nothing. No informing Bichette about the CA complaint. No warning about taunting. Nothing.

4. In the 5th, after a FL batter struck out swinging the 3B coach for FL questioned the PU as to whether the pitch was fouled. The PU said that the pitch went off the C's glove and then off his protector (which was the correct call). But the coach then said something to him along the lines of "how could you be sure you got that one right, you didn't get the HR call right". A coach still complaining about a call that happened two innings earlier? The PU should have either run him right there or at least told him that if he said one more word about the HR call that his day would be over.

This PU took charge of nothing and let the FL coaches run all over him. Not a very good example of umpiring at this level. It gives all of us a bad name.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Tell me that I didn't hear him "No" to the batter, when he requested a "Time Out".

Is it really necessary to say "thats a strike" everytime the batter swung the bat. Ah Dah, No Sh$$.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by dtwsd

Not a very good example of umpiring at this level. It gives all of us a bad name.
I beg to differ on the first sentence. Perfect example of all the things bi**hed about the last week. I agree with the second sentence.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I really don't want to belabor the LL bashing that's been going on lately on this board, but I watched that game and the PU was driving me nuts.

His strike zone was inconsistent. He was definitely sqeezing Pimentel.

What the hell kind of plate stance was that anyway. He would squat down with his body straight up like he had a pole up his whazoo.

And he signaled strikes/outs like a freaking SOFTBALL UMPIRE!!!

And how could six umpires on a small diamond miss the fact that the ball hit about two feet up the screen on the foul pole. GEEZ!

And "that's a strike" is just unnecessary.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder about the different mechanics on strike calls...the PU would point for a called strike, but give the hammer for a swinging strike (while saying 'thats a strike!' *eyeroll*)

why do it differently? use one and stick to it!
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
What the hell kind of plate stance was that anyway. He would squat down with his body straight up like he had a pole up his whazoo.[/B]
I was watching a game the other night and noticed there was a pretty tall guy behind the plate. He was using a Gary Darling-type stance, only his body was angled towards first base all the time. It was weird to watch, and his strike call seemed like a softball call as well. The ASA World Series just ended....maybe some of these guys came straight from Portland.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Home Run Call?

I kept hearing about it but didnt see it. What exactly happened?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 03:48pm
In Memoriam

Re: Home Run Call?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
mrm21711,
The batted ball hit the left-side foul pole screen 18"-24" above the top of the padded wall [Made a *Thunk*!] then bounced down on the padded wall (back into the playing field) and rolled into foul territory.
Heck, it even sounded "Fair".
mick

Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool The Umps Blew it!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711

The LFU had his head up his @&& and missed an obvious HR.

He turned late to the ball and missed it hitting the webbing of the foul pole screen beyond the fence.
He was only 25' from the spot where the ball hit the webbing.

The ball bounced back into fair territory, and for some reason he signaled it was a GRD.

The PU, who had sucked all night, then went to the 3rd base ump to ask what he saw. He never called the crew together to discuss it.

The PU lost control of the game IMO, and was lucky he didn't have a mass ejection on his hands he sucked so bad!

The third base coach from Ca. went back to the box after asking the PU to stop the Fla. dugout from taunting his players and coaches, and he said while miked up,
" ****, even I can hear em'!" The 3rd base ump just stood there dumbfounded.

Tim.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Aug 25th, 2005 at 04:59 PM]
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
I wonder about the different mechanics on strike calls...the PU would point for a called strike, but give the hammer for a swinging strike (while saying 'thats a strike!' *eyeroll*)

gerry davis uses the hammer for a called strike and stands up and does the point for a swinging strike

(note: could have been someone other than GD, but whoever it was is using the GD stance)
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Originally posted by LMan

gerry davis uses the hammer for a called strike and stands up and does the point for a swinging strike

(note: could have been someone other than GD, but whoever it was is using the GD stance)
That was surely not the GD stance the guy was using. It was, ah, squat, slump, ah, I'm not sure what the hell he was doing. But he had the routine down.

Kind of like this, Squat, slump, announce "thats a strike", squat bring both arms up simultaneously, announce the count, sqat, slump, "that a stike". He had the routine down pretty dang good.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Not that it was a good routine, but he had it down well.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've got $1 that sez LL "rewards" the PU and the LFU with the finals...
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

He had a very consistent strike zone, anything thrown through a dixe cup sized hole, thigh high, across the middle, was a strike. Anything else was a ball.

The stance was a squat, with arms straight down by his side, hands in a fist, behind his legs. He looked very motionless on the pitch, but, the dixie cup zone was just too tight. Both pitchers were visibly frustrated, but to their credit kept their composure.

The LFU blew the HR call, and he was very close to the wall. You have to be when you are in a 6 man crew on a 200 foot field. The PU could have gotten the crew together and possibly got that one correct, although 3BU seemed to agree with LFU. HR miss call did not have much bearing on the game since it did not end with one team up by 1.

Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
The stance was a squat, with arms straight down by his side, hands in a fist, behind his legs. He looked very motionless on the pitch, but, the dixie cup zone was just too tight. Both pitchers were visibly frustrated, but to their credit kept their composure.
Similar to a Randy Marsh stance? I didn't see the game....