The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Tuss,

I can relate. Had a situation at CDP 2 years ago where I had just done 2nd base in a 4 man system and was excited about our scheduled rotation that would have me at 1st base for an important game.

Then along comes an older umpire, who hadn't done the previous game with us but jumps on our crew anyways and tells me "you're young- my knees are to sore to be the rabbit". So having had to put up with old guards all week, I gave in and did second base a second time. Boo.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I was wonderin' about acting more as an observer, than as a partner, with the newbees knowing that you're there, and being happy for the input.
Mick,

ONLY if assigned as an observer/evaluator. Otherwise if something bad catches your eye e-mail the assignor.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Heard a great one from a coach tonight. He complained to me that TWICE in a game last week PU called "foul" on a batted ball that hit third base.

PU's rationale: "It hit the foul side of the base." Priceless!

Oh, and one of his batters ended an inning tonight with a ball down the 3rd base line. As I walked up the line, I muttered, "looked like it was headed for the foul side of the base." He laughed.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 08:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Heard a great one from a coach tonight. He complained to me that TWICE in a game last week PU called "foul" on a batted ball that hit third base.

PU's rationale: "It hit the foul side of the base." Priceless!

Oh, and one of his batters ended an inning tonight with a ball down the 3rd base line. As I walked up the line, I muttered, "looked like it was headed for the foul side of the base." He laughed.
Ha!
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 09:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Tuss,

I can relate. Had a situation at CDP 2 years ago where I had just done 2nd base in a 4 man system and was excited about our scheduled rotation that would have me at 1st base for an important game.

Then along comes an older umpire, who hadn't done the previous game with us but jumps on our crew anyways and tells me "you're young- my knees are to sore to be the rabbit". So having had to put up with old guards all week, I gave in and did second base a second time. Boo.
First, how did this guy come up with "rabbit" for 2nd base umpire in a 4 man crew? All three base umpires have to do some running on every play just about.

Second, the guy was old, and had bad knees, but what about him makes him a "smitty?" Not the fact that he's old. Or has physical ailments. I know plenty o' fantastic umpires that are old guys. Neat as a pin, knowledgable of the rules, hustle, great judgment, etc. Just because he's old, or has a bad back, or bad knees doesn't make him a Smitty, which is what we're talking about here. Smitties come in all ages, shapes, sizes, genders and races.

Putting up with "old guards" sounds like ageism to me, which is not cool at all.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
First, how did this guy come up with "rabbit" for 2nd base umpire in a 4 man crew? All three base umpires have to do some running on every play just about.

Second, the guy was old, and had bad knees, but what about him makes him a "smitty?" Not the fact that he's old. Or has physical ailments. I know plenty o' fantastic umpires that are old guys. Neat as a pin, knowledgable of the rules, hustle, great judgment, etc. Just because he's old, or has a bad back, or bad knees doesn't make him a Smitty, which is what we're talking about here. Smitties come in all ages, shapes, sizes, genders and races.

Putting up with "old guards" sounds like ageism to me, which is not cool at all.
I wasn't calling this guy a smitty, but he proved himself to be an old guard by trying to throw his weight around.

The "rabbit" is the term I've always heard people use for 2nd base, while 3rd base is called the "rocking chair". But you're right, you have to do some running at every position, just more going in and out at 2nd base.

Last edited by canadaump6; Wed Jun 18, 2008 at 10:52pm.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Steve,

"Rabbit" is a long standing term for U2 in a 4 umpire crew as he goes out on far more plays than U1 & U3 combined.

IMO in regard to the OP - this umpire is being a Smittie by barging into the rotation and forcing someone to change for his convenience.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 04:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Steve,

"Rabbit" is a long standing term for U2 in a 4 umpire crew as he goes out on far more plays than U1 & U3 combined.
I am unfamiliar with the phrase. Learn something new every day.

Quote:

IMO in regard to the OP - this umpire is being a Smittie by barging into the rotation and forcing someone to change for his convenience.
You have a point there. That is kind of Smitty come to think of it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 06:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Steve,

What's a word for digging a trench in the dirt as you go from U3 to second base over and over and over and over again.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Groundhoggin'!!!!
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Tuss,

I agree with you that this guy overstepped in doing this. Would you have felt differently had he given you the courtesy of asking if it was alright with you to switch positions with him?

Tim.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I agree with you that this guy overstepped in doing this. Would you have felt differently had he given you the courtesy of asking if it was alright with you to switch positions with him?

Tim.
If he had asked whether I would be willing to take 2nd, I would have said that I'd really prefer to do first. I certainly would have felt differently. I am sure he would have been just fine doing 2nd base on Little League sized diamonds anyways.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
In my neck of the woods, we don't throw names like that around.

If anyone was a pantywaist, it was the veteran ref who couldn't own up to his own mistake, yet decided to subject his audience to a long diatribe, when he, in fact, was the erring ref. He deserved every bit of my treatment. That was the point of my post.

Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I was on his board. ...
I knew I was leaving the board soon, so I stood up and asked, "Hey Frank--who worked that game?" He sat down, speechless, and the room cracked up.
Sorry ACE
Based on your post it appeared to me that the only reason you stood up and embarrassed the man is because you were "leaving the board soon".
If he deserved every bit of your treatment I would think he deserved it whether or not you were leaving the board.

But you're probably right, I shouldn't be so cavalier about throwing out a word like coward.
There's probably better ones to describe officials that will publicly embarrass their fellow brothers and then not stick around to face them.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Umm, to be fair, I believe that this whole thread has bashed our "brother officials."

90% of officials talk about the other 10% (normally behind their backs). The other 10% don't talk to anyone, because they are smitties.

At least Ace did it to the guy's face, not because of a problem he had with him as an official, but as a person. Honestly, who stands in front of a room lecturing about how to do something without admitting they made the mistake too... maybe a politician. Sometimes you gotta do what's right... and expose people for who they really are, especially when their peers are eating every word of what they are saying...
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

10%? The percentage of smitties in my association is somewhat higher.