The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Guys/Gals, when you are watching a game do you take the time to walk up and critique the officials working the game? I don't. The point is, this guy had no business even approaching Ace and saying anything, except perhaps, "Hi, how you doing Ace?"
I don't think anyone would disagree with that (at least, I hope no one would).

The problem is in presenting extraneous information such as the watch issue, and then throwing a hissy fit when some people (correctly) call it. For shame!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur

The problem is in presenting extraneous information such as the watch issue, and then throwing a hissy fit when some people (correctly) call it. For shame!
I would. If I never wanted to work there again or if I was picking a fight.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Being from New Jersey, I can speak authoritatively regarding the pronunciation of youse (plural of you).

Unfortunately, the font that contains diacritical marks isn't available on this site, but it's yooz, if you imagine the o's connected like a pair of glasses and a "short vowel" sign above them. The "oo" is the sound of look or put.

An exception is that at the beginning of a clause, formal north Jersey pronunciation is identical to the English verb use, as in "Use are a buncha bums."

In both north and central Jersey, it's always the former (short vowel oo) pronunciation in the middle of a clause: "Me and him will stand youse all."

It's easy to tell when someone is affecting New Jersey speech when he uses youse in the singular. Just like y'all in the south, youse is never singular. Such a flub is sure to raise eyebrows in any bar in Hoboken.

Source: The Dictionary of New Jersey Speech and Diction, by Francis "Frankie the Pronunciator" Ferrara.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Is it possible the two "yoots"--

Two what? What was that word?

What word?

Two what?

What?

Did you say yoots?

Yeah, two yoots.

What is a yoot?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 01:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

"What are you a $%^@ing world traveler now?"

Love that movie.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

yoots?

youfs!
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 01:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
yoots?

youfs!
Not in My Cousin Vinny. It's yoots!

Fred Gwynne was hilarious in that movie. It was his final role.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Finally a little bit of back-up

Quote:
Guys/Gals, when you are watching a game do you take the time to walk up and critique the officials working the game? I don't. The point is, this guy had no business even approaching Ace and saying anything, except perhaps, "Hi, how you doing Ace?"
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I am sooooo sorry that I wore a watch during a game.

I am sorry I didn't put with the sh!t of someone coming to my game and making comments.

At least RPat got through to the gist of my post.

Ace
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Bullchips

Quote:

"correctly" my a$$.

I didn't throw a hissy fit, I just zinged him back. Privately.

This guy wasn't my pard or my boss. He has no place whatsoever to come up to me and initiate any conversation about my game. Period. So, when I come back at him, I am wrong?

I repeat: Bullchips.

BTW, I had seen this guy do plenty of games, and make more than a few egregious mistakes, and had never said a word to him about his work.

Once, when I was doing a JV hoops game, one of the varsity refs for the ensuing game came into our locker room at halftime and yelled at me for a double-dribble call he didn't like.

I kicked him out the room. And wasn't nearly as nice to him as I was to the watch guy. The varsity guy complained to the board about me. And the board backed me up.

Some of you may think that as long as a spectating official is "right," that you can jump into someone else's game.

I'll never do such a thing.

Ace
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Ace is 110% correct!! Not once have I ever approached an official during a game to make a unsolicited or uninvited comment or correct a mistake. It's not my place, nor is it my business to do so. I spent several years as the UIC of an umpires association and I only involved myself when something extremely serious or hazardous was occuring, and that was very RARE.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ace is 110% correct!! Not once have I ever approached an official during a game to make a unsolicited or uninvited comment or correct a mistake. It's not my place, nor is it my business to do so. I spent several years as the UIC of an umpires association and I only involved myself when something extremely serious or hazardous was occuring, and that was very RARE.
I am surprised !
With few exceptions on this forum, I envision many of our members on this forum evaluating, assisting, and advising younger/newer umpires during a game, just as if it were a quick and personal local clinic between 1/2-innings.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Of course, Mick, I have WORKED games with younger/newer umpires and have offered advice and encouragement between innings. The issue is would I do so from the 'other side of the fence', and that answer is NO. Course, you knew that ...

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 01:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Of course, Mick, I have WORKED games with younger/newer umpires and have offered advice and encouragement between innings. The issue is would I do so from the 'other side of the fence', and that answer is NO. Course, you knew that ...
I was wonderin' about acting more as an observer, than as a partner, with the newbees knowing that you're there, and being happy for the input.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
Quote:

"correctly" my a$$.

I didn't throw a hissy fit, I just zinged him back. Privately.

This guy wasn't my pard or my boss. He has no place whatsoever to come up to me and initiate any conversation about my game. Period. So, when I come back at him, I am wrong?
Ace, I think you're misunderstanding me.

Frankly, I thought your zinger to that particular umpire was witty, and though it wouldn't be my style, I am NOT criticizing it. I couldn't help but smirk when I read it.

What I was getting at was your huffy reply when others pointed out that Smitty was right about the watch. That certainly sounded like a hissy fit to me. You claimed to know that some would pick that nit, so why did you bother citing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I repeat: Bullchips.

BTW, I had seen this guy do plenty of games, and make more than a few egregious mistakes, and had never said a word to him about his work.

Once, when I was doing a JV hoops game, one of the varsity refs for the ensuing game came into our locker room at halftime and yelled at me for a double-dribble call he didn't like.

I kicked him out the room. And wasn't nearly as nice to him as I was to the watch guy. The varsity guy complained to the board about me. And the board backed me up.

Some of you may think that as long as a spectating official is "right," that you can jump into someone else's game.

I'll never do such a thing.

Ace
And I repeat that you're misreading my post.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Being a younger umpire, I can tell you how flustered I got 2 years ago when an older member of the association (who was there as a site director none the less) tried to talk to me from the backstop in between innings, about me letting the kid throw his 5 prepatory pitches/ one minute in between innings. He said I had to get the game moving.

If I was where I am today in the umpiring profession, I would have replied more wittingly, but I was actually so flustered that it put me on edge for the rest of the game with my game management and attitude.

If it was my partner, it would have been fine. But a site director? Who, being an umpire, should know better!