The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Talking Can a pitcher request the mound be raked, dirt added, or repaired during an inning?

All:

Had this come up in a little league playoff game (9 years old) last night and would appreciate any feedback I can get.

BACKGROUND
==============
The pitcher's mound was rock hard and steep (as was the rest of the field). As the game wore on, it became more and more slippery. There was a good size pit in a landing area which I would say was at best be an extended reach for your average 10 year old. The last couple of innings would up becoming a walk fest as pitchers couldn't gain any footing. At first I thought it was just kids who were not that proficient. Then I began to noticed a couple of the league's better pitchers stuggling their landing foot kept sliding down the hill and were unable to plant. It was unfortunate that this had to be during a playoff game with so much on the line. The pitcher who would up walking in some guys at the game's end left the field devastated and in tears.

THE QUESTIONS
============
In the 5th inning (or a scheduled 6 inning game), the umpire actually walked over to the pitcher and asked if possibly he'd like a water bottle's worth or water spread out over the landing area to reduce the sliding. It seemed like a good idea. The questions.......1> Is this or any other modification like raking the mound, adding dirt allowed during an inning either by request of the player and/or umpire? 2> Can the ump just make a ruling on this, both coaches need to agree or something else? Is there a rule? 3> Can the pitcher request to pitch from just in from of the rubber so he lands in the hole and doesn't slide down the hill?

Thanks so much.

EB Baseball Guy
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Sure. Umpires own the field - call out the ground crew (Dad's in the stands, whatever) to make the field safe and playable.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Agreed. I would probably wait till between innings, for a number of reasons.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

eb_baseballguy,

In terms of a rule, the following works for me:

Quote:
3.11 Between games of a doubleheader, or whenever a game is suspended because of the unfitness of the playing field, the umpire-in-chief shall have control of ground-keepers and assistants for the purpose of making the playing field fit for play.

PENALTY: For violation, the umpire-in-chief may forfeit the game to the visiting team.
JM
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Yes you can.

Did it this morning. Raining. Mound got sloppy. 14yo pitcher couldn't find the plate and blamed the mound. Called time. Had grounds crew guy come out and rake and put diamond dry on front slope of mound. Went back to calling strikes. Rain stopped. Game complete. No more whining. I would probably still be out there if I had not stopped and had them fix the mound. (grin)
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody can ask anything. Doesn't mean we agree.

However, in this case I have two concerns, pitcher injury, and strikes, in that order. If pitcher can't throw strikes because he thinks the mound needs work we stop the game and work on it. Even if he isn't complaining, if I think the mound may lead to injury we stop the game and work on the mound.