The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 11:58am
Veteran College Umpire

Obstruction question

FED. B1 hits a ground ball to short. Shortstop's throw is to the home plate side of first (bad throw). B1, seeing it's a bad throw and F3 is coming off the bag toward him, veers around F3 who ever touches the bad throw. The umpire calls "That's obstruction". The throw goes to the fence, and B1 goes safely into second base. The defense then appeals B1 missed first base, which in fact he did. The offensive coach says he missed it because of being obstructed by F3.

What's the call?

JJ
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 12:27pm
M.A.S.H.

I believe you've still got to touch first. Since there's a deadball, the runner can't go back and touch. Therefore, he is out on appeal.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with tjones1, the BR is out on appeal. Even though the BR was awarded 2nd base, it is the BR's responsibility to legally gain the awarded bases. BR is out on proper appeal. BR has the opportunity, once the ball is declared dead to touch 1b then proceed to the awarded second base.

To put another perspective on it, if BR hits a home run (s)he is awarded four bases, by rule. If (s)he misses 1b on his/her way around, (s)he can be called out on proper appeal. Same concept as what you are asking.

-Josh
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 12:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The pro interpretation has been (someone will post a reference) that if the obstruction clearly caused the missed base, the appeal will be denied.

It's my rule of thumb and how I would rule in a FED game, too.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
The pro interpretation has been (someone will post a reference) that if the obstruction clearly caused the missed base, the appeal will be denied.

I think it's if the obstruction PREVENTED a touch of a base the appeal will be denied.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I believe you've still got to touch first. Since there's a deadball, the runner can't go back and touch. Therefore, he is out on appeal.
What deadball? The OP doesnt say that...
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agreed.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
I think it's if the obstruction PREVENTED a touch of a base the appeal will be denied.
Maybe I'm off my rocker here but doesn't the runner have the responsibility to legally touch each base? If I were the runner I would have touched 1B then put the pressure on the umpire to award me second because of the obstruction. I understand that I might be pushed 5 feet out of the baseline to avoid contact at 1B but the umpire has already acknowledged there is obstruction (according to the post). I could easily make a case that I would have legally gained 2B if I was not obstructed.

I could very well be wrong, though, but I firmly believe the BR must touch 1B or possibly be called out on proper appeal.

-Josh
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 02:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
What deadball? The OP doesnt say that...
You're right. I misread it.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 03:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
...but I firmly believe the BR must touch 1B or possibly be called out on proper appeal.

-Josh
This reminds me of "I strenusouly object" from A Few Good Men. In other words.......so?

But you got me to dig out my BRD.

NCAA: If in the umpire's judgment, obstruction occurred near enough to a base so that it prevented the runner from conveniently touching the bag, a subsequent appeal at the base would be denied. [Fetchiet, 4/20/2001]

OBR: Fitzpatrick agreed with Fetchiet (12/26/01) but added the umpire must be absolutely certain the obstruction kept the runner from the base.

FED: Silent. Carl recommends you treat the same as NCAA, and I agree.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 03:08pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
FED: Silent. Carl recommends you treat the same as NCAA, and I agree.
Good enough for me. I retract what I believed and will go with this.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

In the play the denfense waited til the batter/runner was standing on second base then the coach called time and appealed the runner missing first base.

some of the talk on this play dealt with 8-2-5 NFHS

that says:
If the ball becomes dead and the runner is on or beyond a succeeding base, he cannot return to the missed base and, therefore, is subject to being declared out upon proper and successful appeal

some think this will cause the batter/runner to be called out

In reading rule 5 :

5-2-2 when the ball becomes dead:

b. a runner may return to a base he left to soon on a caught fly ball or that was not touched during a live ball;
1. A runner who is on or beyond a succeeding base when the ball became dead,or advances and touches a succeeding after the ball became dead,may not return and shall be called out upon proper and successful appeal (8-4-2a)

c. any runner may advance when awarded a base(s) for an act which occurred before the ball became dead provided any base in (b) above is retouched and all bases are touched in their proper order(8-1-2,8-2-1,8-3,8-3-3d, note)

My question is, will (c) not allow the runner to return and touch base since with the Obstruction call you are going to award one base, I feel that the umpire should after playing action is called inform the runner and coaches we had Obs at first base and I am awarding the runner second base, It will then be up to the player to go retouch 1st base nad then go to second, If he chooses to just remain at second not thinking he missed the bag at first nor the coach see it, Then allow the defense appeal and call the runner out.

All runners are required to touch all base(s) in proper order or they may be callled out on appeal.

Thoughts?
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This reminds me of "I strenusouly object" from A Few Good Men. In other words.......so?
It's the legal mindset I have. I am going to blame this one on my education. I know, I'm a drone that can't think for myself. I use stupid phrases like that all the time. You're not the first person to point it out When I'm in a "drinking establishment" people like to point out my commonly used legal phrases.

BTW, "you can't handle the truth!" Never used it, but someday I will.

-Josh
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoore
In reading rule 5 :

5-2-2 when the ball becomes dead:

b. a runner may return to a base he left to soon on a caught fly ball or that was not touched during a live ball;
1. A runner who is on or beyond a succeeding base when the ball became dead,or advances and touches a succeeding after the ball became dead,may not return and shall be called out upon proper and successful appeal (8-4-2a)

c. any runner may advance when awarded a base(s) for an act which occurred before the ball became dead provided any base in (b) above is retouched and all bases are touched in their proper order(8-1-2,8-2-1,8-3,8-3-3d, note)

My question is, will (c) not allow the runner to return and touch base since with the Obstruction call you are going to award one base, I feel that the umpire should after playing action is called inform the runner and coaches we had Obs at first base and I am awarding the runner second base, It will then be up to the player to go retouch 1st base nad then go to second, If he chooses to just remain at second not thinking he missed the bag at first nor the coach see it, Then allow the defense appeal and call the runner out.

All runners are required to touch all base(s) in proper order or they may be callled out on appeal.

Thoughts?
Once the runner achieves the base he was entitled to with the obstruction, isn't the obstruction then simply ignored? He then advances at his own risk, correct? So, I don't believe I would call anything (dealing with the obstruction) because, during the delay-dead ball situation, the runner to advanced safely to the base I would have awarded. I would then rule on the proper appeal for missing first base.

-Josh

Last edited by jdmara; Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:53pm.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

So you will just honor the missed base appeal and call him out? the coach is going to say that the OBS caused him to miss the base