The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

I've been umpiring baseball for several years -- mostly summer youth leagues and high school ball. In probably 7-8 years and hundreds of ball games, I've had maybe 1-2 obstruction calls, ever.

I signed up through our state high school association to umpire softball for the first time this year. And, for whatever reason, every softball game I have been assigned so far has been canceled (rain, etc). So I'm still not quite sure about much in the way of high school softball, even though I did go to our clinic and worked a couple innings of a scrimmage at that.

My question is this: Is obstruction that much more of a problem in softball than it is in baseball? Is it likely that I'm going to have an OBS call every game or two in softball? It sure seems that way, with the questions I've read on this board.

(For the record, I have 3 softball games scheduled for next week, I guess I will find out soon enough....although one of the teams I have for 2 of those 3 games is far and away the worst in the area, so I might not learn a whole lot there.)
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

more than likely..in one of those 3 games..you will have an obstruction call
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

In the first week of 14U and 12U, I had at least one OBS in every game. Mostly of the F3 standing directly on first base on a extra-base hit variety, but some of the WP/PB, pitcher between 3rd base and the plate waiting to receive the throw variety.

Now, week 3, it's down to maybe 1 out of every 3-4 games.

And 90% of the OBS's I've had resulted in no action required - the runner got to the base I'd protected her to.

I think I've had 3 runners awarded a base she didn't attain on her own all year (30-someodd games).
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Yes you will. In Ohio, the change has to do with the ball in possession of the defense rather than in the process of being caught. THe new rule states that the defensive player must have the ball in her possesion before she can block the plate. Lots of girls and coaches haven't caught on, and it has created a lot of situations.
Good luck and make that call.