The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Another Obstruction question.

again, Adult Male, Slow Pitch.

I was observing a very neat game where a group of season veterans (Dads) were playing a group of fairly new players (Sons). They just happened to meet in the same tournament.

Runners on 2b and 3b. Fly ball to CF. about 5 seconds before the ball is caught the pitcher yells "GO" to the poor kid on 2b who takes off before the ball is caught. What is the ruling on this?

(I was beginning to feel sorry for this kid as during the previous 1/2 inning he was coaching 3b and all but tackled his runner causing the 3rd out of the inning.)
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc25
again, Adult Male, Slow Pitch.

I was observing a very neat game where a group of season veterans (Dads) were playing a group of fairly new players (Sons). They just happened to meet in the same tournament.

Runners on 2b and 3b. Fly ball to CF. about 5 seconds before the ball is caught the pitcher yells "GO" to the poor kid on 2b who takes off before the ball is caught. What is the ruling on this?

(I was beginning to feel sorry for this kid as during the previous 1/2 inning he was coaching 3b and all but tackled his runner causing the 3rd out of the inning.)
Assuming a proper appeal, out. That runner has two coaches. That means he had the benefit of 6 eyes watching for that catch. If he took off on a verbal that contradicted what should have been seen, shame on him.

DMR
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know, Mike. Wouldn't you consider this along the same lines as many other verbal misleading statements made to confuse the opponent, and consider verbal obstruction? If the kid was relying on his coach's verbal call, and heard this, it definitely fits within the rule of obstruction. Sort of along the lines of the defense yelling FOUL, or OUT, or GET BACK!
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

see, there's the rub.

The defensive team did make an appeal and the out call was made. Nothing was said about the offensive player "helping" the poor kid. Maybe because they didn't know better.

However, one entertained spectator (me) thought on it for a while and the more I thought about it the more I thought the offensive team may have had an argument.

Along the same lines, is it illegal for an offensive player to yell "Fence" on a foul fly ball, close to the fence?
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I don't know, Mike. Wouldn't you consider this along the same lines as many other verbal misleading statements made to confuse the opponent, and consider verbal obstruction? If the kid was relying on his coach's verbal call, and heard this, it definitely fits within the rule of obstruction. Sort of along the lines of the defense yelling FOUL, or OUT, or GET BACK!
No, "foul" & "out" are calls to be made only by the umpire.

Next thing, someone is going to tell me that a defender merely slapping his/her glove should be called obstruction. EVERYTHING cannot be against the rules. There must be some responsibility taken by both sides. As noted, this "poor" kid (adult, I assume) had two coaches and his own eyes available to determine when to leave the base.

And, BTW, how are you going to prove the comment was directed at the runner? For as much as you know, the pitcher could be directing an infielder to go out for the cut.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
EVERYTHING cannot be against the rules.
Except in MN - the state where absolutely nothing is allowed!
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Except in MN - the state where absolutely nothing is allowed!
I forgot about MN. The only state where the police have a standing order to seek out professional athletes.