View Single Post
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoore
In reading rule 5 :

5-2-2 when the ball becomes dead:

b. a runner may return to a base he left to soon on a caught fly ball or that was not touched during a live ball;
1. A runner who is on or beyond a succeeding base when the ball became dead,or advances and touches a succeeding after the ball became dead,may not return and shall be called out upon proper and successful appeal (8-4-2a)

c. any runner may advance when awarded a base(s) for an act which occurred before the ball became dead provided any base in (b) above is retouched and all bases are touched in their proper order(8-1-2,8-2-1,8-3,8-3-3d, note)

My question is, will (c) not allow the runner to return and touch base since with the Obstruction call you are going to award one base, I feel that the umpire should after playing action is called inform the runner and coaches we had Obs at first base and I am awarding the runner second base, It will then be up to the player to go retouch 1st base nad then go to second, If he chooses to just remain at second not thinking he missed the bag at first nor the coach see it, Then allow the defense appeal and call the runner out.

All runners are required to touch all base(s) in proper order or they may be callled out on appeal.

Thoughts?
Once the runner achieves the base he was entitled to with the obstruction, isn't the obstruction then simply ignored? He then advances at his own risk, correct? So, I don't believe I would call anything (dealing with the obstruction) because, during the delay-dead ball situation, the runner to advanced safely to the base I would have awarded. I would then rule on the proper appeal for missing first base.

-Josh

Last edited by jdmara; Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:53pm.