Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 19, 2008, 11:53am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
(Gasp!!)

New to the game?

Or just assuming that everytime a runner doesn't slide he interferes?

What if the fielder doesn't attempt the play to first?

What if there is no contact and no alteration of the play?

A runner never "must slide" to avoid an interference call in HS ball. There are always options.
Well, seeing how you have called out about every "myth" to this rule that I could ever think of, I should be asking if possibly YOU are "new to the game".

Read my above post carefully.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Well, seeing how you have called out about every "myth" to this rule that I could ever think of, I should be asking if possibly YOU are "new to the game".

Read my above post carefully.
Debate by diverson. Nice technique.

So, following your new direction, the fielder not attempting a play is a myth? The runner not sliding and not interfering or altering the play is a myth?

You may be rei, but you're no rules Rei
Old Sat Apr 19, 2008, 12:17pm
rei

Quote:
Debate by diverson. Nice technique.

So, following your new direction, the fielder not attempting a play is a myth? The runner not sliding and not interfering or altering the play is a myth?

You may be rei, but you're no rules Rei
No, he does not need to attempt a play.

Yes, not sliding OR avoiding the fielder is interference. Altering the play has nothing to do with the FED Force Play Slide Rule.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
No, he does not need to attempt a play.

Yes, not sliding OR avoiding the fielder is interference. Altering the play has nothing to do with the FED Force Play Slide Rule.

Read the rule again. Then compare it to your statement that if the runner doesn't veer he MUST slide.

FED 8-4-2 Any runner is out when he:

(b) does not legally slide and causes ilegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of of making a play....

2. Runners are never required to slide.....

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sat Apr 19, 2008 at 09:47pm.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2008, 11:39pm
rei

Quote:
Read the rule again. Then compare it to your statement that if the runner doesn't veer he MUST slide.

FED 8-4-2 Any runner is out when he:

(b) does not legally slide and causes ilegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of of making a play....

2. Runners are never required to slide.....
Nice. Now, look up Force Play Slide Rule.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Nice. Now, look up Force Play Slide Rule.
Oh, lord.

8-4-2 (b) includes the FPSR

What part of Runners are never required to slide..... don't you understand?

They may encourage making up rules wherever you are, but it is highly discouraged in the northeast.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I rest my case from my last post.

And I think you are possibly missing the point of the rule. If he doesn't veer away from the fielder, than he MUST slide to not be called for interference. His "intent" has NOTHING to do with anything. I am no mind reader, and don't think I will ever gain that skill. FED and NCAA doesn't require me to read minds and figure "intent" with this rule. Avoid, slide, or get nailed for interference. It is really as simple as that.
Not even close. I don't have time today, but will look up in my archives and find you the exact FED ruling/interpretation.

I've just read your other posts, and obviously you don't know what you are talking/writing about as far as this rule.

Intent has everything to do with this rule on this type of play. Others have tried to tell you also, you can never make a call simply because the "runner must slide" as the rules simply tell you this is never required.

The other side of this rule is that simply because you "do" slide, that does not protect you totally. It must be legal, etc.,

And yes FED rules and NCAA both require you to read intent on a variety of calls - FPSR, and also others such as Interference and of course Obstruction.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 09:28pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Not even close. I don't have time today, but will look up in my archives and find you the exact FED ruling/interpretation.

I've just read your other posts, and obviously you don't know what you are talking/writing about as far as this rule.

Intent has everything to do with this rule on this type of play. Others have tried to tell you also, you can never make a call simply because the "runner must slide" as the rules simply tell you this is never required.

The other side of this rule is that simply because you "do" slide, that does not protect you totally. It must be legal, etc.,

And yes FED rules and NCAA both require you to read intent on a variety of calls - FPSR, and also others such as Interference and of course Obstruction.

Thanks
David
I think you better re-read what I have posted VERY carefully.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I think you better re-read what I have posted VERY carefully.
I don't have time to play this game about rules. I've found a link to a great thread that explains all of this in detail and it also has the link that I talked about that covers every different type of play at second and what is considered a violation and not

Contact on a Force Play - FED

Thanks
David
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

We are not required to rule on intent, only did the runner interfere or not. If I could read minds consistently I would play poker for a living and as my hobby.

If, as the original post indicates, "F4 had to step toward third to throw to first. In my judgement, this altered the play to first" then it is FPSR if runner came in standing up, since he did not veer or slide, but instead interfered by coming in standing up and by so doing altered play. If, in some other case, he came in standing up but did not alter play, then no FPSR. Example, F4 is in a stretch on SS side of 2B to get a throw from F5 and runner comes in standing up.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
We are not required to rule on intent, only did the runner interfere or not. If I could read minds consistently I would play poker for a living and as my hobby.

If, as the original post indicates, "F4 had to step toward third to throw to first. In my judgement, this altered the play to first" then it is FPSR if runner came in standing up, since he did not veer or slide, but instead interfered by coming in standing up and by so doing altered play. If, in some other case, he came in standing up but did not alter play, then no FPSR. Example, F4 is in a stretch on SS side of 2B to get a throw from F5 and runner comes in standing up.

Good post, instead of saying intent, I should have stuck to the actual ruling which talks about "alteration of play". That's the better explaination for the FPSR.

Thanks
David