The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

This was posted on another site but did not get a conclusive result. Do we want to take a stab at it here?

Situation: NCAA rules

R1, 2 outs,

Runner is going and a balk is called. Pitch is delivered. Sharp grounder to short who flips to second and the runner is called safe but he completely and illegally takes out the second baseman. It was a gross violation of the force play slide rule and the umpires correctly called it.

20 minutes later after the ambulance carted the second baseman off of the field, what should the umpires do besides ejecting R1 which they did?
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle
This was posted on another site but did not get a conclusive result. Do we want to take a stab at it here?

R1, 2 outs,

Runner is going and a balk is called. Pitch is delivered. Sharp grounder to short who flips to second and the runner is called safe but he completely and illegally takes out the second baseman. It was a gross violation of the force play slide rule and the umpires correctly called it.

20 minutes later after the ambulance carted the second baseman off of the field, what should the umpires do besides ejecting R1 which they did?
In a FPSR violation, both R1 and BR are out. Since the conditions aren't met to ignore the balk, enforce it. Put R1's replacement on second and send the batter back to the plate.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Bang!

Jenkins nailed it.

BP

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

In a FPSR violation, both R1 and BR are out. Since the conditions aren't met to ignore the balk, enforce it. Put R1's replacement on second and send the batter back to the plate.
That's what the umpires ruled but the game was protested and the protest committee overruled the umpires. It was also submitted to the NCAA but I don't know what their ruling was.

I don't know the protest committees thought process either. I think that part of it had to do with the fact that R1 had been called safe at second. The violation was considered along the same lines as an overslide; in other words, R1 achieved second safely and then was called out on the FSPR. I don't know how they finessed the BR at first. Perhaps since there were already two outs, they ignored the BR. More likely, the brutality of the hit (R1 knocked out the second basemant with a helmet to the head), clouded the protest committee's judgment.

[Edited by Bob Lyle on Oct 18th, 2005 at 01:48 PM]
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:59pm
Veteran College Umpire

I agree with Bob Jenkins. I also have a question - where did this occur (what teams were playing?) and who comprised the protest committee?

JJ
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

This was a summer wood bat league. I have no idea who the members of the protest committee were, probably league officers.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle

R1, 2 outs,

I'm curious. I assume by "gross violation" he meant "maliciouis contact" although he did not say so. Otherwise, why eject him?