The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Assume that we have R1 on first base and he: 1) Interferes with F4 who is trying to field either a grounder or fly ball one foot from the second base bag; 2) Runs into F6 at second base as F6 attempts to field a throw from F4 who has just picked up a grounder off the hit by B1.

A) Does situation 1 fall under the force-slide rule or just normal interference?

B) Does situation 2 fall under the force-slide rule or just normal interference?

C) What is the exact definition of a force-slide play?

D) How is a force-slide play different from normal interference?

Thanks. FED interpretation only please.

Greg

[Edited by Gre144 on Mar 27th, 2001 at 10:43 PM]
Old Thu Mar 29, 2001, 12:31am
Michael Taylor

I would say situation 1 is normal interference but would probably wind-up being a double play inforcement.

Situation 2 is force-slide play interference and would be an atoumatic double play.

The force-slide play is badly named because there is no mandatory slide rule. What the rule basicly says is on a force play you must slide directly at the base or away from the fielder. The other choice is pull up or vere off out of the play to avoid getting in the way of the throw.

The difference between the two is simply normal interference covers things like getting hit with a batted ball, or colliding with a fielder making a play. That's an over simplification but fairly accurate.

I don't have my FED book with me so I can't give you quotes and this from my memory. Hopefully some one can better clarify the differences.