The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Interference / Force Play Slide (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/43536-interference-force-play-slide.html)

tjones1 Tue Apr 15, 2008 06:56pm

Interference / Force Play Slide

Fed.

R1. No outs. Slow roller to F6, F4 takes the throw at second. The force play is made at second and R1 comes in standing up. F4 had to step toward third to throw to first. In my judgement, this altered the play to first. I killed the play immediately; I ruled interference and called the batter-runner out as well.

Coach didn't agree stating that the runners never required to slide. I agreed but stated that the runner may not alter the play.

Your thoughts?

Did I kick the play?

Edit: Added number of outs.

ctblu40 Tue Apr 15, 2008 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
In my judgement, this altered the play to first.

You got the play right if this is truely how you feel. But, the fact that you're questioning it makes me think you may be questioning what it is you saw.

My question would be, did F4 have to step toward third to make the throw, or was it his momentum that took him toward third. If it was his momentum... maybe you kicked it, maybe not. I guess it's HTBT.

jdmara Tue Apr 15, 2008 07:36pm

Sounds like the right call to me

tjones1 Tue Apr 15, 2008 07:44pm

Just wanted to double check and make sure I'm not crazy.

I don't think his momentum as he was stationary when it caught the ball.

ctblu40 Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:15pm

Quote:

In that case, it seems as though you nailed this one... good job!;)

David B Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:31pm

Quote:

But also remember that many times it is normal for f4 to either step backwards or towards third to make the turn on the DP. This keeps them out of the way of the runner who is legally going into 2B. But you thought he interfered, so its a good call. I think that's the bottom line on this type of play.
Thanks
David

johnnyg08 Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:56pm

The burden on this type of play is on the offense here. If you think he interfered, the coach needs to coach his players better.

rei Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:59am

It is my understanding that the runner needs to move AWAY from the fielder if he does not slide. The runner going straight into the bad is NOT moving AWAY from the fielder. Runner Interference. Out and a out.

It is like getting a free out. :D

bob jenkins Wed Apr 16, 2008 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rei
It is my understanding that the runner needs to move AWAY from the fielder if he does not slide. The runner going straight into the bad is NOT moving AWAY from the fielder. Runner Interference. Out and a out.

Agreed, but will add that if the fielder is moving away from the bag, then the runner can run straight to the bag.

mbyron Wed Apr 16, 2008 07:33am

I think it's a good call. Runners never have to slide, but a runner going into 2B standing up better be well out of the fielder's way.

Good job explaining the rationale to the coach, btw. Often that's the hardest part of this call. Short and sweet.

David B Wed Apr 16, 2008 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rei

But I would be careful in explaining to a coach that the runner has any obligation to slide.

This is baseball and the runner cannot just disappear. But if there is intent to interfere then the umpire can make the call of DP.

Basically the runner can go directly to the base or away from the fielder, but if he's going right into the base, he does have a lot of leeway as long as he doesn't do anything to intentionally interfere.

If the coach doesn't like the decision, as Carl used to say, "tell him to play an upperclassman at F4" (grin)

Thanks
David:)

TNStripes Wed Apr 16, 2008 03:35pm

Positioning

What position/location were you in when you made the call?

rei Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Agreed, but will add that if the fielder is moving away from the bag, then the runner can run straight to the bag.

Agreed. Sorry, I was not going to try to cover EVERY possibly scenario that could happen in my post. I am sure the rest of the board will take care of that. ;)

rei Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B
But I would be careful in explaining to a coach that the runner has any obligation to slide.

This is baseball and the runner cannot just disappear. But if there is intent to interfere then the umpire can make the call of DP.

Basically the runner can go directly to the base or away from the fielder, but if he's going right into the base, he does have a lot of leeway as long as he doesn't do anything to intentionally interfere.

If the coach doesn't like the decision, as Carl used to say, "tell him to play an upperclassman at F4" (grin)

Thanks
David:)

I rest my case from my last post. ;)

And I think you are possibly missing the point of the rule. If he doesn't veer away from the fielder, than he MUST slide to not be called for interference. His "intent" has NOTHING to do with anything. I am no mind reader, and don't think I will ever gain that skill. FED and NCAA doesn't require me to read minds and figure "intent" with this rule. Avoid, slide, or get nailed for interference. It is really as simple as that.

MrUmpire Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rei
I rest my case from my last post. ;)

And I think you are possibly missing the point of the rule. If he doesn't veer away from the fielder, than he MUST slide to not be called for interference.

(Gasp!!)

New to the game?

Or just assuming that everytime a runner doesn't slide he interferes?

What if the fielder doesn't attempt the play to first?

What if there is no contact and no alteration of the play?

A runner never "must slide" to avoid an interference call in HS ball. There are always options.