The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2001, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Today,I had the following situation. R1 runs to second base on a high ground ball hit to F4. R1 does not slide into second and runs into F6 on the force play at second. I called interference on R1 and only one out since it was not likely that that the interference prevented a double play. The coach came out of the dugout and said that R1 must slide and therefore it is an automatic two outs. As I understand it in FED, the runner never has to slide but if he chooses to do so, the slide must be legal. If it is an illegal slide then the force-slide play is in affect(with first base occupied) and the umpire calls two outs.

My question is the following
1)Is the above situation a force slide play and two outs to be called or just interference and the outs to be determined by the umpire.

2) Or should I have called nothing since R1 was out on the force at second inspite of the interference and he, in my opinion, did not prevent a double play.

Fed rules please.

Greg

Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
Today,I had the following situation. R1 runs to second base on a high ground ball hit to F4. R1 does not slide into second and runs into F6 on the force play at second. I called interference on R1 and only one out since it was not likely that that the interference prevented a double play. The coach came out of the dugout and said that R1 must slide and therefore it is an automatic two outs. As I understand it in FED, the runner never has to slide but if he chooses to do so, the slide must be legal. If it is an illegal slide then the force-slide play is in affect(with first base occupied) and the umpire calls two outs.

1)Is the above situation a force slide play and two outs to be called or just interference and the outs to be determined by the umpire.

2) Or should I have called nothing since R1 was out on the force at second inspite of the interference and he, in my opinion, did not prevent a double play.

Fed rules please.

Greg

I no longer do FED ball so I won't attest to the accuracy of my opinion. But, I would caution that any rules involving the excpectation that the runner, may slide, as an option, should never be referred to as a MUST SLIDE Rule. Players should be advised as to how they should AVOID CONTACT . We live in a day and age when litigation abounds. We should avoid recommending any particular course of action for any potential runners less he/she breaks a leg and says "The umpire said we had to slide."

As to the FED rule, which sometimes is referred to as a must slide situation, I think that it is a dead ball and if less than two-out you call runner and batter out regardless of whether the fielder is in the act of completing the double-play and regardless of whether or not he had a chance on the batter-runner.

If R1 was run into by the shortstop well in front of the base you may not have interference just stupid base-running or perhaps bad fielding mechanics. If it is FED and you had R1 interference I believe you should have called the Batter out as well. Jim Simms/NYC
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Fed rules please.

Greg

This was a force-play slide situation, and the BR should have (also) been out.

You're correct that the runner needn't slide -- he can run "away" from the play.

On a force play, the runner must (a) slide legally ( no pop up, rolling block, high leg, etc.) and slide toward the bag (i.e., direct line -- not just being able to reach the bag, and not past the bag), or (b) run away from the play.

Since he did neither in your play, and made contact, it's a violation and two are out.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Force play slide rule

I guess we should really just call it the force play rule because as Bob stated the runners do not have to slide.

The key is that the runner made contact or altered the play of the fielder trying to turn the double play.

Last year FED tried to clarify this but they did not publish it in their books. But if I remember right,

1)Illegal slides will always be a double play.

2)If he doesn't slide to the bag but there is no alteration on the play then let the play stand.

3) Any contact with the fielder and it's a double play.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

always 2

The interference on the force paly slide is always 2 outs. If there is interference at second, in any way that alters the play, then the batter-runner is also out. Regardless of what might have happened at first, that runner could be beyond first base but he is ALWAYS OUT!

I should say Always 2 when less than 2 are out.

[Edited by PAblue87 on Mar 26th, 2001 at 12:18 PM]
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

FED rule 8-4-2b

PENALTY: The runner is out, the ball is dead immediately, and interference is called. On a force play slide (your scenario) with less than two outs, the runner is declared out, as well as the batter-runner. Runners shall return to the bases occupied at the time of the pitch. With 2 outs, the runner is declared out. The batter is credited with a fielder's choice.

In your example, we have an automatic 2 outs. We get to go home early.

Pete Booth