The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

balk and offensive interference

R3, 0 outs.
balk followed by a wild pitch. R3 tries to score but the batter interferes with the catchers throw to homeplate (to the pitcher).
whats the proper ruling ? TIME, enforce the balk ? or any penalization to the batter (batter out, R3 scores) ?

same sit but we had a R2 and he would try to score on the wild pitch, and the batter interferes, call the batter out and send R2 back to 3rdbase ?

what i exactly wanna know is, is there a situation, in which the balk is disregarded and the offense penalized, even if a runner did not reached his advance base or a batter runner did not reach first base ?
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bruno_
R3, 0 outs.
balk followed by a wild pitch. R3 tries to score but the batter interferes with the catchers throw to homeplate (to the pitcher).
whats the proper ruling ? TIME, enforce the balk ? or any penalization to the batter (batter out, R3 scores) ?
enforce the balk

Quote:
same sit but we had a R2 and he would try to score on the wild pitch, and the batter interferes, call the batter out and send R2 back to 3rdbase ?
yes -- since R2 advanced a base, ignore the balk

Quote:
what i exactly wanna know is, is there a situation, in which the balk is disregarded and the offense penalized, even if a runner did not reached his advance base or a batter runner did not reach first base ?
not that I can think of
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

In FED games, the balk stops everything after the balk. So your mechanic would be "Time, That's a balk"

In OBR, to your first scenario, if all runners advance one base, including the Batter/Runner, the balk is not enforced...in your sitch, the batter then interferes...your mechanic would be "That's a balk (at the time of the balk)," and now you've noticed that the batter/runner is not going to advance one base on the play, you call "Time" and enforce the balk.

My answer is a little different from the one above, I didn't consult any manuals here though...so I'll wait and see what others post. In the answer to the last question in the scenario..."not that I can think of either" unless the batter gets a hit, and all runners advance one base, you'll always enforce the balk.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
....and now you've noticed that the batter/runner is not going to advance one base on the play, you call "Time" and enforce the balk.
well, in none of my examples, the batter/batter-runner advances to first base. i think, on a wild pitch, the batter does not have to become a batter-runner to disregard the balk ! its up to the runners only.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Edit to my above answer on this play -- In this play, the runner is out, not the batter. The pitch stands, as regards the batter (iow, add a ball (probably) to the count).

I wasn't really concentrating on the "who is out" aspect of the play.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Bruno - this is a good question.

The rule says the ball is dead, and the balk enforced, unless the batter reaches 1st and all other runners advance at least a base. (8.05 PENALTY)

This would dictate that in both situations, the BI is ignored (because the ball is dead), award the runner one base (no pitch to the batter).

It gets murky with the A.R. that says when a pitcher balks and throws wild, runners may advance beyond the awarded base at their own risk. However, in order for the runner(s) to keep advancing at their own risk, the ball must be live, and there is no exception to the ball becoming dead if the batter does not reach 1st.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

HOWEVER, the A.R. says F1 can throw wild to a BASE and the runners can advance at their own risk. Since it is impossible for the batter to reach 1st when F1 balks while throwing to a base, my previous post is probably wrong.

Sometimes I wish there were an intervening step in the posting process, like:

"Read your reply again. Are you SURE you want to post it?"
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
R3, 0 outs.
From your question I gather you do not undertsand the terminolgy "delayed dead ball"

Delayed dead ball means we delay the enforcement of the infraction UNTIL action stops, then

We look at the criteria in this case rule 8.05 and see if all the condtions were met or not.

In your OP the conditions were not met R3 and B1 didn't advance a base therefore, enforce.

Notice on a balk Penalty: NO OPTION for the coach. We simply enforce as opposed to CI or CO for FED where in addition to the above the coach would have an option.

Basically if the criteria was not met any action that followed ie; BI in your OP is negated.

One of the EXCEPTIONS would be if a player committed MC in NCAA or FED.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

From your question I gather you do not undertsand the terminolgy "delayed dead ball"
If Bruno is talking OBR, and I think he is, there is no delayed dead ball.

What about batter's interference you ask? Isn't the ball delayed dead?

Well, is is dead or live at the occurence? Live.

Will it be called dead later? Maybe.

What if conditions later require killing the ball? Now it's dead.

And if conditions later don't require killing the ball? It's STILL live.

As Evans teaches, if it's possible that it will not be killed, how can you call it "delayed dead?" It's either live or dead and that status can change according to play.