The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 06:34pm

There is a hollow directly below (which means beneath) the patella. Everyone has one. It is the visible indentation which I have used to determine the low end of the zone ever since they rewrote the rule. There is no hollow behind the knee.

I majored in Physical Education, which is very similar to pre-med in its classroom studies, with Anatomy, Physiology, and Kinesiology and never once heard of there being a "hollow" on the anterior of the knee. The patellar ligament is directly below the patella, and behind that is the meniscus, which is the hollow of the knee. Behind the leg there is no knee, just a fibrous capsule which separates the femur and tibia.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
There is a hollow directly below (which means beneath) the patella.
When the doctor scrapes the area beneath your knee cap, does he scrape below it?

The old image of the strike zone at ML used to have the low point line extend right to the backside of the knee. Now, I believe it points to the knee.

I'll take pro school instructors and ML interps, Steve.

This really isn't worth the BW. Call what you'd like, I merely answered a question with correct, albeit, inconsequential information.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Guess you don't work in manufacturing or engineering.

No. And I am not a meteorologist, either.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex
No. And I am not a meteorologist, either.
Have you ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express ?
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 11:57pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the knee cap.

So that is just another way of saying" The centerline of the kneecap". Right?

That's a phrase that could use some cleaning up.
The centerline of the knee cap is just that. The hollow of the knee is the point at which the knee cap ends (toward the foot). It is not hollow, it is filled with the tendon that connects the knee cap to the lower leg bone.

And this centerline moves, so does the zone, up and down as the knee cap moves up and down as you bend your knee.

Several morons, er less intellectually enhanced umpires, use this variation in the lower part of the strike zone to make their case that your original position as you get in the box is the zone they call. See standing figure in OBR.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 12:20am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
There is a hollow directly below (which means beneath) the patella. Everyone has one. It is the visible indentation which I have used to determine the low end of the zone ever since they rewrote the rule. There is no hollow behind the knee.
The hollow is the indentation that is left/right of the ligament that connects the patella with the tibia. If you use this hollow, then you have Superman X-Ray vision. It is almost always covered by the pants.

Quote:
I majored in Physical Education, which is very similar to pre-med in its classroom studies, with Anatomy, Physiology, and Kinesiology and never once heard of there being a "hollow" on the anterior of the knee.
The "knee" is a joint (no not like smoking tumbleweed ); anterior and transverse to the joint is the hollow created as described above.

Quote:
The patellar ligament is directly below the patella, and behind that is the meniscus, which is the hollow of the knee.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzt. The patella (knee pad) slides over the knee joint. The meniscus is inside the joint...

Note it is not hollow there. The meniscus (cartilage) is inside the knee joint. The hollow occurs right/left and is created by the patellar ligament.

Quote:
Behind the leg there is no knee, just a fibrous capsule which separates the femur and tibia.
What? The leg where? The leg includes the knee joint.

My God, Steve, what would have ever happened in phys ed class, if you had a pateller dislocation?

"Get up, you wimp, there is no leg behind your knee so that thing that is horribly deformed and looks like a small plate over on your thigh ain't anything."

Last edited by fitump56; Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 12:33am.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 12:49am
In Time Out

Quote:
From my limited understanding, when they changed the bottom of the strike zone from "top of the knee" to "the hollow beneath the kneecap," it was to make the strike zone bigger. If you look at the diagram in the rule book, the dotted line representing the bottom of the zone intersects the hollow directly beneath the front side of the knee. That line is significantly lower (perhaps an inch or so) than the crease that is "behind" the knee.
The verbiage is the hollow of the knee. It's crap. It was about "at the knee" so MLB moons without being anatomically correct, whilst swiggin brewskis no doubt, came up with this trash.

For me, if the ball, with pants on and Super X-ray vision "Off", the top of the ball, is at the bend of the knee which I can see protruding outside the pant when B flexes, I got a strike.

Other than that, at close strikes have a hell of a lot more to do with the quality of F1/F2 play. And B play.