The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Chipper Jones - #1 whiner in baseball? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/38029-chipper-jones-1-whiner-baseball.html)

socalblue1 Wed Sep 05, 2007 03:07am

Chipper Jones - #1 whiner in baseball?

Need one say more?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

David B Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalblue1

Yeah they are on a losing streak mainly because of their lack of pitching, but he also has a point - MLB umpires have taken a step back.

Just read all of the posts this season - a lot more than usual.

And Reed does have an awful strike zone.

Thanks
David

justanotherblue Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:50am

Funny how he didn't complain when Maddox and Glavine were pitching for the Braves. Talk about wide strike zones. I watched Lopez set up with his outside foot out of the box and get a strike simply because he didnt move. The ball was off the plate by more than just a bit. He didn't complain then, so why is he complaining now?

I didn't agree with it then, and I don't agree with it now, still, perhaps he would like some cheese and crackers also!

scarolinablue Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:48pm

Jones is #2

He learned from #1, his longtime manager, Bobby Cox. Now that's the definition of RAT!

Rich Wed Sep 05, 2007 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B
Yeah they are on a losing streak mainly because of their lack of pitching, but he also has a point - MLB umpires have taken a step back.

Thanks
David

So the amount of whining is related to the quality of umpiring? Your post sounds like it was written by a Braves fan......or a rat.

JRutledge Wed Sep 05, 2007 02:19pm

I saw several pitches from the game last night. Two of the pitches were clearly strikes that Chipper looked at and it appeared he was not happy with. There was one that was very close, but if you want to watch pitches, you put it in the hand of the umpire to make a judgment. He even walked on a pitch that was very close and the umpire balled that I think could have easily been called a strike.

The problem with a lot of players is they want someone to help them out. If you do not want to be called for a strike, swing the damn bat. Not all pitches are going to be right down the middle so you can drive them out of the park.

Peace

GarthB Wed Sep 05, 2007 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B

Thanks
David

Did you see the game?

Reed did not have "an awful strike zone." His was very close to what MLB has been yammering for the last five years, more vertical than horizontal.

The pitches Chippy moaned about were strikes.

I find it amazing that he whines that loudly when even a frustrated Bobby Cox didn't complain about it.

Rich Wed Sep 05, 2007 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
Did you see the game?

Reed did not have "an awful strike zone." His was very close to what MLB has been yammering for the last five years, more vertical than horizontal.

I find it amazing that he whines that loudly when even a frustrated Bobby Cox didn't complain about it.

It was a high strike. For Chipper to say the pitch was in the other batter's box is ludicrous. He just assumes all watching are umpire-hating morons.

GarthB Wed Sep 05, 2007 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
It was a high strike. For Chipper to say the pitch was in the other batter's box is ludicrous. He just assumes all watching are umpire-hating morons.

The key is that it was a high strike, right where MLB has said it wants it called.

mbyron Wed Sep 05, 2007 03:54pm

Quote:

The key is that it was a high strike, right where MLB has said it wants it called.

Ah, your claim here distinguishes you from Chipper and his ilk. They all think that THEY are MLB.

Some suit-wearing, latte-sipping, wannabe poseurs yammering at umpires about how to call a plate has nothing to do with baseball: Chipper himself said he has more walks than strikeouts, so obviously he knows where the strike zone is.
[/tongue-in-cheek]

umpduck11 Wed Sep 05, 2007 04:29pm

Tell Chippy to go hang out at Hooters......

NFump Wed Sep 05, 2007 05:07pm

Why? He has one at home.

ncump7 Wed Sep 05, 2007 07:41pm

If the strike zone was so bad, why are the rest of the Braves not crying and complaining. Even Bobby Cox was not complaining. Shut up Chipper and swing the bat.:p

fitump56 Wed Sep 05, 2007 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalblue1

As The Years Roll By...

Jones was a some-time show at Boss' strength training facility in ATL, never dedicated to his off season. He was born to play and he knew it. But his head has grown the size of a watermelon and when the Braves oredered him inot a post season rehab/strength training program, he went out and bought $50K of weight machine crap and put it in his house. Rarely used it. :rolleyes: Called Boss, "come train me." U, like No.

His head came unravelelled after he beat the Hooter's rap and when he remarried, he built a new mansion on the corner of, I swear this is true, Bowen-Jones Road. :D

Boss lived literally around the corner, saw Jones at the local gas stop, aksd him how his new house was. "They named the street after me."

:D :D :D

Only if was 75 years old.

David B Thu Sep 06, 2007 01:26am

Quote:

Did you see the game?

I didn't watch the entire game but I did see the at bat Chipper talked about. I thought the pitch was up and in.

Must be just me but I still don't like the high strike they try to get called, its just not consistent game to game no matter how hard they try.

Generally, Reed is not one of the better ball and strike umps - haven't see the charts this year where the players rate the umpires but if I remember right he's usually not at the top of the list.

thansk
David