The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

batting from both sides of plate

Can a batter bat from both sides of the plate in the same at bat?

Issue came up in a fall league my son plays in? Umpire said it was not allowed - I do not know the rule so I am assuming he is correct. Just want to double check.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 09:48pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelbling
Can a batter bat from both sides of the plate in the same at bat?

Issue came up in a fall league my son plays in? Umpire said it was not allowed - I do not know the rule so I am assuming he is correct. Just want to double check.

Yes, the batter can change batter's box after every pitch if he so desires. This is not making a travesty of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Yes, the batter can change batter's box after every pitch if he so desires. This is not making a travesty of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Except he can not do it if pitcher is in contact, he would be out in this case.

I will add that I have never seen a batter change positions in the box during an at bat, so this is a rare case. There is a reason for switch hitters to bat one way or the other, ie which arm the pitcher is pitching with. For a switch hitter to change in mid at bat should mean a pitching change has been made durinig the at bat and the new pitcher throws with a different arm. I can not remember ever seeing a new pitcher come in during an at bat throwing from a different side either.

Since most fall leagues are pretty laid back, instructional, whatever you want to call it, if a batter was continuously swapping back and forth I would tell him to stop that nonsense and if his coach insisted there was no rule against it, ie condoning such nonsense, I think I would likely say "ok, I agree, you are right, change sides as much as you like" and then send a message he would not likely understand because he is too dumb to understand.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG

Since most fall leagues are pretty laid back, instructional, whatever you want to call it, if a batter was continuously swapping back and forth I would tell him to stop that nonsense and if his coach insisted there was no rule against it, ie condoning such nonsense, I think I would likely say "ok, I agree, you are right, change sides as much as you like" and then send a message he would not likely understand because he is too dumb to understand.
Translation: You don't like it so you're going to punish a legal act.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG

As DG has stated and as per 6.06, A batter is out for illegal action when- (b) "He steps from one batter's box to the other while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch".

If the pitcher was sharp, he would step on the rubber knowing that the batter is going to switch positions. "He's out", providing you have a sharp umpire. Get ready for ejection(s).

This is why I like to read this board. It prepares me for what I may only see once.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 01:24am.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Translation: You don't like it so you're going to punish a legal act.
Explain something to me. Why would a coach want to condone this?
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
In a NFHS game, I have actually had a hitter come to the plate batting left handed. He was attempting to bunt for a hit up the third base line and gain a head start from being on that side of the plate. After he obtained the second strike and as the catcher was throwing the ball back to the mound, the hitter switched to the right handed side of the plate. The only confusion was with the parents in the crowd.

I have witnessed a pitcher pitch with both arms. Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska had a pitcher that could pitch with both arms. He utilizes a five finger glove so it can work on either hand. According to the rules, he does have to decide which arm he is pitching with to each hitter before the at bat starts.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Explain this first: what does what a coach thinks have to do with what is or is not allowed by Rule?
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
As DG has stated and as per 6.06, A batter is out for illegal action when- (b) "He steps from one batter's box to the other while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch".

If the pitcher was sharp, he would step on the rubber knowing that the batter is going to switch positions. "He's out", providing you have a sharp umpire. Get ready for ejection(s).

This is why I like to read this board. It prepares me for what I may only see once.
Just touching the rubber isn't enough. He has to be in position ready to pitch.

in position = windup or set. He isn't ready to pitch until then.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG

That's my decision, not yours. Your job is to call the game per the rules.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I can't remember ever having a batter switch boxes in a baseball game. But maybe I forgot one or two.

In ASA and NCAA softball, batters do it routinely.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG

I will add that I have never seen a batter change positions in the box during an at bat, so this is a rare case. There is a reason for switch hitters to bat one way or the other, ie which arm the pitcher is pitching with. For a switch hitter to change in mid at bat should mean a pitching change has been made durinig the at bat and the new pitcher throws with a different arm. I can not remember ever seeing a new pitcher come in during an at bat throwing from a different side either.

If a kid was doing this within the rules, he's not delaying the game so other than making you slide over a step or two each pitch what difference does it make?
I've never thought about it but it may disconcert the pitcher.
3-1 count pitcher gets ball back from F2 walks back to mound, B1 switches sides, F1 turns back to home and sees B1 on "wrong" side of plate. he complains because he just assumes that is wrong, Ump allows it because he should. F1 is now flustered and of course walks B1.
Not a bad strategy.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks.

Issue was similar to one mentioned above - I had my son attempt a bunt from left side of plate - after 2 strikes he went back to the right side of the plate. Umpires are pretty lax in the fall league - he just came to me after the at bat and said it was not allowed - that he had to pick a side and stick with it.

At no time did he interrupt or slow play by switching sides and he did not do it when the pitcher was on the mound.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine27
In a NFHS game, I have actually had a hitter come to the plate batting left handed. He was attempting to bunt for a hit up the third base line and gain a head start from being on that side of the plate. After he obtained the second strike and as the catcher was throwing the ball back to the mound, the hitter switched to the right handed side of the plate.
I've seen this several times. One of the local high schools has a couple squirrelly farts on the team. They put them in the LH box to gain that extra step on the drag bunt. Then they change sides with two strikes, or when the bunt attempt fails the first time.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
That's my decision, not yours. Your job is to call the game per the rules.
I have revised my thinking on this. I wouldn't do anything except be amused. Fall ball, young kids, coach who wouldn't get the message, nothing to be gained here.