The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
So you call 3 Man all the time? 3 Man is an academic study for the rest of us, I bow to your consistent use of 3 Man. Please enlighten.
wow FITUMP ....FED does 3man all the time in PLAYOFF season.

Last edited by UmpLarryJohnson; Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 11:10pm.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 11:18pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thanks, Pattie, this is why 3 Man is a st00pid option for FED; it's more about looking keen and adding another ump to the payroll than getting calls right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump
That is, quite possibly, the stupidest post I've ever read on this board.
Newbie, huh?

Let's look at this 3 Man idea for a second. Bear with me, don't change the channel, you might learn something. Open a closed mind...if possible.

Fed wants 3 Man in playoffs. Sounds good, one more guy out there, better officiating..........

Bzzzzt. Wrong. 3 man mechanics are quite different from 2 man. I se this scramble to learn 3 man every youear. Even the "old hats" can't get the mechanics down as they fire drill and practice, usually with no game on, and try to "perfect" 3 man. Coaches, I can't count the number who have called me complaining about terrible 3 man mechs, hell, you know, you're right, Coach.

3 man is a joke when the quality of play is at its highest. Why does FED promote it?

1) The "old hats" usually get the FED playoffs, they are older, 3 Man means less running around.
2) It looks neato kewl
3) It supports the idea that the playoffs are special ("Look Billy, three whole umpires!!!)
4) MLB has extra umps, why not us? I won't begin to pick apart the failures of MLB extra4 crews, they are legion.
5) FED is run by a bunch of senseless morons (see the rule changes including the now infamous "out without protest" missed bag idiocy) who wannabe NCAA so bad they can't think straight.

Nope, sorry ET(n) ump, call home to someone who can open your eyes since I consider your response, quite possibly, the stupidest one I have ever read on this board.

See how that works?
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 11:22pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
3 man is 50% better coverage than 2 man, and significantly easier than 2 man.
IF done properly, rarely it is. Easier, sure is, which as I have posted is one of the main reasons they have 3 man, older umps need the "easier" but who are we supposedly serving here, the umps or the sport?

Why not 4 man or 6 man then? Is a few bucks here and there in a sport that rakes in hundreds of thousands of consequence? Not in the least.

3 man, I stiffly contend, is a joke that serves umpires not the game.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 11:24pm
In Time Out

So you call 3 Man all the time? 3 Man is an academic study for the rest of us, I bow to your consistent use of 3 Man. Please enlighten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
wow FITUMP ....FED does 3man all the time in PLAYOFF season.
Which part of my post above blew right over your head, Larry? What percentage of HS games are playoff games?
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 11:27pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Please explain why you think this is "stupid." It's the same mechanic for CCA and OBR (with perhaps some variants on whether the umpire in the middle has the "big V" or the "little V").
See other posts, asked and answered Bob. I don't call CCA, how many FED umps do? OBR mechanics, are you talking PBUC? FED mechanics to PBUC? Two man OBRs?

What is stupid is to put umps in a set of mechanics they rarely use.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 11:30pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I'll tell you what is REALLY idiotic is 4 man on the 60' field. We used 2 man in the playoff for the preliminary rounds and 3 man for quarter and semi's and 4 man for final games.
4 man on 60', no kidding, who died running into each other?

Quote:
I believe it was in 2005 that the NCAA changed their mechanics to allow the inside umpire to go out on trouble balls. That one change alone made 3 man worth it, because the only advantage 3 man has over 2 man is the ability to have an umpire go out on every trouble ball.
You know, I see a few more but I agree that may well be the best advantage of 3 vs 2 and that assumes that everyone gets their 3 man mechanics tight on those troubled balls.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 11:36pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Your appreciation and understanding of three man appears, by this statement, to be limited.
Maybe that has something to do with limited use of it? I dunno, some, no, most of us don't have the time to spend massive amount of daily hours reading the nuances of X man mechanics, of course, and as always, YDayMV and certainly does.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 11:37pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
In my golden years, I am doing pretty much all LL 60-foot games.

[Waiting for sniggering]

Ace
Won't get any here. I have as many of these under my belt as 90' (I think )
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 12:51am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Absolutely freaking amazing. Eleven (11) freaking posts in a freaking row in one freaking thread.

Are you answering all those voices that the rest of us can't hear?

You are a hoot, Sybil.
I don't get it... are fitump56 and BigUmp56 the same guy?

PS: MTD: I was thinking the same thing before I read your post. Not fair - you beat me to it.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 01:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Nope. Fitump56 is either the former owner of Officials Unlimited or his stoolie Donovan Hammond. He rears his ugly head here from time to time under a new alias to stir up a little conflict. A true troll in every sense of the word. Even his chosen user name is a weak attempt to mock my own.
If JR's contention is true, 3 of fitump56's posts have been deleted, as I only count 8 consecutive posts: 17 through 24.

Basketball had a guy like that too. I forget his username though.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 05:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
If JR's contention is true, 3 of fitump56's posts have been deleted, as I only count 8 consecutive posts: 17 through 24.

Basketball had a guy like that too. I forget his username though.
FitUmp56 also posts under Steven Tyler, and used to post under PWL. He also apparently has an imaginary friend called Donovan. The names "Wayne" and "Paul" have come up too, I think. All of these different personas are noted for making and then deleting posts. He is also known for answering his own posts by using a different persona

It sure would be simpler if he only used one username to post. Sybil would be kinda apt.

http://www.fright.com/edge/sybil.html

Btw, I don't think that FitUmp56/StevenTyler/PWL/Wayne/Paul has ever been seen in the same room as Old School either.

Also btw, he is also a key member of the legendary on-line on-going feud that rivals the Hatfields and McCoys. He and his various personalities are on one side and BigUmp56/SanDiegoSteve are on the other side. It's kinda like Days Of Our Lives and it's lasted just about as long too, spanning several message boards.

Tune in daily. You never know what you might miss. You have to get there before the moderators though, or you'll miss about 50% of the posts.

It's true, it's true......

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 05:21am.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See other posts, asked and answered Bob.
As a point of posting etiquette -- there's no need to repsond to each and every post, especially when you're making the same point.

Quote:
I don't call CCA, how many FED umps do? OBR mechanics, are you talking PBUC? FED mechanics to PBUC? Two man OBRs?
Yes, I meant PBUC (or any other mechanics used in leagues that use OBR). The point is, you criticised a specific coverage under FED mechanics, when the coverage is the same under all (large-diamond) mechanics. What would you propose instead?

Quote:
What is stupid is to put umps in a set of mechanics they rarely use.
On this topic, I generally agree. "Competent" two-person mechanics are better than "incompetent" three-person mechanics. And, if the individuals don't have the proper training, the time to get it is NOT during the most important games. Still, that sounds like a problem with your area / association than with any specific mechanics or plan to use 3 umpires during the playoffs. Many areas provide that training during the season.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 08:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Btw, I don't think that FitUmp56/StevenTyler/PWL/Wayne/Paul has ever been seen in the same room as Old School either.
I'm glad that baseball and basketball have opposite seasons. It makes visiting the OF year round worthy.

I stopped watching the stories on TV, maybe this is an acceptable substitute.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 08:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Your appreciation and understanding of three man appears, by this statement, to be limited.
Yup. Matter of fact I could argue (quite convincingly) that 3 is the sweet spot in terms of number of umpires.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree that 3 man mechanics are quite nice if you are used to them. Randomly grab 3 2-man mechanic umpires and throw them on the field and the result is not always good.