The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

First Base Coach

Situation: R2, batter hits an easy ground ball to second but F4 throws the ball low and gets by the first baseman. The first base coach makes like a hockey goalie and sticks out his foot and stops the ball, picks it up and throws it to the pitcher.

The ball would have easily gone into DBT. I called time and left the runners on first and third. Did I make the right call and if not what should I have done? Didn't get any flack on the call and infact the offensive manager yelled across the diamond to give his coach hell!!
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
The ball would have easily gone into DBT. I
If that's the case, penalize accordingly. BR to second, R2 scores, i.e., two bases from TOP.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'monBlue
If that's the case, penalize accordingly. BR to second, R2 scores, i.e., two bases from TOP.
Huh? You're going to reward the offense for action by an offensive coach?
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Unofficial interp.: Grab a bat and beat the coach senseless. Problem solved.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Unofficial interp.: Grab a bat and beat the coach senseless. Problem solved.
I think it would be much easier if you just "grab a bat and beat the coach"....the rest is a given.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Huh? The offensive coach stops the ball from going into DBT and you want to penalize the defense by awarding bases to the offense.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the O-coach picks up the live ball with his hat, are you going to give the BR third?

Be careful, or some coach is going to figure out how to get all of his runners to score from your awards on every safe single.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Heck no - why reward the OFFENSE for the offensive coach's blunder. Dead ball - leave the runners alone. He's lucky he's not getting an out from the deal, but we can't do that unless his interference prevented a possible out.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargee7
I think it would be much easier if you just "grab a bat and beat the coach"....the rest is a given.
Good point.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation: R2, batter hits an easy ground ball to second but F4 throws the ball low and gets by the first baseman. The first base coach makes like a hockey goalie and sticks out his foot and stops the ball, picks it up and throws it to the pitcher.

The ball would have easily gone into DBT. I called time and left the runners on first and third. Did I make the right call and if not what should I have done? Didn't get any flack on the call and infact the offensive manager yelled across the diamond to give his coach hell!!
While everyone else is jumping on C'monBlue for that less than intelligent remark, no one has answered your question.

By keeping the runners from advancing any farther, you have effectively penalized the offense for the offensive Rat's stupidity!

Well done!
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
While everyone else is jumping on C'monBlue for that less than intelligent remark, no one has answered your question.

By keeping the runners from advancing any farther, you have effectively penalized the offense for the offensive Rat's stupidity!

Well done!
I was pretty sure I was safe with not awarding bases. I was wondering if I should have called time. I know that if a base coach inadvertantly gets hits by a thrown ball, it is play on. However, just wondering what the rule is with regards to deliberate interference.

It didn't happen last night, but what would have happened if R2 tried to run home because of an assumed base award and the defense was able to tag him between 3rd and home.

Even bigger question, how would you score the out: F4-offensive coach-F1-F2.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:24am
Stop staring at me swan.

With this sitch...what is the official rule though...I could see this happening...wouldn't you kill the play immediately and place the runners where they would've reached had the rat not stopped the ball...OR, if this is the first play by the offense and the runner had not safely reached 1B at the TOT that you'd place the runners on 2B and 3B?? since the coach intentionally stopping the ball qualifies as "dead ball territory"?? Just like if he threw the ball into the stands while making a play on BR at 1B is any of this accurate?? Just asking fellas...I don't have my RB's here w/ me today to consult...then would the FED/OBR rulings be the same in this sitch??

Last edited by johnnyg08; Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 11:28am.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:26am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
I was pretty sure I was safe with not awarding bases. I was wondering if I should have called time. I know that if a base coach inadvertantly gets hits by a thrown ball, it is play on. However, just wondering what the rule is with regards to deliberate interference.

It didn't happen last night, but what would have happened if R2 tried to run home because of an assumed base award and the defense was able to tag him between 3rd and home.

Even bigger question, how would you score the out: F4-offensive coach-F1-F2.
You can't keep the ball live if you're giving base awards...runners have to follow the touch provisions on the bases, but the defense can't make a play on a runner that's being awarded a base...if this is deliberate interference, the play is dead right now.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Why is this not considered interference and someone called out? This was a deliberate act prevented the defense from making a play on the ball.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:46am
Stop staring at me swan.

I see what you're saying JRutledge...but I disagree...who are you going to call out on this play?? you can't make up rules...