The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Question

1st base base coach gets hit with that overthrow from F6 no intentional interference. Blocked ball or live ball??
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Don,
Need just a bit more info here. Was the coach in the coach's box? Did the coach do anything that was not part of his/her normal movements?

This sounds like the coach is in the box ad is surprised by the overthrow. If that's the case, live ball, keep playing.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Live ball if not intentional. I think a blocked ball is only called if it hits a spectator or someone not involved in the game.

If in your judgement it was intentional......call the runner closest to home out. I think it is in 8-8.

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Feb 16th, 2001 at 09:59 PM]
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Yes Steve I'm sorry I did mean to put the coach in the box just forgot to put em in there and that what I thought in the rule book discussing blocked ball the rule says contact with a person not engaged in the game I am suppose they are referring to somebody like a bat boy because spectator interference is a different ruling than blocked ball.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Don,
OK, you got it. Bat boy and anyone else who is not supposed to be right there and you've got interference or blocked ball - depending on which team's person got hit with the ball. A coach in the box who has not intentionally done anything inappropriate - play on as our soccer counterparts say.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Steve,

In ASA does the coach have to be in the box to be protected from the (unintentional) inteference call? Fed and USSSA only requires him to be in foul territory to be protected.

Roger Greene,
Member UT
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Roger,
It sure makes it easier if the coach stays in the box. The ASA book sez in Rule 4, Section 8, Article C2 - "A base coach shall be obligated to stay within the confines of thses boxes with both feet. A coach may leave the coach's box to signal the runner to slide, advance, or return to a base or move out of a fielder's way as long as the coach does not interfere with the play." The only time I have ever called interference on a coach was during a men's C game in a similar play to this example but the ball went out of play after hitting the coach (it would not have gone out if it had not hit the coach).