The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

Not to "burst your bubble" but IMO you were moved because others most likely "kicked back' this game.

Also I know you want to move up but when you get a "high level' varsity game this time of year and all along you were doing Freshman / JV there's something "rotten in Denmark"

Pete Booth
I don't know Pete. Maybe the assignor knew exactly what he was doing, this was a high level late season game that meant nothing to either team's playoff hopes, one team is known for bad behaviour and he was sent to be evaluated.

And it would seem he knows what he needs to work on but did not use this opportunity to work on it. Anyone who would not toss instantaneously after hearing "Your are the worst f*cking umpires I have ever seen!" and load up to toss again if there is a negative reaction from any other game participants lacks game management skills entirely.

He needs to go read the Six EJ's post from Arnold A. and learn how to get any and all comers.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
It's not rabbit ears anymore when they start with "Hey Blue....". Now they are inviting you in!
Well put, Oz. I'm going to borrow this phrase when I give clinics. I also like the "burn the dugout" phrase. I have often been the "burner," but never used dem woids.

Ace
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE][QUOTE=DG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
I don't know Pete. Maybe the assignor knew exactly what he was doing, this was a high level late season game that meant nothing to either team's playoff hopes, one team is known for bad behaviour and he was sent to be evaluated.
If the aforementioned was the case, then Pat would have already been assigned this game.

From the OP

Quote:
I was very excited to be moved from a mid-level freshman game (base job) to a High-Level Varsity Game (plate job) here in NJ today.
Varsity games ALWAYS have 2 umpires, therefore, this particlar game already had 2 varisty officials pre-scheduled. It's seems "on paper" that one of these officials (we now know why) kicked back the game, and perhaps the other varisty officials on the roster already had assignments, hence Pat got the call.

It's a BIG move from "Mid-level Freshman" to "High level" varsity. In addition it seems as though the assignor "threw him to the wolves"

Also, I doubt that this was the first time these particular teams and fans behaved that way for the FIRST time. I know none of us were there, but it appears that the association has done nothing about these teams behaviors. Maybe the other varisty officials who did these teams games in the past were afraid of getting a bad rating and therefore, did nothing about the behavior. (BTW this is common in many an umpire association)

As I mentioned, it's nice to move up but generally speaking when you as an official have been doing low to mid level Fresman ball all season and suddenly get a call to do the dish on a "high level' varsity game something is going on here.

Pete Booth
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Why?

so I'm not the only one wondering this
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Sit 1 & 2

Sit 1 = I would have definitely given the coach the stare down on & if he continued.. He'd have an early exit.

Sit 2 = Bye coach... Cursing is a definite no no with me. Would have tossed him like salad at a cookout.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUmpinCT
Sit 1 = I would have definitely given the coach the stare down on & if he continued.. He'd have an early exit.

Sit 2 = Bye coach... Cursing is a definite no no with me. Would have tossed him like salad at a cookout.
Re: Sit2, read the OP again, cursing came from stands and bench (OP mentioned they were near ea other)....Who do you toss? The coach when it may have been a fan?--cant call what you dont see....And though nothing coaches do surprises me anymore, the fact that it was a "high level varsity game" makes me think a coach in that position knows better, and if not actually seen who said it, would have to give the coach the benefit of the doubt----patents are another matter.....

Last edited by archangel; Thu May 17, 2007 at 02:31pm.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do the next time?

Sit 1) Game management will stop that.

Sit 2) Clarify double play ball hit to shortstop… Runs over the bag – three feet prior to the runner getting there. Legal slide, no popup but the Shortstop trips over the legs of the runner. NO interference – totally legal slide and just a “trip”. Base umpire calls runner safe due to shortstop never reaching the bag. Then coach goes out to him to argue… From the bench and the stands (they are behind one another)… “that was a rule change! Four years ago! That should have been two! Your are the worst f*cking umpires I have ever seen! We should all just go home!”. Coach returns and we have R1 and R2 now…

Sit 3) Typical stuff on my ignore list

Sit 4) See 1 above

Sit 5) Clarify Check Swing on a Bunt… Batter attempts and moves towards the pitcher – similar to a drag bunt… But at the last second swings the bat along the ground and moves 2-3 feet out of the box… I give a strong – yes he went! And all heck breaks loose… The coach now is screaming that the call was horrible and that I need to get some help… Called strike – no help is EVER given, but I honestly thought he went… Then my partner says, well you cant appeal a bunt… and throws me under the bus.
As you can see, I don’t like to have “rabbit ears”. I know Evans teaches the “four stages” of warning and such but I just don’t like looking for trouble. When it finds me – in my face, words directed at me directly then I can handle it… But about “pot shots” from the dugout… A little help?
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Thanks everyone,

I need to make a few clarifications...

1) I have been called up and was assigned about 8 varsity games this year, two plate assignments...

2) It's not that I dont want to enact the "four stages" but I went to a clinic w. Evans and they were sort of the last things covered...

3) I dont like making waves but last year I had 6 EJ (in the season I may add) and now some guys think im a Redass...

Thanks for the comments... and i dont know why my partner was in "c"
Congrats again to your son

Pat
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 01:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Booth
Also, I doubt that this was the first time these particular teams and fans behaved that way for the FIRST time. I know none of us were there, but it appears that the association has done nothing about these teams behaviors. Maybe the other varsity officials who did these teams games in the past were afraid of getting a bad rating and therefore, did nothing about the behavior. (BTW this is common in many an umpire association)
My assignor used to send me to "trouble spots" to go in and clean house. I'd go in there and in no uncertain terms show that there was a new sheriff in town. These schools or leagues aren't the place to put a lower-level, less experienced umpire right off the bat, and I agree that perhaps he was thrown to the wolves.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 01:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
would someone mind detailing the Four Stages of Warning? or post a link?
1. Eject

2. Eject someone else

3. Eject a third person

4. Eject everyone and go get a beer

Seriously, PAT THE REF:

Don't worry about the number of ejections you get. Just make sure that they deserve to get run. The guys calling you a redass are probably weak officials who are afraid to ruffle anyone's feathers, and are the umpires responsible for the behavior you just experienced. A good, clean, deserved ejection can set the tone for good behavior for not only the rest of that game, but for everytime that team sees you walk up to the field.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I dont' know about other's, but if I hear "Your are the worst f*cking umpires I have ever seen! We should all just go home!”, and I suspect its coming from the bench, I'm going to take a little stroll over there.

The HC is gonna get tuned up, and told. "I don't know where that came from, but if I hear it again then part two of the statement will come true for you"... He may not have been the cause, but he will ensure it stops.

I had much the same situation in a game where I went to the "HC" to give him a warning, and his response was, " I'm not the HC". I said, 'well you were at the plate meeting and told me you were the HC". Well here comes the 'real' HC who says.."WTF is your problem"...."I said, YOU, and he got tossed. I then turned to the pretend HC and said, "you've just been promoted, now control this bench!!"

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.

Last edited by RPatrino; Fri May 18, 2007 at 03:48pm.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
1. Eject

2. Eject someone else

3. Eject a third person

4. Eject six and go get a beer

My philosophy exactly !!!

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Remember, This is HS Baseball

It sounds as if your assignor failed to give you a strong partner for your first Varsity game. The higher level of ball you do, the more important Game management is. Coaches will get away with what you allow them to. Here is some insight to what you posted:
1) First of all, if there is any interference call at second, it is yours, the PU. If your partner ruled he didn't touch the base, that is totally different than Int.
2)After the H/C asks his catcher where the pitch was the 2nd time, and he makes a comment back such as " It's right there", call time and sweep the plate. Inform the catcher 2 important directives. Tell him the next time he trys to show you up it will be the last time, and to inform the coach the same thing. Now is a good time to issue a warning for arguing balls and strikes.
3) This is HS BB and coaches are responsible for the players, Asst. coaches, and their FANS. Any profanity shouted from the stands should immediately brought to the H/C's attention, and he should be told to get them under control immediately, or they will be removed. If you know who used the F bomb, have them removed by Game Adm.
4) As for a strike called on a bunt attempt, there is no appeal if you ruled he went.
5) Finally, learn from your mistakes. Don't ever let the coaches turn the focus of the game from the players to the umpires