The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I did my first varsity game last night and things just did not seem to go that smooth. I feel that we called a good game and both coaches after the game said that we did a good job, but I was quiet nervous and I was kinda slow on the whistle and sortof jerky on my machanics. My partner as been doing varsity games for many years and he said I did average and he would take me again. I was just looking for some advice on how to get things to go smoother or if you have a story about your first varsity game? I tried to treat it like it was just another game but it just wasn't. It was a girls game between two schools that are only a few miles apart and the gym was pack, not like some JV games were you can count the number of people. I just have to figure out how to keep my nerves in check and maybe it will just take some more games at that level.

Thanks again to everyone for the great info on this site!
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Comfort in such situations only comes with time and experience. I believe it just simply takes a while to get used too.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Wink Don't worry...

Quote:
Originally posted by glind
I did my first varsity game last night and things just did not seem to go that smooth. I feel that we called a good game and both coaches after the game said that we did a good job, but I was quiet nervous and I was kinda slow on the whistle and sortof jerky on my machanics. My partner as been doing varsity games for many years and he said I did average and he would take me again. I was just looking for some advice on how to get things to go smoother or if you have a story about your first varsity game? I tried to treat it like it was just another game but it just wasn't. It was a girls game between two schools that are only a few miles apart and the gym was pack, not like some JV games were you can count the number of people. I just have to figure out how to keep my nerves in check and maybe it will just take some more games at that level.

Thanks again to everyone for the great info on this site!
I, too, had my first varsity boys' game this year. I, too, posted just as you have!

I felt like I my eye was too slow in the first half of the game. After halftime, I got my act together though. Just did another VB game last Friday night. It went very smoothly! I felt like I was in total control...without controlling the game. Like BktBallRef says, it takes time!

Call what you see!

I find it easier to call games when MORE people are in the crowd. That way, I can't hear "Mrs. Little Johnnie" as she screams over all the other parents, "Travel", "Foul", "You guys are terrible!"

If there are 20 "Mr. & Mrs. Little Johnnie's" in the crowd, they drown each other out!!
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 12:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

glind: Congrats! I think you jsut need a few more games under your belt. I think in these cases, it's about experience. It sounds like you can handle mechanics very well - but that you were "sort of jerky with mechanics". Were you a little nervous. I know I was for my first Varsity (Senior here in Canada) game. It also sounds like yure comfortable with your game. I'd say a couple more V games and you'll feel right into it.

Like Indy_ref, I too find it easier to call a game when more people are there.

I did a JV (Junior here in Canada) games yesterdya that went to 2-TO. Well, the girl's volleyball game in the other gym ended, and spectators form that started piling in at the end of the 4th quarter. I loved it! I would have stepped up my game anyways, but to hear the "ooooh's" and "aahhh's" of the great is a rush. (Maybe it's because I'm lucky to do 3 games a year with a crowd like that.)

here's a story about a JV game during my first year: I was L and called a block at the end of the 4th quarter against a player trying to defend a drive down the lane, that during our post-game, I clearly learned was a charge. (If ever there's a time for a double whistle.... ) Winner goes on to the playoffs, loser is out. Well, I decided the game with that call. Visiting team ends up winning on the foul shots. (Made both for a 1 point lead.) Home team gets off final shot that was short.

..Mike
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the encourgement guys. Hopefully I will be alittle smoother Friday night as I have a boys varsity game. I to do enjoy doing JV games with a large crowd but for some reason last night I kinda wish that the crowd was not as big. There is a local school that I do JV games for that their Varsity team is 8-0 so they are starting to get a big following and by half time of the JV game the place is pretty well packed and I love that.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how the next one goes.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

congrats on your first varsity game. I had mine the last game of my first season.I too was scared, but worked hard and have never looked back. Get a good veteran to come watch you do your next game. have him or her sit in on the pre-game, and to give you a fair evalutation of the job you do in the game. I think we should be a little nervous before the games, cause it tells yourself you care what kind of job you want to do! The best advice is to keep your ears and eyes open and don't be afraid to ask questions.You just need more floor time with the bigger kids, and the faster played games. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 02:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking I do not even remember my first varsity game.

I was so scared and nervous, I did not remember where it was or whether it was girls or boys. It was just a blurr. I do remember my first season of full varsity games, and the first one that year I was scared like a deer in headlights. I was breathing so hard and felt dizzy. So if you did not feel confrontable, get in line, I am sure I was not the only one that felt that way. But do not fell bad about it. It is not that much different than riding a bike for the first time, you are terrified at first, but after awhile, you do not even think about what you are doing, you just do it.

Good Job and stay positive.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

I got a double whammy on first varsity game...

My partner didn't show! There were no problems and I wish I got more.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Wink

My first varisty game was way too many years ago. What I remember most was a snow storm came into the mountains of WV and my partner never made it to the game. Others seemed like a piece of cake after that.
Remember this.......someone (commissioner, assigner, fellow officials) has the confidence in you to assign you these games. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK>
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I didn't have too much time to worry. It was my second year, I did the JV game and one of the Varsity officials did not show.

I think getting thrown right in helped, I had no time to think.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

You are not experiencing anything else that we all have. I done this for 20 years at all levels. I still get a little nervous before a big games or play-off games. The only difference is once the game starts, I forget about that. These days I am more nervous about my partner(s) who has little experience and thinks he can call it all.

It will get easier!!!
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks to everyone!

It is good to no that everyone had to start out with a first game. What I mean is sometimes I see guys that are great refs and I can't even hardly picture these guys getting nervous or having a "first game". I really feel that this site has helped me alot by answering questions that I have had and also I have gotten some great laughes for some of the posts. Everyone on here seems to have a great sense of humor.

I have my second varsity game tonight and it is a boys. I already feel more comfortable at this point on Tues. I was very nervous now I'm just a little nervous. I let you all know how it goes later.

Thanks again for the words of advice.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

It sounds to me that you are your toughest critic and that's not a bad thing. Keep your head in the game and don't sweat the small stuff. Keep a good crisp whistle and mechanics, don't let them rattle you and most importantly have fun.

Good Luck